Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Roger Waters Dark Side of the Moon tour « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6721
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone heard any feedback on this show?

It is coming to the Palace Monday night...

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm listening to the 9-8 show from Mansfield as I'm writing this....Here's the setlist....

101. Opening theme
102. In The Flesh?
103. Mother
104. Set the Controls for the Heart Of the Sun >
105. Shine on You Crazy Diamond *
106. Have A Cigar >
107. Wish You Were Here *
108. Southampton Dock
109. Fletcher Memorial Home
110. Perfect Sense (Parts 1 & 2)
111. Leaving Beirut #
112. Sheep #

201. Speak to Me >
202. Breathe >
203. On the Run >
204. Time
205. Great Gig in the Sky
206. Money
207. Us and Them >
208. Any Colour You Like
209. Brain Damage >
210. Eclipse
211. Band Intros
212. E: The Happiest Days of Our Lives >
212. E: Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)
213. E: Vera >
214. E: Bring the Boys Back Home >
215. E: Comfortably Numb

He plays all of Darkside

Gannon

Post Number: 6732
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got some KILLER tickets for the show.

Friend works for an auto suppler, and learned he's in their suite.

I got whatever he was able to buy within ten minutes of their sale date start...didn't even bother to ask him where they were.

I cannot wait, this'll be my first Floyd-type experience ever...certainly the spirit of Syd will be hovering around us...

Gannon

Post Number: 6737
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bonger,

Are you at liberty to discuss where you acquired this set recording?! I'd LOVE to hear it.

If it is MP3 encoded...oh heck with my high-end audio snobbery...I want it!

Cheers!

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol....no mp3s for me. I didn't spin crackling little 45s as a kid so I could take a step backwards now.

By the way, Snowy White is on guitar for this tour. That's a good thing.

Lowell doesn't condone such talk here, but if and when we ever meet, I do share.

You ever watch "Pulse" ?

Gannon

Post Number: 6741
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Feel free to e-mail me, just put your handle in the subject line so I don't lose it in the spam.

When we went through that Syd retrospective down in Tucson a month or so back, my client played everything he had...but it was quite a blur.

So, if I did, I don't specifically remember it.

That was a heavily alcohol-fueled event...our little wake for the missing genius amongst the powerful group he helped start.

Gannon

Post Number: 6823
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazing show last night.

Waters surrounds himself with technicians...not just musicians. That's even a pun, the surround-sound mix was incredibly involving, for all those seats. My friend didn't even notice it until his wife and I pointed it out to him, it was that seamlessly blended into the main stage performance.

Each portion of the show was impeccably done, and his strong anti-war message couldn't be missed. I'm sure by the end of the concert any remaining members of the religious right W worship team were VERY tired of the verbal bludgeoning.

I will never be able to hear The Dark Side of the Moon the same ever again. Waters rocks.

Thought we were a wee 'reverse profiled'...there was NO searching of individuals that I witnessed, except for ONE woman's purse...and no obvious metal-detectors. 12,000 mostly white folks gathered in a suburban arena must not be at risk.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great show. "Set The Controls For The Heart of The Sun" was the show stopper for me. Can you imagine seeing a whole show of that pyschadelic overload back in the day. Simply an awesome show from start to finish. I did miss Gilmour though.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 5044
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just gave a listen to one of the shows from New York City this tour. Meh. I'll take what Gilmour is doing these days any day.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeahhhhhh....I love Roger, but Dave does most of the difficult singing. I dont want to hear Waters singing "wish you were here" or "money" etc. Ive seen Roger solo live three times, always a great show when he sticks to his own material - ie that he originally sang.

Pros and Cons of HitchHiking at Joe Louis - great show. Pulled out strange old tunes like "If". Missed Clapton though, he bowed out of the tour calling it "downright depressing".

Radio Chaos at Pine Knob - eh..Still a good show but hard to jam to that album.

Now, Gilmours "About Face" tour - Holy SHIT was that good ! He played at Pine Knob (pre rennovation)and the last note of "All Lovers Are Deranged" shook rust out of the old pavillion.

Yeah, I'll have to side with Dave - if I gotta take sides.

The_aram

Post Number: 5047
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to mention that Roger Waters is a massive, massive tool.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1792
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the meantime Jeff Beck truly one of the greats on guitar was at the Opera house Mon eve; did anyone go?

The_aram

Post Number: 5050
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was he really? I love his early post-Yardbirds records.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 676
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was the quality any better or worse than the 1994 Division Bell tour that's being pushed on DVD now?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3605
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When are they going to release an official BBC/Live cd? they have the material, and much of it is on bootleg albums, but if they cleaned it up, I bet it would sell 5-6 million copies easily.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 455
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi CL, a friend of mine went to the Jeff Beck show and had a great time. He was in car load of Torontonian Floyd fanatics who dropped him off at the show on their way to Waters. Apparently Beck was excellent, he's not playing anywhere nearer to T.O. than Detroit but I couldn't go. I passed on Waters here, too. I've seen him, but I don't mind if I never hear Dark Side of the Moon again, even though I did get a real kick out of the Easy All Stars' Dub Sided of The Moon and was amazed by Frankie Paul's adept take of "Us and Them". I've seen Frankie Paul before, but I missed him here last summer, I'm not sure if much reggae comes to Detroit these days?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I love his early post-Yardbirds records."

Aram - try to find an album called "Box of Frogs" by the band of the same name. Beck with the YBirds ! (Their second album "Strange Land" features Pagey instead of Beck.) That first album with Beck absolutely smokes.

Floydian note: on Gilmours second solo album About Face, the song "Murder" has a section at the end where Gilmour is paying direct homage to Jeff Beck who is a major influence on parts of Daves style.

My favorite Beck is still on "Beck, Bogert and Appice".

Jeffs version of Manic Depression with Seal on the Hendrix covers album is HOT HOT. His guitar sounds like a screaming horse at the very end of the track...

"My woman so willing, She's the cause of my pain...."

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the Jeff Beck show the night of the Waters concert. Its strange 20 years ago Waters was my favorite, and for the last few its Beck. And both played the same night is cruel.
I thought I had row 2 seats at the opera house only to find out it was row 2 of the mini suites they have. Still great seats and an awesome show. The only problem for me is he brought out this female singer a couple times for about 4 songs. I preferred the burning guitar licks myself. Still a great show and the Opera house is awesome. Everyone needs to go their and see what a great venue we have right downtown.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.