Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Aiming For Unity « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6711
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On another thread, a few forumers decided to meet up in real life to discuss some of the more curious issues that usually serve to deeply divide us...at least specifically the viewpoints understood by us regarding our various religious backgrounds.

I have read a number of books that seek to illuminate and investigate the possiblity of compromise amongst the religions on the way to a peaceful co-existence in our world...and want to see if anything even remotely like the fantasy that I imagine in my head and heart can become reality. To that end, I have decided to title this thread as you read it.

In my quest to reduce or eliminate the stigma of publicly discussing politics and religion, I am whole-heartedly honestly offering some energy to providing a venue for this sort of free and open speech.

I fully believe that mere human adults should be able to engage in civil sharing of their knowledge, understanding and belief without dredging too deeply the more base reactions that seem to plague this sort thing.

Tonight, we aimed to have a meet and greet near the Wayne State University campus. AFTER agreeing to this with ONE fellow from Ann Arbor...Frenchman_in_the_d...( and hearing some vague agreement from both Gistok and Barnesfoto) I noticed in the Metro Times that it is the same evening as the Amy Goodman of Democracy Now speech nearby.

There does seem to be some confusion about the location of the Goodman speech, I had read Racham Auditorium, near Woodward and Warren, but the website says Hilberry Theater. I cannot imagine that they have an open Friday, but it might be too early in the thespian schoolyear for any staged production. We'll know when I go to get the tickets, and I will obviously co-ordinate with anyone I know is coming.

I would LOVE to be able to do BOTH, so I propose an early dinner at the Mediterranean restaurant on the south side of Warren Avenue east of Cass...then attending her speech, a block and a half in either direction depending on the real venue...and then migrating over to the Amsterdam Coffee House to get to know those who wish to begin a live dialogue.

IF anyone is interested, I guess we need to get our General Admission tickets for Amy Goodman directly from WDET, for $12 apiece. I will make myself available to buy them for those who cannot make it down early enough, but am loathe to do so unless I can confirm that the request is not a hoax.

Dinner at six, speech at seven, coffee talk afterwards until we decide to dissolve it.

If anyone is game, either post here...or click on my name at the left to send me an e-mail.

I sincerely hope that this last-minute appeal doesn't upset anyone, there will hopefully be at least one other meeting of this group...tonight is merely intended as a test run to see if anyone besides Frenchie and me are willing to set spark to this idea.

We'll need other kindling to keep the fire going if it starts...

Cheers,
John

Please, peanut gallery, I am NOT interested in anyone's opinion of our efforts. The Hot Fudge Group of Professional Cynics (and the occasional dis-affected flaming asshole) will most certainly chime in with their editorial, if not some wildly funny parody of this very post...most of you know how to find their site.

Lowell or Aiw, please simply remove any and all posts that are not directly involved with the assembling and furthering of our goals here in this thread. Thanks in advance.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Lowell or Aiw, please simply remove any and all posts that are not directly involved with the assembling and furthering of our goals here in this thread. Thanks in advance.

I didn't know we had the ability to request editorial censorship on posts.

Lowell and AIW, please remove every response to something I write that doesn't further the intent of my post.

Thanks in advance,

dabirch

Gannon

Post Number: 6733
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could have easily said this on HFD.

I mean, you have an allegiance with them...

I just didn't want the clutter of detracting noise, it's going to be tough enough getting anyone daring enough to join up with us.

Heh, Da, you're gonna get it...LOL.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daring?

Gannon

Post Number: 6735
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ain't too many people willing to publicly get together with strangers specifically for the purpose of opening discussion of these tender incorrectly taboo'd subjects.

It will probably be a very lonely night for me.

Gannon

Post Number: 6736
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may appear delusional much of the time, but it really ain't so.

Firefly
Username: Firefly

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll join up with you. If you'll do...err, I mean if you'll have me.

Gannon

Post Number: 6740
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know which one you are, but hey...if you can get me the name of that Mediterranean restaurant and it's operating hours then you're already on my A list.

I've got to call WDET and find out if they're selling tickets at the door...'cuz I'm stuck on a jobsite in Royal Oak.

Slaving away with some Al Green, Barry White, and Stevie Wonder motivating me from the guy's iPod. I'm finally beginning to appreciate the value in these little pretty musical hard-drives.

Just got his subwoofer hooked up...this place is jammin'.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1858
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,

I do not want to clutter up anything. I apologize.

You are trying to be serious, and I was actually just seeing if AIW would remove my post.

Good luck tonight, and I trust others will show.

Cheers,

db

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6874
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell and AIW, please remove every response to something I write that doesn't further the intent of my post.

Was it your intent to insult yourself? Cuz that's where I'm planning on going...

Gannon

Post Number: 6760
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump, so Frenchman_in_the_D can find it easier.

Amsterdam Coffeehouse does NOT have extended hours, according an AOL website I found through Google...looks like this night is a bust.

There is always next Friday, still a week before your driving suspension, Frenchy.

Cheers!

Gannon

Post Number: 6761
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, so how many of you noticed the Amy Goodman talk is next week?! heh

I cannot let a little thing like the divisions of the flow of time hinder my enthusiasm.

That Amy Goodman speech is NEXT WEEK...I just busted my butt to shower, hack my face shaving, and rushed over to Hilberry.

Found it empty.

A wee bit slower then, over to Rackham.

Empty.

Then my photo memory flashed the web page...and at the top in bold print, September 22, 2006.

Checked my Palm, sure enough, it's only the 15th.

UGH.

Talk about your seventeen mile per hour windspeed through the ears...

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you need a little shut-eye, Gannon. Haven't you been posting for at least 24 straight hours now?
LOL

Gannon

Post Number: 6762
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only when the computer is turned on and I notice it when I come to a pause.

Gannon

Post Number: 6763
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Took me five years to cold-turkey Solitaire.

Don't talk to me about Doom.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.