Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Bubba Helms Photo « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 68.61.230.11
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been scouring the internet for that picture of Bubba helms and the burning car after the 1984 Detroit World Series win.

any ideas? I've been at it for hours. Everything that I do seem to find leads to error pages (probably because the free/news changed their directory structures.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1984
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try doing a Google search and use the "cache" feature. Google has most of the freep and snews pages stored on their computers before they overhauled everything.

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 628
Posted From: 206.18.111.5
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good luck. I couldn't find one either. Wish I would've saved the old article/profile I had of him from the Freep back in 1984...EXTREMELY coincidental, no doubt, that Bvos's post above was #1984.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10593
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, there was a pic on the forum not too many years ago. A quick search used to easily find him. That seems to have changed now that the guy is dead. Anybody recall what he died from? It was only a few years back, he was fairly young in I recall, like in his 30's.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1147
Posted From: 208.39.170.78
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Self-inflicted gunshot to the head, I believe.

Supersport

Post Number: 10595
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it really? I was thinking it was some disease. If I recall, hadn't he and his family moved down south, Kentucky or Tennessee maybe?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1148
Posted From: 208.39.170.78
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/cgi-bin/f oroum/discus.cgi?pg=next&topic =23585&page=30202

A quote from the article on the above link thread:

quote:

On the morning of the shooting, Helms' 2-year-old son was in his grandpa's arms, watching, as his dad pulled the trigger. Faye Helms said her grandson still talks about that day.

Helms failed to end his misery with the gun. Doctors wired shut his shattered jaw and sent him home with pain pills.

Two weeks later, on May 5, 2001, Helms drove to a friend's trailer. He swallowed a bottle of pain pills. He started convulsing.

After an investigation, Dr. James Wahl, DeKalb County medical examiner, said Helms died of an intentional overdose due to depression.

Apparently he had bad aim.

Supersport

Post Number: 10596
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO...just stopped in to post that.

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I've found one. In case you want to see it....

my username dot com

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Color version..

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3142
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, he was way ahead of the times with that bare midriff stuff. All the girls copy him now. All he was missing was a belly button piercing and a derrier tattoo.

Bubba representin' on the brick streets of Michigan Ave. - a classic tragi-comic figure.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can almost quote part of the original article that went with the picture. He and his buddies "smoked a couple of bad ones" after drinking a fifth of Old Turkey or something like it and then celebrated in front of the police car they helped turn upside down and set on fire.

Bad ones indeed.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 571
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

then celebrated in front of the police car they helped turn upside down and set on fire.

I thought he said he saw a camera and jumped in front of it but he was not involved in starting the fire.

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 129
Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had also always heard he had just stumbled upon the scene and jumped in front of the camera. It makes the story that much more tragic.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.