Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Vanilla Beans & Grade B Maple Syrup « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 69.3.206.177
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know where, in the metro Detroit area, I can procure: 1) fresh vanilla beans & 2) grade b maple syrup by the quart?

I know the vanilla bean pods are available online, but I was hoping to support an area merchant.

As for the grade b maple syrup, I've been told some stores in the area have it, but I have been unable to locate them.

Thanks so much in advance for any tips.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 98
Posted From: 12.159.32.66
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that Cloverleaf fine wines in southfield (on northwestern) has some tahitian vanilla beans available, hopefully still in stock. not sure about maple syrup, however.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6853
Posted From: 69.136.149.133
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rafal Spice Co. in Eastern Market: 313-259-6373

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6671
Posted From: 69.47.53.101
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your best source for Maple syrup is the fellow in the shed in the Market, it is ALL locally sourced, at least Northern Michigan local. GREAT guy, and he always sits in the north end of the second shed (I think) next to the locally-sourced HONEY guy.

Don't stop at B, he carries Grade C...even MORE rich with nutrients and taste. The Grade A is the refined stuff for weak American palates.

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 324
Posted From: 70.236.200.44
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm being nosey...what are you cooking / baking up Awfavre?

Also, I have to second Itsjeff and Gannon; try Rafal Spice for your vanilla beans and maple syrup guy in the market.

If, for some crazy reason, you cannot find vanilla beans at Rafal you can try Williams-Sonoma (Laurel Park, Twelve Oaks) as I saw them there on a recent visit. You might also have some luck at Holiday Market or Trader Joe's in Royal Oak.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6854
Posted From: 69.136.149.133
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Friend Gannon is, I belive, mistaken. The grades of syrup refer only to the coloring. The taste and texture is, otherwise, constant.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1336
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting thread title. What does one use Grade B Maple Syrup for? Thursday and I want to know!

Urbanvaquero
Username: Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 313
Posted From: 12.75.45.117
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All maple syrup grades are the same density, which is to say that no one grade is "more refined" than another, and the grades refer largely to color. Grade A is, essentially, the same syrup as Grade B.

That said, there may be variations in taste (and possibly nutrients, although any variations in that regard would be negligible) among the different grades.

The color difference is due only to inter-seasonal variations in sap flow and have nothing to do with the amount of time it took to boil (or reduce by reverse osmosis)the sap into syrup.

Grade A is the lightest and most desirable, though that is largely a cosmetic concern. Grade B is darker and {i}may be slightly more "maple-y." Grades C and D, not often found for sale on the shelf, are often used in industrial settings.

Enjoy the pancakes.

-- Brenda.

Gannon

Post Number: 6676
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh, Itsjeff...sounds like a challenge.

I'll take Dr. Stanley Burroughs evidence and analysis...he recommends the Grade B or C (if you can get it) because of the beforementioned reasons.

First link is to a wonderful colon-cleansing website...the other to Amazon.com's listing of his little pamplet that describes his now famouse lemonade fast that helps correct an american-diet-clogged digestive system.

I'll never forget Tavis Smiley's reaction when Isaac Hayes stepped into his studio...the usually very in-control Tavis simply LOST IT when he met Isaac and saw that he looked identical to the cover of the Tavis' thirty-year-old first album purchase that he intended Isaac to sign.

"I can't get over it...I'm looking at your picture from thirty years ago, then at you here...and you look EXACTLY the same. What's your secret?!"

Then Chef's deep-baritone voice chimed in, "Well, Tavis, let me tell you about Dr. Stanley Burroughs of Reno, Nevada."

I'd known about the good doctor for about fifteen years, but thought him a wee bit insane...and at least YOU know how far out in left field that puts him, Its. But earlier that SAME week, a good client in Dearborn had given me that little pamphlet...took me half the read to notice I'd already taken it in...fifteen years ago. To have it mentioned on NPR a few days later was a bit eerie!!

The Eastern Market fellow told me it is the earliest of the season's tap...perhaps the tree is spent at the end of the seasonal flow.

Gannon

Post Number: 6677
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I put in on my Irish steel-cut oatmeal...with some fresh cinamon from Rafal.

Yum.

Brenda, I think you are most correct...but at least with Burroughs recipe, since he's mixing it with lemonade perhaps the industrial stuff withstands the acidic 'cut'.

Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 314
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure the colon-cleansing quack knows all about making maple syrup and has only suggested grade C because it is the most nutritious and not because gullible people will ignorantly buy something they've been told is "less refined." Brown rice is good for you, so all dark foods are good for you, too. (All the more reason I won't drink clear liquor? )

It's "industrial" because it's generally considered too dark from a marketing standpoint for table use and so it is used to make factory food. Brach's maple nut goodies come to mind, if there's any real maple in them.

--Brenda

Gannon

Post Number: 6680
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used the 'refined' term, it was the quickest thing that jumped to mind...I'm pretty sure I didn't get it from him.

Goodness Brenda, you're being highly sarcastic tonight...something up your butt?!

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 127
Posted From: 69.213.206.54
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a lady i work with does a cleanse similiar to that where she drinks jugs of maple syrup and lemon water for like 10 days or some crap.
funny thing she always looks the same.

and sorry i am of no help otherwise.

Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 315
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I had a colonic, and now I'm trying to figure out how to sweeten a stinging nettle and jalapeno concoction without using granulated sugar or corn syrup to help the "medicine" go down.

The recipe will soon be available for purchase at amway.com.

--Brenda

Thursdaynext

Post Number: 325
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda, if you want a natural sweetener that is not sugar, try Stevia. This was recommended to me by my holistic Dr. as well as the nutritionist at his office. I didn't particularly care for it, but it doesn't mean it wouldn't work for you.

Here's a link with some info on the herb.
http://www.stevia.net/

How did we go from vanilla beans and maple syrup to colon cleansing??

Back to the original thread...Awfavre, what are you making? I must know. Yummy candies or pies perhaps? :-)

Thursdaynext

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About maple syrup grades:

http://www.massmaple.org/gradi ng.html

Gannon

Post Number: 6689
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great find, Thursdaynext...I had it backwards!

So much for my verbal learning skills at 8 a.m. on a Saturday morning.

I'm going to search out that Burroughs book and report what he said about the matter.

Don't touch that dial...

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1983
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Northwest Detroit Farmer's Market at Bushnell Congregational Church at Sflf Fwy & Grand River has a guy who sells extensive arrays of honey and maple syrup. Might be the same guy at Eastern Market. If you show up between 4 and 8 today he'll have his array of products out. If he doesn't have it today he can definately get it to you quickly.

Awfavre

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 69.3.206.177
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To answer your question, Thursdaynext, I seek these fine, noble ingredients for the purpose of making beer--nothing so noble as colon cleansing or otherwise being healthy. :-)

I recently brewed a batch of maple porter made with the Grade A stuff from the Trail’s End folks (Vermontville, MI) at the State Fair. The day after the batch went into the fermenting bucket, I learned of the existence of Grade B maple syrup. DOH! I guess I’ll just have to try again with the Grade B, assuming the maple porter is a decent recipe. (Breaks my heart, that having to try again stuff.)

In the meantime, I crave vanilla porter, since Atwater’s new vanilla java porter just isn’t the same as the old vanilla porter. I found a couple recipes I’d like to try, but I need the fresh vanilla beans to make it.

Thanks so much for everyone’s help. I can’t get anywhere to buy stuff this week (carpooling), but I’ll give it a shot next week.

Hysteria

Post Number: 1339
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds good!

Gannon

Post Number: 6699
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa!

SO much more honorable an endeavor than mere digestive track cleansing...

...cool Awfavre, let us know how it works out for you.

It does sound like you need the industrial strength stuff...my damn scientific-method head wants you to try both B and C, cutting the wort in half, rather than doubling your costs...to see IF there is much difference.

Thursdaynext

Post Number: 330
Posted From: 70.227.216.34
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mmmm...beer"

Hysteria

Post Number: 1340
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Hairybackjoe
Username: Hairybackjoe

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can also purchase whole vanilla beans at Whole Foods

Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 322
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can also purchase half-price vanilla beans at Aldi. Cuts through the pipes in half the time!

-Brenda

Awfavre

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn’t able to make it to Eastern Market this weekend, but I stopped at the Rafal Spice Co this morning before work & bought some vanilla beans and some Grade B maple syrup made at a sugar bush (in Clare, MI) not far from where I grew up. What a WONDERFUL store!

Beer #1 Update: The maple porter was racked into the secondary fermenter 10 days ago & should be ready for bottling this weekend or next. After that, it’ll sit for a month or so.

Beer #2 Update: Yesterday, I brewed an amalgamated mish-mash of recipe ingredients to make the vanilla porter. Tonight, I’ll start soaking the vanilla beans in white rum for the length of the primary fermentation. When it’s ready to go into the secondary fermenter, I’ll pour the whole rum/vanilla bean concoction in with the beer. It should be ready for tasting around Thanksgiving, at which point I shall determine if I should be giving thanks to the beer gods. :-)

Thanks again for everyone’s help!

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 870
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awfavre, at what point did you add the maple syrup? I wouldn't think it would make for very good fermentation, make sure to check your specific gravity......It might make a good substitute for bottling sugar though, and impart a very maple flavor to the beer......

Gambling_man

Post Number: 871
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and pure vanilla extract is exactly what you are attempting to do, soaking them in alcohol.....the ones you buy from the store are at least 35% alcohol by law.......

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yum. beer.

You may be way ahead of me on this, but I use vanilla beans for making kahlua. Somewhere I picked up the practice of slicing the beans lengthwise - not into pieces, just split the sides open - to open up the innards of the bean. It breaks the skin and helps the flavor mix in.

or you already knew this...

Anyhow, hope it comes out great.

Michikraut
Username: Michikraut

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 5:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow- good thread, learned lots of neat stuff about Syrup, digestive cleansing, beer brewing tips (will pass onto brother - isn´t beer itself a cleanser of urinary and digestive system??)and vanilla beans. This make DYes fun to visit.

Michikraut

Post Number: 183
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 6:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This Dr. Burroughs diet has some eerie similarities with the "cure" recommend by Dr. Kellog in his sanitarium in Battle Creek. He also was a firm believer in colonic cleansing and was quite varied in the solutions. Thanks- but I will stick to my morning oatmeal(this irish cut?? what is the difference??, whole grain breads, and veggies. That is enough ballast stuff. The beer sound tasty! Hope my brother takes the hint.

Michikraut

Post Number: 184
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This Dr. Burroughs diet has some eerie similarities with the "cure" recommend by Dr. Kellog in his sanitarium in Battle Creek. He also was a firm believer in colonic cleansing and was quite varied in the solutions. Thanks- but I will stick to my morning oatmeal(this irish cut?? what is the difference??), whole grain breads, and veggies. That is enough ballast stuff. The beer sound tasty! Hope my brother takes the hint.

Dave
Username: Dave

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Awfavre...
now that you have a source for maple syrup and honey, why not make an Acergln (maple syrup mead.
Here's a recipe

ACERGLYN

4 Liters of Canadian Medium Maple Syrup (Bought it in Canada so it's Liters )
12 Pounds Clover Honey
2 Teaspoons Fermaid
Water to 6 gallons
Lalvin D254 - 24 Grams

Here is the procedure I used following the recommendation of Wrathwilde, one of the GotMead.Com regulars:

"The best way to get the maple flavor is to add 1/2 the maple syrup up front and 1/2 towards the end of fermentation with D47. This will ensure that most of the unfermented sugars come from the maple syrup. I've done batches both ways; all up front and staggered... the difference in taste is extreme. Staggered is the way to go. K1V will likely take the batch to dry; D47 will leave you residual sugars. I've had very good results with Lalvin's D254, available here, and it would be perfect for the recipe as stated. Same as method as stated for D47. D254 is also good for lees aging.

Here's what I'd do.

Mix 1/2 tsp Goferm in 120 ml of distilled water @ 110(f).
Rehydrate 2 packs of D254 when temp drops to 104(f).
Mix honey and 1/2 of the maple syrup with 4 gallons water.
Add 2 tsp Fermaid K and 1 tsp DAP at the end of the Yeast lag phase.
Stir violently to aerate twice a day (1st three days only) if you don't have an Oxygen or air pump system.
A primary bucket is preferred during the first three days, for stirring and blow off concerns.
At the end of the third day pour the must (using a sanitized funnel) into a 6 or 6.5 gallon glass carboy.
Add 1 1/2 tsp Fermaid K at the 1/3rd sugar break
Keep in a cool place during fermentation, D254 can run hot.

When your airlock drops to 1 blip every 15 seconds give
your batch a good stir to degas before adding the rest of the maple syrup. Then stir well again after adding maple syrup, being careful not to stir violently or you risk aerating your batch. Your airlock activity should pick up considerably within 6 hours.
When your airlock drops again to 1 blip every 15 seconds rack off into your secondary carboy. Stir weekly. When your fermentation stops completely (stable hydrometer readings) rack again and bulk age as long as you can stand. I consider 6 months a minimum".

Good Luck !

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michikraut: "(this irish cut [oatmeal]?? what is the difference??)"

The usual buy-it-at-the-supermarket box contains "rolled oats" which are the result of steaming, rolling, and then flaking the whole oat. "Irish cut" are chopped whole oats--coarser texture, chewier, and take a bit longer to cook.

Gambling_man

Post Number: 879
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If any of you are considering trying the above recipe for making Maple syrup Mead, let it be known that it will be incredibly sweet....tasting exactly like sugar water....without hops (or another bittering agent), beer or mead is really just sugar water.

Gannon

Post Number: 6899
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In their basic form, they take a helluva lot longer to cook.

But it is worth it to me...there is no comparison to rolled oats.

My Corktown aunt says to soak them in the water overnight to reduce cooking times, but I haven't been brave enough to try it yet!

Closer you get to microwaveable food, the further you are from taste, texture, and complete nutrition.

Dave

Post Number: 105
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gambling_man, You can be a beer lover if you want, but it's really silly to think that alcoholic beverages without hops or some other bittering agent are just sugar water. The sugars are changed to alcohol. Try a glass of Welch's then a glass of dry wine. Betcha the wine doesn't seem sugary. Meads are wines made with honey. They can be dry, semi-sweet, or sweet. They can be still or sparkling. Acerglyns are meads that also have maple sugar mixed into the fermentation. Here is another acerglyn recipe with the maker's opinion that it tastes like Bourbon, and he recommends you drink it on the rocks.
http://davespicks.com/writing/ mme/recipes/honeymaple.html
dave

Michikraut

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zephyrprocess and Gannon: Thanks for the info- will keep my eyes open at the grocery store. I like chewy Oatmeal and breads. Just haven´t gotten into whole-grain noodles. A new "Bio" (what is the english term for "green" products??) supermarket just opened around the corner. They(there are two chains over here) are expanding and opening stores at a rapid pace. Just like a regular supermarket with good selection and somewhat normal prices but with the difference that the products are from controlled and certified farmers and producers who don´t use genetically enhanced seeds and environmentally sound farming practices. How is that scene developing in the States???

Gannon

Post Number: 6918
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slowly.

The FDA codified the term 'organic', and now the honest small-time farmers cannot afford to certify themselves enough to USE the same word they've used for decades to describe the excellent old-school ways they grow their food.

There is an excellent book out about the food system in the US, that might be a neat comparison to your experiences in the UK market, called The Omnivore's Dilemma.

At least it might encourage you to look for more permanency to your UK stay...unless, of course, you WANT to look like the average American. Heh.

btw, that steel-cut oatmeal is imported to here from Ireland...McCann's...I would be very surprised if you couldn't find it there.

Cheers!

Michikraut

Post Number: 189
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-0, lol

Now that you spelled it out, I had caught a whiff of that story; i.e. Federal government guidelines and what a "crock" it was turning out to be. Too bad- for I think there are many people out there who don´t feel at ease using genetic-modified products and would prefer to support smaller artisan farmers and food producers. I am living over here in Germany(yes- I do converse with Detroitcafe and Duo). Though at times I would like to move back to the Michigan my main goal is to make this move somewhat more permanent(12+ years). As far as the body proportion- the germans are catching up fast to the average American. With the prevelance of computer games, the growing phen. of "couch potatoes", a majority of household now having to have both parents working and less time for home-cooked meals, and a already pretty starchy diet the german kids are ballooning. It is quite dramatic. Not as bad as in the States but catching up. Going to make a trip to British Store if the "Organic"(BASIC or ALL NATURAL) Supermarket doesn´t carry the irish stuff. I want crunchy-chewy!

Awfavre

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, time to turn this discussion back to beer.

Gambling_man, I added the syrup right after the bittering hops boil, then boiled another 30 minutes or so, then added the finishing hops. Gravity-wise, I don’t recall the exact original & final gravity measurements, but after doing the calculations, it worked out to about 6.6% ABV. I do recall the original gravity was quite high, not surprisingly.

Beer Updates: For the maple porter, next time around, I’ll use about 24 - 30 oz of Grade B maple syrup instead of 32 oz of the regular, & I’ll let it sit in the secondary fermenter for another week or so. My biggest mistake so far [knock on wood] was forgetting to add the priming sugar before bottling. It’s a tad flat, needless to say. It’s only aged in the bottles for about 3 weeks, & it tastes very young & sweeter than I’d like for this recipe, but generally good. It needs to age at least another month or so. The general porter recipe seems good, though, so I can’t wait to try again with the Grade B stuff.

The vanilla porter is still sitting patiently in the secondary fermenter, waiting for bottling. I’ll probably do that next week. Ptero, I first sliced the vanilla beans lengthwise, then chopped the slices into one-inch pieces. They smelled so good . . . .

On Sunday, I plan to make a holiday beer. I love the clove taste of good holiday beers.

Dave, I’d love to make mead someday, & your recipe sounds great, albeit a bit intimidating. And thanks for the subsequent link. I love the thought you can ferment just about anything.

If anyone wants to try some interesting extract-based recipes (I’m not ready to go to all-grain brewing just yet), www.wooba.org has some tasty-sounding ones, including the maple porter & the holiday beer. I’d love to try to the raspberry stout recipe with real berries. I don’t follow his recipes exactly (I use more water to create the wort, & I use one White Labs liquid yeast, instead of 2 dry yeast packets), but it’s neither rocket science nor brain surgery.

This post is making me thirsty. I think I’ll go to King Brewery tonight. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 334
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is still active?!

--Brenda

Gannon

Post Number: 6927
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's like digestion, honey, hopefully going on and on and on...

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 167
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Costco or Sam has Grade B maple syrup. Fairly inexpensive for a quart to.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't wait 'til "Vanilla Beans & Grade B Maple Syrup" finally opens. It's going to be the greatest place since Beans & Cornbread, or Roosevelt's Chicken & Waffles! Does anyone know if they'll be getting a liquor license?

Dave

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need to work out a location. Where are you going to put it Awfavre?
dave

PS sounds like a great song title too. Maybe we can get Thornetta to sing it.

Awfavre

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, it’s been a dream of mine to open a brewpub/coffee shop in Soo, Michigan called Beans, Boats, & Brew, but that would be kinda far from Motown. Not to mention the Soo really doesn’t need any more establishments serving alcoholic beverages, but it would be a great place for me to indulge in many of my favorite hobbies!

Dave, I tried to make the Ancient Orange & Spice Mead last weekend. Everything was swell until I went to check the gravity & dropped the 3-gallon carboy on the kitchen floor (it slipped through the straps of the carrying harness). Let me tell you, there is nothing like cleaning a carpet full of honey water, glass shards, & blood. Fortunately, the cuts healed well, & I can vouch for the cleaning effectiveness of a good Rug Doctor. The worst part was losing 10.5 lbs of all that beautiful honey--it was locally harvested.

Needless to say, I haven’t been particularly motivated to make another batch, but I’m sure I will, eventually. I’m pondering names for a new batch, if it ever comes to fruition. So far, I like “I Didn’t Break This Damn Batch” the best.

Dave

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never dropped a carboy, but break a hydrometer everytime I make something. Maybe you should have thrown the rug, blood and glass into the fermenter. It probably would of added a note of terroir to the mead.
dave

Gannon

Post Number: 7565
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unbroken Mead has a ring to it...like the recipe continuing through the years.

UGH, sorry about your loss, we...and the angry bees...feel your pain.

LOL, why do we need to turn this thing into the blues? I'm sure Thornetta would knock it out of the park...but can't we lighten it up some?

Although with that woman as your spokesperson, anyone and everyone who hears her shill for you will have a serious jones...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3322
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All this colonic talk reminds me of the movie "The Road to Wellville" with Matthew Broderick (Ferris Bueller's Day Off)... about Dr. William Kellogg (of cereal fame) and his "health resort". Still thinking about Broderick's 5 quart yogurt colonic.... :-(

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a tour this Fall in New Hampshire of a small but rather productive family-owned Maple syrup factory. The statistic I came home with which really surprised me was being told that it takes 20 gallons of sap from the maple tree to make just one gallon of pure Maple syrup. Wow!! Is that right??

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Wikipedia's Maple syrup:

quote:

It takes approximately 40 litres of sap to make one litre of maple syrup

How the Native Americans ever learned to make the stuff is beyond me.

Gannon

Post Number: 7681
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The syrup came naturally...they just encouraged it with heat.

I want to know how they got around to making the pancakes...and butter.

Jimaz

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More from the same article:

quote:

Québécois often refer to these cheap imitations as Sirop de poteau ("Pole Syrup"), implying the syrup has been made by tapping telephone poles.

HA!

A few years ago I was lucky enough to find a waitress whose family made their own maple syrup. She gave me a quart in return for a very large tip.

Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 360
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is STILL ACTIVE?!

--Brenda

Jimaz

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for helping to keep this thread active, Brenda.

Still wondering about the first discovery of maple syrup, it occurred to me that it might have formed on a tree wound from natural evaporation. Perhaps a human witnessed an animal licking it and then started experimenting -- with the sap, not the animal.

Dave

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would guess it developed from experimentation for medical or food possibilities. Birch tea was widely used as a drink and/or medicine. Tree sap has sugars in it. Increasing the sugar concentration by boiling is not a big stretch. Native peoples around the world experimented with and used a great many botanicals. Grape juice becomes wine by itself. It wasn't a great stretch to dilute honey, add yeast, and make mead. Honey was expensive so people figured out how to get the sugars from grains and made beer because it was cheaper.
dave

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.