Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Moving to the City? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 96
Posted From: 68.40.171.54
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

49 yo moderate Republican thinking of moving from Northville to the CBD, I would be leasing with a monthly available rental income of >$2000. Could afford up to $3000. Can anyone recommend a buyer's or leasing agent?

Also, does anyone here make the commute from the CBD to AA? I drive to work early in the morning, so I figure that commute will be slightly under 40 minutes. I am more interested in estimates for this drive in the late afternoon.

Changes in my personal situation are compelling me to explore Detroit living. Renting seems the prudent thing to do. If I like it, then a purchase will likely be in the cards in the next year or two.

Thanks.

(Message edited by docmo on September 07, 2006)

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10559
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that you've outed yourself as a Republican, knowing you will be surrounded by Democrats wanting to take all your money, my first recommendation would be to get a gun. lol

As for lofts, I'd say Merhchants Row or Woodward Lofts should be right up your alley. If considering purchase, perhaps The Ellington may be worth checking out as well. I don't believe they have rentals, but I could be wrong.

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 402
Posted From: 141.217.44.112
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow supersport, you are hilarious.
not.

Docmo, I think that you can find some AWESOME rental options with your budget. Merchants row is great. Also check out the top floors of the Kales building, Great views all the way to the river.

Supersport

Post Number: 10560
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, check out the Kales if you're not concerned about your visiting friends cars getting broke into in the middle of the day parked on Adams Street. 15 cars STOLEN in one months time.

Wmuchris

Post Number: 404
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where'd you get that number?
PEople can park in the fox garage for $5 all they want. Think it's any different on Woodward a block away?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 338
Posted From: 68.60.139.212
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Lafayette Park, the Mies van der Rohe townhouses are rarely available for rent.

However, 1300 (1300 East Lafayette), while a high-rise co-op, often has units for lease. Gunnar Birkerts, a Detroit area architect with an international reputation, designed the building. (One of his finest works, to me, is the underground addition to the U of M Law Library.) Apartments range from studios to 4 bedrooms. The views of the city, downtown and the river can be spectacular. They have two pools, a small gym, and indoor parking.

1300 is a block from an entrance ramp to I75, actually 375, and on the commute to AA you would not have to drive facing into the sun.

While I know Lafayette Park to be a very diverse and accepting neighborhood, I don’t personally know any Republicans who live here. But I’m sure you would fit in just fine. :-)

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1077
Posted From: 68.77.162.16
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My place in Lafayette Park is for sale, $115,000. 2 story Mies Townhouse. Want to buy it?

Wmuchris

Post Number: 406
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SSport where did you get the 15 cars broken into figure?

Wmuchris

Post Number: 407
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW Docmo,

I really encourage you to come on down. I've had a great time since I've lived here. Reverse commuting won't be bad for you at all.

Supersport

Post Number: 10563
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPD

Wmuchris

Post Number: 408
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Link please?

Supersport

Post Number: 10564
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Link? To the DPD listing statistics online? LMAO...go to the Central District branch and ask them for the info. I only know because a friend had her car broke into and a 12 pack of pop stolen. Ever car on the block had it's window broke out. When she reported the incident DPD informed her 15 cars had been stolen from that block along with numerous windows getting broke out.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1947
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Docmo, the commute from Downtown to AA would be about an hour each way.

There is traffic both ways near the airport pretty much all times of the day (likely due to the Allen Park cops being there all day long).

Don't forget that the 94/23 interchange is all jacked up and causes delays. Once that intersection is fixed there'll be another headache to replace that one.

On 94 coming into Detroit for the evening rush hour, it's always slow and backed up from Michigan Ave on.

My wife and I have both done the commute from NW Detroit to the AA area for extended periods. We don't enjoy it and we'd recomend budgeting an hour for the commute. You might want to consider the city of Ypsilanti if you're looking for a historic place to live.

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1463
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You might want to consider the city of Ypsilanti if you're looking for a historic place to live.

Yeah, anything but Ann Arbor...

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1781
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always made the drive from A2 to Detroit (or vice versa) in about 40-45 minutes. I always take 96 to 14, there are rarely any traffic backups (well, once this 14 construction is done).

Austinb1212
Username: Austinb1212

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 69.242.220.117
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Docmo:

I have a corner unit at the Grinnell Lofts in Corktown avaiable for rent. It is available for $1,500/month. Indoor parking is also included.

Contact me at ablack at detroiturbanliving.com for more information.

Docmo

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everybody,

Thanks for all the info. I'm probably going to try Detroit. Though I work on the east side of Ann Arbor, I am a card carrying member of the Ann Arbor is overated club.

Being a Republican in either A2 or Detroit puts you in a definite minority. I'll be happy to add a little different dimension to the diversity of Detroit.

ablack, I've checked out your website and I may give you a call. Thanks, again

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 69.244.144.149
Posted on Thursday, September 07, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try taking a look at the Eureka Lofts on Broadway. The 3rd floor loft is available and is in your price range. It's a great loft and location with good neighbors, I just looked at it myself but it's out of my price range. Try this link for additional information.

http://www.theeurekalofts.com/ index.html

Redetroit
Username: Redetroit

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 69.218.159.86
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Docmo, I have a friend who is leasing a bi-level loft in the downtown area. Two bedroom, two bath, a huge deck overlooking the city and river. It is probably the most luxurious unit I've seen and is in a gated secured community. If you're interested, shoot me an e-mail and I can probably get some pictures for you.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 171
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardinig the reverse commute to AA area, this will take about 40 minutes give or take for construction. For the trip back, you will need to add time for the 5 oclock hour for peak hour at Metro and congestion on I-94 inside the blvd.

You might want to consider getting in touch with SEMCOG and do some ridesharing. A good republic likes to save his money, as well as conserve resources!
http://www.semcog.org/Services /CommuterPrograms/RideShare/in dex.htm

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 858
Posted From: 199.178.193.5
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikie is correct, at the Eureka Lofts, you would have great neighbors, including the one and only Gambling Man! This is a great building, and a very safe portion of downtown. I would highly suggest it, although a tad pricey, well worth a very private and spacious loft. As for the Commute, I've made a commute many mornings from downtown out every freeway many times, and a commute back from the suburbs at night. The "reverse commute" from downtown always has at most 1/2 the traffic of the other direction. Even more so 94 west to downtown and 75 south to downtown. I can assure you that the only problem on 94 you might have is the 23 and 94 interchange (which you can easily go around, depending upon exactly where you are going in AA)......

Docmo

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gambling,
Thanks. I have emailed Eureka and we will be setting up a viewing. Is there monthly parking at the new Opera House garage across the street?

Redetroit,
My email is docmo57@excite.com. The loft you described sounds intriguing. Thanks.

Urbanvaquero
Username: Urbanvaquero

Post Number: 316
Posted From: 12.75.45.117
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh c'mon. If he's a dyed-in-the-wool Republican, he already has a gun, Sport.

--Brenda

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 170
Posted From: 68.50.105.69
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmmm--working in A2 and commuting from Detroit...Just curious----Why???

Docmo

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Getting divorced so it's time to move out of the McMansion in Northville. I don't particularly like A2, though I do have two degrees from the U. I am not 100% enamored with my present job. I like being in Detroit and I thought I should try living there for a while. Renting is the right thing for me at this time.

If I enjoy living downtown and grow tired of the commute, I will explore new professional avenues closer to the D. If I enjoy Detroit, I suspect one of those new river front condos may be in my future.

Docmo

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gambling_man,

You will soon see me walking up the stairs in the Eureka building on my way to the third floor.

Looking forward to meeting you and the other neighbors.

Kevin

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3095
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So did you get Trammels's old place?

Interesting side note... when I googled Eureka lofts Detroit, this thread came up 4th.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trammel was on the fifth floor.

Supersport

Post Number: 10741
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, that woman you'll see with Gamblingman is NOT his daughter....so as you don't stick your foot in your mouth.

Docmo

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, SS.

Lowell, one of the main reasons I am moving to Detroit is the community that is so evident on this site. I have always been a fan and a supporter of Detroit, especially after being a resident for a year back in the '80's. Lurking on DetroitYes and then contributing for the last year has led to a much deeper appreciation for and knowledge of the City and its citizens. Thanks.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 878
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Docmo, look forward to meeting you.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 670
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Docmo, since you have such big-love for the DY forumers, can we all come to the house-warming party?

I can make a mean pot of chili...

Docmo

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rrl,

Once I get settled, that sounds like a great idea. Maybe Gambling_man and I could both host a multiple floor loft party. Who knows?

Docmo

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.