Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Jazz Fest « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 621
Posted From: 206.18.111.5
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

surprised nobody has referenced this....hopefully they will have a good turnout. Much better music than the limp and mediocre musical olestra being offered up at the Arts Beats & Meats (for the most part). I will be there saturday at some point, trying to figure out how to see both Kirk Lightsey and Sergio Mendes playing at different ends of the fest at the same time. Lots of other good music as well.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1246
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen commercials on the Food Network advertising their involvement in the event -

From their website:

Join us at Detroit Jazz Festival as Food Network heads into the third of our exciting live Challenge events hosted by Marc Summers.

Don’t miss the excitement as top pastry chefs compete LIVE for a chance to star in an upcoming episode of Food Network Challenge.

Witness the country's top bartender flair experts as they dazzle the audience at the Food Network Challenge Bar. Learn the tricks of the trade with a hands-on demonstration as you team up with the professionals for the amateur flair challenge and win great prizes!

September 2 & 3, 2006
The Detroit International Jazz Festival launches its 27th season, September 1-4, 2006. It is the ultimate end of summer ritual for locals and a jazz party in a city known for its soul and groove, for jazz fans around the globe.

For the past quarter century, the Detroit Jazz Fest has entertained millions of fans with jazz legends from Dave Brubeck to Wynton Marsalis. Today, it ROARS with six stages over three days and includes Blues, Gospel, R&B, and of course, Motown. Sprawling over several city blocks, it offers a jazz-inspired art show, a variety of specialty foods, activities for kids, showcases for Detroit’s finest musicians, daily second-line parades, picnic areas, fireworks, riverboat cruises, educational activities and rare opportunities to meet national artists. And it’s FREE….

Featured performers for the 2006 Detroit Jazz Fest include Diane Schuur with the Wayne State University Jazz Big Band, Ahmad Jamal, Sergio Mendes, Dr. John, Taj Mahal, Joan Osborne, Lewis Nash, Barry Harris, the Clayton Brothers Quintet, The Holmes Brothers, the Temptations Revue starring Dennis Edwards, The Funk Brothers, Beausoleil avec Michael Doucet, Richie Havens, Marcia Ball and many more. Follow the link below for a list of confirmed artists to date…and please check back, we’ll be adding more as the summer progresses!

The Detroit Jazz Fest, we're all about high performance.

http://www.fnchallenge.com/

(Message edited by HYSTERIA on August 31, 2006)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1546
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the link to the festival website: http://www.detroitjazzfest.com /DJF.html

Check out the schedule!!!!

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 698
Posted From: 69.209.184.121
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazz Fest at Campus Martius last night was outstanding. What a great time, great people, great and beautiful city. Cheers from crowd as it was announced that we were a record number in attendance for Jazz Fest... Love this city. :-)

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10542
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was packed last night when I strolled through for the second time around 10:30. You could barely walk down Woodward it was so congested!

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 163
Posted From: 68.61.16.59
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IT LOOKED AMAZING!!!!!

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 384
Posted From: 68.60.181.41
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Temptation Review last night. Great sound, lovely vibe.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quite a different scene today....fervent jazz and blues fans for the James Cotton Blues Band and the New Orleans Regal Brass Band were in attendance for sure, but the weather was affecting the performances, especially as the afternoon wore on. We're back home, but hoping for better weather on Sunday and Monday...the lineups for both days promise to be terrific!!!!

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 149
Posted From: 69.242.221.36
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2006 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the logo for the jazzfest looks horrible..

Kathleen

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the "Music On All Cylinders" tagline, though....

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1745
Posted From: 4.229.132.12
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went yesterday, but the weather shortened my day. I wanted to and did see the Brazilian stuff.Brazil/Brasil was an interesting quasi pop act with two girl singers.In the tradition of Brazil they rarely sang armony but instead sang in unison 95% of the time.The band as were the girls were dressed all colorful and flamboyantly.

As for the music.....I dug these guys a lot.They would be playing a funk groove and suddenly they would break into an authentic samba or Bossa Nova.The drummer was especially impressive.

Wandered over to see the Tommy Flanigan trubute with Lewis Nash and they were swinging as expected......then back to see Oscar Castraneves(sp).Frankly and honestly Brazil/Brasil was much better.Oscar of course is perhaps the greatest living cat of Bossa and Samba.But like others before him he had the idea to hire jazz musicians and most of those guys don't quite have the feel for the music like the natives(brazilian) do. Alex Acuna a drummer that has made a name for himself (weather report) was on drums.The kid with Brazil/Brasil was much more suited to the music...........anyhow the weather drove me back home as the rain was relentless.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10548
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I saw Temptation Review last night. Great sound, lovely vibe.

Oldredfordette,

That's great, I'm happy for you. Unfortunately, probably after you left Friday night, I walked through Campus Martius and the whole area was completely trashed, a la Woodward Dream Cruise style. Bunch of rednecks from the suburbs feel they have to all congregate downtown during this event, trash the place, then head back home. I'll be happy when this event is over. (said with tongue in cheek) haha

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 170.232.128.10
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went back and forth between Sergio Mendes & Buckwheat Zydeco last night. Very cool evening once the rain stopped. I can't see myself ever choosing the A B & E over the JazzFest, despite the media's promotional preference for the A B & E.

Great music and an excellent scene down in the D.

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 702
Posted From: 69.209.184.121
Posted on Sunday, September 03, 2006 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ssport, I noticed Friday night in Campus Martius that trash cans were extremely scarce. I had to walk quite a ways to find one to dump my empty beer cup in. Was afraid of the effect at the end of the night...

Kathleen

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sunday and Monday were both terrific days, weatherwise and musicwise. We spent the whole day there both days and found it difficult to make it to all the stages to see all the great acts playing!!! Really enjoyed the Jaco Pastorius Big Band, the Hot Club of Detroit, Lyman Woodard, the Detroit Jazz All-Stars, Diane Schurr with the Wayne State U. Jazz Band, RJ's Rhythm Rockers and Friends tribute to Joe Weaver, and the Sun Messengers featuring Thornetta Davis. What a great way to end the summer!!!

Nice to see Vic Doucette both days!!! Kudos to Jimg for the very successful Jazz Tent!!! Sorry to have missed Lowell and his son....

(Message edited by Kathleen on September 05, 2006)

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 949
Posted From: 4.229.27.242
Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joan Osborne sure is hell aint jazz, but she ROCKED !
http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 6/09/04/joan_osborne_jazzfest. htm

Word of Mouth band is awsome, Will Lee (filled in for Jaco) was the bassplayer for the David Letterman band for years. Hes a studio guy, famous for singing "Be all that you can be" for the Army commercials.

I had my Jaco tshirt on, RIP.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to see Frank Malfitano step down!! I think he's done a wonderful job of reviving the Detroit Jazz Festival. His Friday night openings the last two years have been awesome!! Thanks, Frank!!!

Jazz Festival to lose its director

"Frank Malfitano, who guided the Detroit International Jazz Festival through one of its most financially troubled periods and engineered a sweeping expansion credited with saving the event from extinction, will not return as artistic and festival director.

He will be replaced by Terri Pontremoli, who joined the festival in 2004 and served as its executive director this year. She spent 15 years with the Tri-C JazzFest Cleveland, the last four as managing director.

Malfitano, whose Detroit tenure began with the 2001 festival, cited personal and professional reasons for stepping down, including concerns about his health, the strain of commuting from Syracuse, N.Y., and a sense that he had accomplished all he set out to do when he came to Detroit. ..."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2006609210351

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.