Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Running Routes « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1870
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found this very cool website from the USA Track & Field folks. You can create a running route or follow someone elses. There are some great runs created for Detroit (just search "Detroit"). There's one guy who obviously doesn't get out much and calls his run the "real run through hell". It's not even that rough of a neighborhood.

It would be great for more to be added to show off the city. Too bad we don't have many hills...

http://www.usatf.com/routes/se arch/

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 602
Posted From: 68.40.89.188
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6310
Posted From: 70.200.153.108
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had to chime in on that Run through Hell...thanks for the link Bvos.

I've got a few runs that I'm making tradition...but I don't have an accurate distance for them yet.

I just plugged them into this site...and while they are shorter than I had estimated...they do make for a very good staggered increase in distances...4, 6, 8, and 12 miles...all starting in the lot behind Sala Thai's Eastern Market location...all with the river at the halfway point.

I cannot imagine why that Hell runner isn't going to our natural beauty and cleaner air...strange. Running near the freeways is nasty...I sprint over I-375 at Gratiot now for some fun interval training.

VERY COOL...I'm almost afraid to check how long my Hines Park training runs were...a few times I went from Dearborn Heights to Northville and back.

That is whole lot easier on the bike...heh.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 343
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^32 miles round trip. That's one of my regular routes. I would definitely consider it Hell without my bike. =)

Gannon

Post Number: 6323
Posted From: 70.200.128.135
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it's just our little western Detroit piece of heaven simply taken more slowly...you see the cracks in the pavement more clearly and are NOT threatened by them.

Plus, people look at you weird WHEN you wear a helmet while running...not the other way around.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 1312
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Garmin-owned Motion Based has had these routes for some time. You can also use Google Earth with them.

Gannon

Post Number: 6338
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right, that guy from Atlanta had one at the last Freep and charted it here.

But to just plot it on a map and get the distances? WAY COOL, especially for anyone who travels and needs to plan a decent training run.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10512
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm back running, just at a reduced distance. I've ran 2 miles about 3 times in the past week. Which is good, considering I haven't ran in about a year now. Shin splints are kickin' good and I'm due for some new shoes, but it feels good just to get back out there.

Gannon

Post Number: 6358
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport,

Do you run on your toes (technically the balls of your feet, but I didn't want to set you up for unwarranted teasing from the peanut gallery) or on your heels?!

How much noise do your feet make when they hit the ground?

NO JOKE, you should make NO sound, or barely any, when striking the ground with your heels in decent running shoes.

Shin splints occur often with people who slap their feet on the ground or stomp when they run...both epidemic in weight lifters, where you are trained that force and might make right.

Practise a sm-m-o-o-o-o-t-t-h-h running motion with proper leg extension and a gentle heel strike followed by a roll of the foot towards the ball, and finally a good launch OFF the ground with your toes.

When you get this right, you can then practise on not bobbing on the horizon (damn, that one'll get picked up by your fans, too)...smooth running will not jumble your guts, you will not be bouncing up and down when you run...so the horizon will always be stable.

I'm just trying to get you to learn that any energy that is not specifically and directly applied to forward motion is wasted...every good distance runner moves like the wind, nothing is wasted...not even arm movements, unless there is a hill to climb...then they can be VERY important. One thing at a time, though.

When nobody is looking, try to strengthen those toes by standing on them like a ballerina. Make sure nobody is looking, or we won't hear the end of it...you from them, and me from you. Heh.

It is remarkably easy to re-injure shin splints, many who have them think they are inevitable...but with proper form and smooth easy slow practise you can strengthen everything and hopefully not ever suffer from them again.

I would just love to see you run a marathon, man, it will change your entire life.

That goes for the rest of you, too.

Panson
Username: Panson

Post Number: 802
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.mapmyrun.com/

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 721
Posted From: 75.10.1.205
Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that route isnt exactly nice specially thru the chene area others are just empty areas.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.