Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Safety in downtown Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 251
Posted From: 67.71.50.110
Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been to Detroit many times, and know it is not as bad as people make it out to be. However I do have one question.

What is your guys views on safety in downtown Detroit at around 10PM waiting for buses? I am thinking of using the tunnel bus to get into Detroit. However I may be in Detroit late, and going back to Windsor at 10PM.

Is it safe standing on Jefferson Ave at that time of night waiting for buses? Just wondering if a taxi would be better to go back into Windsor or not?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 684
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which part of Jefferson?

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 319
Posted From: 68.255.165.133
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can catch the tunnel bus right near the tunnel. And you'll be fine there. No need to cab it across.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 103
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is fine, if I am not mistaken, there is a safe place to wait for the tunnel bus right next to the tunnel (behind Mariner's Church). No one will bother you there with homeland security.

http://www.citywindsor.ca/Disp layAttach.asp?AttachID=3086

Miketoronto

Post Number: 254
Posted From: 65.92.146.88
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info guys. Tourism Windsor also just told me not to worry and that catching a bus in downtown Detroit is safe at night.

First time in Detroit without a car. I also gotta take SMART out to Royal Oak to have dinner with my cousin whos to scared to come into downtown Detroit(she lives out in Clinton Township)

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 247
Posted From: 68.60.181.41
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please don't bring the scaredy cats into Royal Oak! Now I'm gonna have to find you and mug you and I was gonna take the night off.

jeeeez.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10471
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'll be fine, just use the same common sense you'd use in any city. Don't head down dark alleys or streets that seem deserted. Downtown has very little crime in all honesty. My only words of advice would be not to hang around dance clubs letting out around 2-2:30. The troubles that downtown experiences in terms of fights and occasionally shootings are almost exclusively tied to these clubs.

Miketoronto

Post Number: 255
Posted From: 65.95.235.202
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I am use to being in the city late at night. I use to work in downtown Toronto till 3AM, so I am use to waiting for buses that late at night.

Anyway it seems easy, SMART bus to Jefferson Ave, then Tunnel Bus to Windsor.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 810
Posted From: 199.178.193.5
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike, when are you coming? The tunnel buses run all the way to and from Comerica park on Tigers game nights now! They park right in front of the Opera house on Broadway near Grand Circus Park (very safe and busy on game nights)......Perhaps more learned forumites can help him out with the bus......I would think a Woodward line would be more appropriate for Royal Oak........If you could get her to come to downtown it would be about a 10 Minute drive for her versus a 30 min. bus ride I would think........

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10477
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You sure those are the tunnel buses? They are labled "special buses."

Gambling man,

I think HE was the one taking the bus to Royal Oak and back, not his lady friend taking the bus to downtown and back.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 812
Posted From: 199.178.193.5
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are definitely "Transit Windsor" busses, I will ask the drivers next time they pull up. And I realize he was the one taking the bus, it just seemed silly to me to have her "wait" for him in Royal Oak, making him take the bus, rather than drive downtown, saving him a 30 minute bus ride out there.......

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 410
Posted From: 64.228.108.45
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A tunnel bus driver said it is certainly a Windsor Transit service. One thing I always find irksome when I take the bus is the hassle of getting the exact change together. The Windsor bus station is nasty! How hard can it be to swing a mop a couple of times a year? Or even unlock the bathrooms, and install a locker or two? I've taken the Tunnel bus on my last few visits to Detroit, friends of mine find it quite liberating to walk off the bus in Detroit. No parking hassles, no driving hassles, but I wish the bus ran later. The one time I went to a forum function, we had to leave at midnight to get the last bus. Border staff warned me not take any pictures either, while waiting for the bus.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 267
Posted From: 68.60.181.41
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The SMART to Royal Oak goes directly to the bus station I think - right in the restaurant part of DtownRO.

Miketoronto

Post Number: 257
Posted From: 65.92.150.213
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I made it. The buses worked out well, and a friend who lives in Metro Detroit actually drove us back to Windsor at night.

But the buses worked out well. The special buses you are guys are talking about are Transit Windsor tunnel buses. They are special game only routes to stadiums on games days.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.