Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Train to Chicago « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 67.149.107.157
Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spoke with someone a while ago who told me that taking the train to Chicago was a nightmare and that long delays were very common. Does anyone here have any experience doing this? I've not taken Amtrak before. Any advice? Is it good, bad? Amtrak.com seems to list the trip taking anywhere from 5 to 6.5 hours. How long will it really take? Are there express trains? We're looking to take a long weekend trip sometime later this summer or early in the fall and we don't really want to drive.

Does anyone have any experience with taking the Megabus? I've seen people waiting in Grand Circus Park a few times over the past couple of months and at first glance, it seems cheaper than Amtrak.

Sorry if this has been covered before. I suck at the search function.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1076
Posted From: 67.38.7.225
Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have taken the Amtrack train to Chicago from Ann Arbor. It went very smoothly, except for one delay near Chicago, where we were stopped for 30 minutes (right of way issue). But it certainly beats traffic in Chicago, not to mention the amenities of the bathroom/concessions/ and comfortable seating.

The trip was 4.5 hours there, 4 hours back.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1733
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the rub - the train is great from Ann Arbor. It sucks when you factor in the Detroit area stops. It is actually shorter to drive to A2 and board there, plus the crowd in your car is generally quieter, and you usually don't get the dirty diaper in your car (believe it or not, this is a common problem and it ain't pretty). I take the train to Chicago with a friend of mine about 6-8 times a year.

The best part of Amtrak is BYOB. Just don't let the conductor know. You can also buy booze in the cafe car. Not that this should be a deciding factor! It's just a bonus.

Lurker can weigh in on the Megabus - I believe he had a good experience. At least that's the word on the street.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1232
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

on the other hand, if you can deal with paying for parking in Chicago, it's faster to drive - might still even be cheaper if you don't have a gas guzzler

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 1077
Posted From: 67.38.7.225
Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parking everywhere for each night though is usually at least $20, and traffic in and around Chicago can really slow things down... Amtrak drops you off right downtown...

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 856
Posted From: 69.242.215.8
Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Expect a half hour delay with Amtrak to let frieght trains pass. But when it comes down to it, Amtrak takes about the same time as driving or taking Megabus. Amtrak is the more comfortable ride, gives you more freedom. Megabus is cheaper. It's not uncomfortable, but you definitely know you're taking the cheaper option.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've taken that train several times, it saves me tons of time driving, mind you, due to my profession I am a bit of a wanderer, and a drive to Chicago can mean meandering through cities as far N as Kalamazoo or as far south as Elkhart and everything in between!

BTW, the Dearborn Station to Chicago on my worse trip arrived 1/2 hour late. We spent most of the 1/2 hour waiting for room to clear, sitting in the S Side fo Chicago!

Remember, there is a ton of freeway rebuilding on the S Side of Chicago. A train will be your best option; unless the MegaBus knows enough to take US-41 (Lakeshore) up starting in Hammond, IN.

If you drive to Chicago parking can be very expensive. I drove over the 4th an parking in the south loop was $38 a night; but my last night meeting before leaving was E of Ann Arbor, so I at the price to save the hassle of driving home and taking the cab to the Dearborn station.

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on July 30, 2006)

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 666
Posted From: 69.208.126.149
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've taken it from the Detroit station to Chicago several times, and I love the trip. Some delays, as mentioned, can happen due to waits for shared tracks, but just leave a little wiggle room in your schedule for it.

TIP:Buying a business class ticket makes a huge difference, for only ~$9 more. No diapers, nice perks, quiet car.

Antonyj11
Username: Antonyj11

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 64.108.207.224
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've taken the train several times between Detroit and Chicago. My best trip was about 20 minutes late, worst was about 2.5 hours late. Regardless, if I'm not on a tight schedule, I much prefer taking the train to driving if only for the convenience and the fact that I can sleep, watch movies, read etc. The train is also nice because it goes through downtowns of cities that I wouldn't usually think to stop at on the drive - Jackson, Albion, Kalamazoo etc. I've had some great conversations with complete strangers on the train as well - for some reason a train journey makes people more talkative.

I also know several people who have taken the Megabus and all of them have had positive reviews to say about that. It is a little bit cheaper and again you can sleep too. Anything is better than wasting 4-5 hours of your life and money (for gas) making that drive by yourself

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 197
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've taken the Amtrak to Chicago a couple times from Detroit. As a railfan, I preferred Detroit to Dearborn for the view of trackage. I took a cab to the Detroit Station so I didn't have to worry about parking. I recommend it and I HIGHLY recommend business class....I always take business when available. Went during Superbowl Weekend for a convention. Was around $115 round trip with business class one way. No significant delays in either of the 2 round trips I've done.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is trainman when you need him?

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 225
Posted From: 65.92.151.50
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That train is always delayed. It use to run into Toronto, and the train use to always be an hour or more late coming into Toronto. Never one time.

Now it has been cut back to Port Huron.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 77
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike thats a different train. The one that crossed at Port Huron/Sarnia would not merge to the Detroit line until Battle Creek.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 5000
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

might still even be cheaper if you don't have a gas guzzler

That's not necessarily true. The key to taking a train to Chicago is the timing of your ticket. Buy as far in advance as you can. And if you can control when you go and come, leaving on the Thursday night train and coming back Monday morning is noticeably cheaper than going Friday and coming back Sunday. Also, if you're a AAA member, you can save yourself some cash that way, too.

Taking Amtrak to Chicago beats the living hell out of driving. My sister spent a summer in Oak Park, Ill. doing an internship for the Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust, and I wanted to go visit her. I took the train on Thursday morning, rolled my suitcase to the El station, got on the train to Oak Park, and stepped off the station platform about a hundred feet away from my sister's apartment building. Couldn't have been easier. I know people who take the train out of Ann Arbor all the time. It's definitely the way to go. I'll take sitting in a traincar for 4 hours over sitting behind the wheel of a car dealing with traffic in and out of Chicago any time.

EDIT: whaddya know... 5000.

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 3181
Posted From: 129.137.172.143
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Driving in to Chicago is a cinch if you do the following: arrive between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. (or after 9 p.m.). Take the Skyway to Stony Island to Lake Shore Drive. Avoid the Dan Ryan at all cost.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1210
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

last time i went to chicago, my buddy and i "lost our ticket" for the parking garage after parking there for 3 days, so we were only charged for one day ;)

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 857
Posted From: 69.242.215.8
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's how the numbers of it all work. Distance from downtown Detroit to Union Station in Chicago is about 280 miles. In a sedan that roughly gets roughly 25 mpg, expect to pay minimum $70 in gas alone. The price will probably be more due to driving slowly because of congestion and running air condition. Add in parking fees and you're looking at a minimum of $100 in transpotation costs to drive to Chicago. There's also the possibility of car problems/accidents from the long trip and getting a very pricey speeding ticket. Read all about it here:

www.dot.state.il.us/press/r033 005.html

Now in comparison, one can usually get a Megabus ticket for about $50 or less. Megabus picks up people in downtown and midtown and goes straight to Chicago's Union Station. There is a 30-60 minute stop at a truck stop in mid Michigan where you can get something to eat. Also, in my experience on Megabus, you know you're taking the cheap way. On the way there, the bus had a distinct rattle that was hard to ignore. On the way back, the chemical smell from the bathroom was overpowering and there was no air conditioning. It's hard to read, listen to music or talk to your friend if you're uncomfortable. There really is no room to get up and move around either. Although it sure beats the frustration of trying to fight your way through traffic.

An Amtrak ticket can cost anywhere between $50 and $110. There are stops in Midtown, Dearborn, Ann Arbor, Kalamazoo and Battle Creek if I'm not mistaken. In my experience this is the most comfortable option. There is plenty of room to move around between cars, people are more relaxed, there's a food car and scenery is awesome. Everybody has seen the view of I-94 from inside a vehicle. But the view from inside a train car is an experience in itself. You go through downtowns, small towns, industrial areas, woods, farms, along rivers and a bunch of other scenery. I found it easier to read, sleep and just relax on Amtrak.

If you're looking to save money and get a few hours of your life back, go with Megabus. If you are willing to pay a few extra bucks to enjoy that time, go with Amtrak. But as long as gas is above $2 a gallon, I can't see driving out to Chicago anymore.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 205
Posted From: 141.217.12.135
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I take the AMtrak from midtown couple times a year. Worth the price over driving even if two or even three are going on the trip. Maybe 4 in a car the cost would sway me to consider driving.. probably still take the train though. Haven't tried the mega bus yet. Maybe stick to the train based on comments above.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 186
Posted From: 24.247.163.145
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy, I usually visit Chicago 5 to 6 times a year with friends. In fact, I just got back from a trip yesterday. We've done both the train and driven throughout the year.

AMTRAK
You can get tickets fairly cheap if you order them way ahead before you plan to go. I've never seen the prices at a constant, but you can get some pretty good deals from time to time. Basically E_hemingway summed the Amtrak up pretty well.

You can rest all the way there. There aren't too many stops after Ann Arbor. A few times we had delays for freight trains. The longest delay I've ever experienced was an hour.

Once you get there, you can take the buses or the subway to get around.

DRIVING
Construction isn't too bad right now along I-94 except, somewhere around K-Zoo there are about 20 miles that are down to 1 lane westbound and 2 lanes eastbound. However, in Chicago the Dan Ryan is all ripped up. Currently the express lanes are being replaced, and the local lanes are very congested at almost any time of the day.

Parking is really not that big a deal, and Chicago isn't all that hard to drive around (but that's my personal opinion) The most I've ever paid for parking in the Chi was $3 for the whole day. I prefer to use the park and rides and then take the subway into the city. Sometimes I just end up parking in some busy shopping plaza, and hop on the El towards the loop

Don't let gas prices discourage you too much. Get a couple friends to chip in and your transporation is already far cheaper than taking the train. A car also offers a bit more flexibility on your choices for hotels. For example, on this past visit, we stayed at the Holiday Inn near O'hare airport. We took teh blue line into the city and it took about 45 minutes. But we had to drive to the station because the walk was too far and out in the middle of suburbialand. The next day, we drove into the city instead and it took about 15 minutes. We parked in an unmetered neighborhood and took the El toward the loop.

Really, I don't think you'll make a bad decision with whatever choice of transportation you take to get out there. I would think carefully over your options, and how much you plan on spending.

MEGABUS
I've never taken it, but I do know someone who has had a positive experience, and that's about it

But with the other two options,
I hope the advice helped.

(Message edited by wolverine on July 31, 2006)

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1250
Posted From: 69.14.211.234
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am taking the train this Thursday night, and coming back Monday. I will let you know how it goes.

In the past it has been great.

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 110
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone for the responses. Based on what everyone is saying, it sounds like the train might be a pretty good option. I was a little reluctant because of all the horror stories my friend would tell me (that you could count on at least a 7 hour trip). I think if four of us end up going we might just drive, otherwise we'll price out the train and bus.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 6211
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing missing from this thread...yet VERY strong in my memories of my train-riding days...there is ALWAYS great conversation on the train.

In retrospect, I believe it is because the train is a great Type-A personality filter. They pretty much all fly, even though it saves very little time overall due to security and parking/cab issues on this relatively short Detroit-Chicago trip.

You get a bunch of Type-Bs (and well-lubricated Type-As, like Dial4hipster) together, and it can be one six-hour party, with some folks you might not ever have crossed paths with.

I have fond memories of all the train rides I've taken...right up until that ONE deep in the winter where our forward door wouldn't quite close. B-R-R-r-r-r!! That might've been the LAST train ride I've ever taken.

If anyone gets the chance...the Chicago to Minneapolis run through the Wisconsin Dells ranks as one of the most amazing journeys I've ever endured.

I've heard that the one to Seattle and/or Portland is stunning as well...untouched scenery, like taking a trip back through time.

Nip
Username: Nip

Post Number: 100
Posted From: 148.87.1.172
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As someone who regularly takes the train to Chicago (2-3 trips a month), I can say that in my experience, the train usually runs anywhere between 20-30 minutes late. All in all, it's not a bad experience. I keep myself busy and the time passes quickly. It beats the hell out of driving.

As someone else mentioned, buy your tickets early. Also, if you do a little research on the www you can find codes that will save you up to 25%.

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 176
Posted From: 67.37.213.65
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have taken the megabus and was quite pleased. It was during the Tigers trip to play Chicago and a lot of the people where heading to that. The atmosphere was upbeat and generally everyone was impressed that there were not the general previously ill concieved notions about bus riders.

the trip did take longer that expected, due to a late pick up and traffic (4pm friday). All and all it was good. I was picked up at the WSU stop so it was nice that I could walk to the stop and not have to pay for any parking. The trip cost me less than gas would have for my car.

There was even a guy who picked up a girls digits who sat across from me on the ride there. So add in some extra excitement if your young, single and willing to chat.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.