Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Paging GISTOK « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 231
Posted From: 70.225.112.174
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would you mind getting in touch with detourdetroit@ameritech.net? We have some "theatrical" questions for you...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2493
Posted From: 4.229.81.34
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Detour_Detroit, somebody got my old EMAIL address...

I will be the State Theatre tour guide for the Detroit Historic Downtown Theatre Tours on August 12. This will be my 8th year, and I hope to see more Forumers again this year! I just talked with Lisa Rush at PW to confirm.

(Message edited by Gistok on July 27, 2006)

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 168
Posted From: 71.247.184.201
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, Wish I could make it this year for the Downtown Theater tour. Took my family last year and it had to have been one of the most surprising tours to date. Living out east, you can get something of the American experience from the country's early days or its Civil War era, but only in Detroit with the theater tour do you get that movie-going lifestyle of 30s America. A real eye opener. That period of American life just hasn't been captured elsewhere to my knowledge. Also Wayne Preservation does a lot of work for these tours and it shows. Really appreciated the little museum they put together in the Broadway Capitol. My dad worked there in the 40s and was often referred to by the Wayne tour staff as the 'expert' during the tour. A very considerate and respectful touch. Thanks. Again, the theater tour was much appreciated.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 327
Posted From: 67.107.47.65
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This will be my 8th year, and I hope to see more Forumers again this year!

I'll be there.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2526
Posted From: 4.229.72.26
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be asking if there's any Forumers on the tour, so looking forward to meeting you Pam!

Thanks for the kind words Xd_Brklyn! Glad you enjoyed it!

Besides Detroit there are 2 other major cities with lots of surviving old Movie Palaces. One is Cleveland with their PLAYHOUSE SQUARE (5 theatres). Unfortunately, Cleveland "peaked" with movie palace construction in 1921-22. Those were the early years, and the exotic movie palaces didn't come until 1927-29. So unfortunately the best movie palaces in Ohio, are NOT in Cleveland (but Akron, Columbus, Marion and Canton).

And the other major movie palace center is Los Angeles, where 12 movie palaces exist on LA's Broadway St. However, they tend to be smaller movie palaces (800-2,500 seats, none larger), are for the most part only partially restored (if at all), and mostly offer Spanish language movies.

Detroit's movie palaces tend to be on the larger side. Even the 3,000 seat State Theatre, only midsize as far as Detroit goes.... would be a giant in most other parts of the country.

Legsdiamond
Username: Legsdiamond

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 216.222.168.183
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming tour (2006). I'm wondering if we can wander in to the former Michigan Theater? (If I only had a billion dollars...)

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 942
Posted From: 65.221.183.120
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, you can and do, go into the Michigan Theater.

I am the Walking Tour Guide for the 11:00 Theater Tour - my 5th year!

Legsdiamond
Username: Legsdiamond

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 216.222.168.183
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, please don't think I'm dumb for asking this, but do you think I should rent a car for this weekend? I'm only in Detroit till Sunday and I think I can amuse myself downtown for that length of time, but I'm wondering if there are any big deals (Packard plant, 'Slumpy', Mexicantown, Fisher Building et al) that I need to be mobile for. Also some of the restaurants that I'm hearing about. Or will I be ok with cabs and the people - mover?

Sorry to bother you with this inane request, but I'm just curious...

-mark

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 507
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is Detroit--a car is essential. The Packard plant is in a two-gun neighborhood. Get yourself a rental

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.