Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » New Homeowner! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 116
Posted From: 24.192.186.228
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the past few months I have been looking for my new home. Initially I decided on the new lofts on Canfield. But in the last few weeks I felt I could find more for my money. And I did at the Leland Lofts in Lafayette Park. Today I was approved for a mortgage and soon I should be a new homeowner downtown!
I am actually not that familiar with that neighborhood and would love to hear your experiences.

Moreta
Username: Moreta

Post Number: 247
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay! I have no experience with that area, but I wanted to pass on my congratulations. :D

Imperfectly

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks!

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 68.250.3.136
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats! I checked out their website. Looks very nice. I don't know much (if anything) about the neighborhood, but from the map I can tell it is within walking distance to Eastern Market, downtown. What more could you ask for? Lucky you! It also looks close to the Deqindre Cut that everyone is talking about but I'm not sure if that's a benefit at this time or not. Anyway, good luck and happy home ownership.

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 103
Posted From: 67.149.107.157
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations, that's a big step. Hopefully I'll be a homeowner myself in a few months! Good on you!

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 303
Posted From: 68.60.139.212
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imperfectly, welcome to your new neighborhood, Lafayette Park!

If you play basketball, tennis, jog, or walk your dog, you'll be able to do so almost right outside your door in Lafayette Park.

If you're a church goer, you can walk to St. John's Presbyterian on Lafayette, Holy Family on the Chrysler Service Drive, St. John/St. Luke on Russell, St. Joseph's on Jay, St Mary's and Second Baptist in Greektown, Historic Trinity on Gratiot, or Christ Church on Jefferson.

You can easily walk to Eastern Market.

There are numerous and varied restaurants and bars within walking distance.

When the Dequindre Cut opens, you'll have easy access.

The East Riverwalk has an entrance at the foot of Rivard.

The new Boll Family YMCA will be an 18 minute from your front door. So is the Border's Bookstore in Compuware.

The Lafayette Park neighborhood is made up of an educated. eclectic, diverse, involved group of Detroiters who are living in Lafayette Park because they choose to live here.

You'll be here in time to participate in our Lafayette Park 50th Anniversary events.

You may find one potential problem living in the Leland (School) Lofts. If ever there are any problems with your behavior, your mother will have to come in and speak to the manager before you will be allowed to return to your apartment. :-)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3520
Posted From: 68.74.12.46
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, you'll be close to RSA, but the good news is Mrs. RSA is there. :-)

Imperfectly

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

neilr-thanks for the info looking forward to exploring the neighborhood...and staying out of detention!

jams-thanks for the heads up ! :-)

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 909
Posted From: 69.212.229.160
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey now! you should all be so lucky to reside in my hood! :-)

congrats imperfectly! ms. rsa and i do indeed reside in that neck of the woods and have enjoyed it imensely. in fact, we are considering buying there as soon as we can afford it.

you'll love the park. residents there claim that they have the biggest back yard in the city. it is a very friendly, close-knit neighborhood, that is very proud of their uniqueness in the city.

ms. rsa and i are season ticket holders for tigers games and walk to every single one. i also end up going to several lions games a year, and walk to every one of those as well. it's not a stretch to walk just about anywhere else in downtown, either. the well has turned into our neighborhood bar...

eastern market is indeed within walking distance and we get about 90% of our groceries there every week. when you're done shopping, you can join all the regulars upstairs at vivio's, which is where you have to watch out for another certain forumer (ahem, jams...) and have a bloody mary or two.

overall it's a neighborhood that will give you plenty of fodder for arguing that living in detroit is better, and much more interesting, than living anywhere else in the area. welcome!

we are planning the lafayette park 50th anniversary celebration right now. if you want to volunteer to help plan, you'd meet a lot of your neighbors real quick! shoot me an email, if you're interested, and i'll pass on the pertinent info. rockstarchitect@aol.com

-RSA (RockStArchitect)

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1700
Posted From: 134.215.223.211
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a former Lafayette Park resident I enjoyed going to Sala Thai (now in a newly renovated space), Eastern Market (you'll need to get one of those collapsable wire carts to lug your stuff to and from the market), walking downtown to the festivals, walking to Chene Park for the festivals, walking downtown to just wander around and explore, biking to and around Belle Isle, and tons more. It's a great location!

One thing I have wondered about is the Melody Farms/Stroh's ice cream plant behind you. When I lived in the Pavillion I remember trucks driving in and out of there very early in the morning and very late at night, especially during the busy summer period. It was loud enough to wake my wife and I up on the 12th floor. When it was dry the gravel would create big clouds of dust as the trucks manuvered around in the lot. Has anyone thought about this or talked to the Melody Farms folks about changing some of their operations?

Imperfectly

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im so excited to move that I cannot sleep.
I really love hearing great things about the neighborhood...hope I am moved in by Aug 6 since
I have tickets to a game at CoPa. Taking my dad for his bday and would love to walk....he grew up in the city and we lived on the eastside til 89 but he doesnt frequent downtown....can't wait for him to see the changes. RSA I will email you soon.
Bvos- I work Saturdays ....is there still hope for me to shop at EM....by the way I dont do mornings!

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 910
Posted From: 69.220.232.6
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, i don't do morning either imperfectly. market usually goes until about 3 for those late risers... almost all of the stores [r.j. hirt, rafals, rocky peanut co., cost plus, gratiot central market, etc.] in the market are open during the week, 9-5. what you miss by not going on saturday is the vendors in the sheds; mostly fruits, veggies, and flowers.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7548
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imperfectly - The operations of EM have been turned over to a non profit. They have stated that they want to expand the number of days that the market is running full.

If or when that happens I can't say.

Imperfectly

Post Number: 126
Posted From: 69.213.206.54
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I am finally all moved in and settled ...about 10 days now. So far its everything I hoped it would be!!! Great views of the city at night all lit up....and today we walked to Greektown for dinner. I was so amazed that I just walked from my home to Greektown. Im still in awe!!!

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6836
Posted From: 69.136.149.133
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imperfectly, I hope you'll join us at an FSC one of these days. We gather every Thursday at 9:00 at The Well on Randolph. You'll meet some very nice people.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafayette Park Resident here, (1300)
its a great place to live,,quite safe, so close to everything downtown, yet its own feel,, very ur ban,, and really good bang for the buck when comparing the new construction going on
great people too, they sincerely care about Detroit

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.