Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Has anyone out there had an acrylic bath tub liner installed? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 68.60.134.217
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am considering have an acrylic bathtub liner and surround installed, and was just wondering if anyone out there has done the same.
If so, were you satisfied with the end result?
Any recommendations on where to buy?
Thanks

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 461
Posted From: 129.9.163.234
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy, I just don't like those. It takes a tub surround that has ceramic tile, laid by hand (which is usually looking pretty bad at this point) and covers it with some factory-produced "Motel 6" pieces of plastic, which water is going to get behind and fester into something unpleasant. Have you tried cleaning up the tile, and restoring the grout?

Jfre66_77

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 68.60.134.217
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually the tile itself isn't in the worst shape, but the bottom of the tub has seen its better days. the finish is starting to go. I would consider gutting the bathroom, but I don't plan on staying here more than a few years longer. The major problem I have in doing a complete tear out is that I only have one bathroom, and can't be without it for the week or so that it would take me to do all that.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 191
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try just reglazing the tub. There are companies that will do it or you can buy the stuff at Home Depot. Those surrounds are HORRIBLE! Plus, they cost about a grand (that includes instalation). I'd go with reglazing. It's inexpensive and looks pretty nice.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 698
Posted From: 24.192.148.148
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the apartments I work at I have seen some appauling tubs and the ones that clean up the best are the ones that are reglazed. The plastic ones WILL come off at some point and be more trouble than it's worth. It usually takes 24 hours for things to dry. Heads up though, the company we call in uses respirators and fans because you are use some very strong chemicals when reglazing.

Jfre66_77

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 12.15.1.161
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info. The things you are mentioning are the same reservations that I have about the process. I was hoping to get a bunch of great positive responses about how satisfied people have been with this, but as of yet, I haven't had any responses on the pro side.
thanks again

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 264
Posted From: 69.212.30.37
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what about just the bath tub liner...We had our tub reglazed but it's looking bad again, after 10 yrs or so. Are the bath tub reliners (not the whole surround) any good? And has anyone done the do it yourself reglazing from Home Depot?

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1697
Posted From: 75.10.21.159
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father in law tried the DIY reglazing kit from HD. It cost about $20 and lasted about 2 years and then started peeling.

A tub liner only lasts about 15 years. As stated above, they're not cheap. With fiberglass it starts to fall apart near the 15 year mark. Just imagine what it would be like to get fiberglass shards in your feet and keenster! My grandpa got an arcrlyic tub liner that started to squeak about a year after he had it installed.

Another thing to think about is how you get rid of the thing once the 15 years is up. My house is 67 years old and has the original tub. With reglazing it will last another 67 years. I'd like to make it easy for the next owner of my home to keep the historic integrity of the bathroom if they want to. If I were to get a tub liner, they'd have to destroy the tub to replace it.

I'd go with reglazing. It lasts about 10-15 years and is only about $150-200. If you accidentally scratch or chip it, it can be easily repaired/patched. With a liner you're SOL.

(Message edited by BVos on July 18, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.