Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » On Kurt Warner. Tponetom « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 365
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About Kurt Warner! (Tponetom)
Any Hero Worshipers Out There?

At the wise old age of seven or eight, my psyche was awakened and mesmerized forever, by the presence of Hank Greenberg.

We kids had role models in 1934, 1935 and right on through 1940 and 1945. The Yankees won more pennants during those years but the Tigers had more than their share of classy ball players.

The Lions had “Dutch” Clark, quarterback. Later, Bobby Layne, was incarnate.

The Red Wings had “royalty” on their side: ‘Count’ Don Grosso, ‘Lady Bing’ Marty Barry, and Sid Howe. (And how!) Larry Aurie helped cast an aura over the whole team. (Gordie came later.)

I have always been a player, instead of a spectator, of sporting games. (After retiring from golf, two years ago, I do watch the tournaments on TV.)

I have always rooted for the young newcomer, aspiring to that first glorious conquest, and/or, the old, washed up Vet, in any sport, looking for one more “Last Hurrah!”

I root for 48 year old Freddie Couples to win one more golf tournament

I root for Andre Aggassi to win one more tennis match. He is now an ‘old man’ at the age of 30 something.

I am not an avid football fan but I do focus on special individuals.

The real class act of an old, wizened, has-been pro, Kurt Warner, personifies the guy I am talking about.

He caught my eye and my rooting heart when he was a “nobody” ten years ago.

He came out of a small Iowa College latched on to some small football league where he paid his dues. He was not the hottest pan cake on the griddle but for whatever reason or not, St. Louis needed a third string quarterback and so they hired him.

He repaid their confidence in him by helping St. Louis win the Super Bowl in 2000.
Then, two years later, he helped them get another Super Bowl appearance but they lost that one.

Suddenly, the spotlight went out and Kurt was in a career tailspin. He landed in the remote desert of the Southwest. Phoenix! The Arizona Cardinals! Talk about losers.

At the start of the 2008 season, Kurt just managed to get the job of starting quarterback for the team, edging out the younger, more glamorous, Matt, what’shisname.

It is now a matter of record. Kurt gave a super dose of fuel to that old image of a ‘Phoenix,’ rising from the ashes.

I know that Kurt did not do it alone. It takes 22 players and a helluva ‘bench’ to win a football game,,,but they always need a spark to get the fire going.

Me? I could not care less if Arizona wins or loses. I will not even watch the game.
If Kurt gets dumped on his ass a dozen times, I don’t care. He made his bones the hard way and paid the full price of admission. A ‘winner’ is never a loser

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it, and Kurt Warner did it better than anyone could possibly imagine.

Note to Vince Lombardi: Sorry Vince. Winning is NOT everything.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2424
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

..........and how 'bout that Brenda!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3823
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I could not care less if Arizona wins or loses. I will not even watch the game."

Oh, I will. Just to watch the commercials, if nothing else. But I will be pulling for AZ, although I suspect they're gonna get romped on. To bad, because that Pittsburgh QB Rolethsburger is the exact opposite of Kurt Warner.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Note to Vince Lombardi: Sorry Vince. Winning is NOT everything."

This must also be the Lions' motto.

Tponetom

Post Number: 366
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray,
I should have phrased that statement differently. How could anyone not root for a 9 and 7 team, going into the playoffs and then have the 'Good Fairy' brandish them with his/her magical wand with 3 victories!
Win or lose, they deserve all the laurels for making such a great splash in the gutty quagmire of professional football.
Annnnd, I would not take a bet against them. That fairy may still be floating above them.
The entire team has come full circle in their abilities.
So I say, I will not be disappointed if they lose, because they have already won,,,,,respect.

Tponetom

Post Number: 367
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray,
I should have phrased that statement differently. How could anyone not root for a 9 and 7 team, going into the playoffs and then have the 'Good Fairy' brandish them with his/her magical wand with 3 victories!
Win or lose, they deserve all the laurels for making such a great splash in the gutty quagmire of professional football.
Annnnd, I would not take a bet against them. That fairy may still be floating above them.
The entire team has come full circle in their abilities.
So I say, I will not be disappointed if they lose, because they have already won,,,,,respect.

Certainly, mine.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.