Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » "Anatomy of a Murder" at the redford theatre this weekend-a tale of two marquees « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2420
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UA_no Ilitch bitchin'

Redford-ala Bass

Detroit Yes friends, Come to the Redford theatre this weekend for the 1959 courtroom drama "Anatomy of a murder" starring Jimmy Stewart, Lee Remick, Ben Gazarra and ex-Redford theatre usher and Redford HS grad George C. Scott. This year marks the 50th anniversary of this landmark film.
As many of you know, this film was shot in the upper peninsula where these events actually took place. The music is by Duke Ellington and his band.
we took a hint from the 1959 newsreel documenting the premier of this movie at the United Artists theatre on Bagley--a Hollywood world premier in Detroit! and replicated the marquee at the UA with Saul Bass' outstanding logo from the book and film. Showings are at 8:00 PM on Friday the 23rd, 2:30 PM and 8:00 PM on Saturday the 24th. a pianist plays in the lobby one hour before the movie begins and the Redford's Barton theatre pipe organ is played one half hour before the film begins. Admission is $4, there is plenty of free, supervised parking adjacent to the theatre and our concession counter has all of your favorites at an affordable price. The Redford theatre is at 17360 Lahser, one block north of Grand River in the heart of the old Redford business district.

www.redfordtheatre.com

(Message edited by 56packman on January 21, 2009)

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2540
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you should also list the street address for those not familiar with the theather's location.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2134
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terrific articles in today's Freep...

The movie that put Ishpeming on the map: UP plans events this summer to mark 50th anniversary of 'Anatomy of a Murder'
http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090120/ENT01/901200303

Ellington's score still celebrated
http://www.freep.com/article/2 0090120/ENT01/90120016/1035/EN T/Ellington+s+score+still+cele brated

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 420
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Alan55

Maybe you should also list the street address for those not familiar with the theather's location

Too hard to go to the web site for more info?

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 859
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should make it down there this weekend, was supposed to take the family to see Sound of Music but the snow saved me.

Alan55

Post Number: 2543
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Tool, just good marketing fundamentals.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 421
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Packman did post the website address, which not only has directions but the full schedule... even better marketing fundamentals.

56packman

Post Number: 2423
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toolbox, I went back and added the the street address and the website address after Alan55's suggestion/comment. Elsewhere, this came into play.
Hope to see many at the Redford this weekend.

Alan55

Post Number: 2544
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your apology is accepted, Tool.

Reddog289

Post Number: 861
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I,m even blowing off NASCAR night at the Autoshow to go see it.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 2587
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will the Pacman be rockin' on the organ?

56packman

Post Number: 2425
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Dave Callendine is on for this weekend.

I'll be there tonight.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2139
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're heading over on Saturday evening!! It will be a real treat to see "Anatomy of a Murder" on the big screen as well as to enjoy the Redford Theatre ambience once again.

Reddog289

Post Number: 864
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made it there Friday nite,I enjoy that place. Maybe someday I will have time to make myself useful at the Redford.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1497
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We may see you there, Kathleen. The Redford Theatre is a great setting for showing such a neat movie. And a wonderful organ concert to boot. WOW!
I had the opportunity to met Justice Voelker("The Pride of Ispheming") when I worked at Mackinac Island. The Justice knew ever trout stream in the U.P. and some of his Opinions are classics. Later when I had a deposition at the Federal prison in Marquette, a few of us got a chance to get over to the courthouse and see the ornate courtroom in which the trial scenes were filmed.
Be sure to wear an Aretha Franklin hat so I will be able to pick you out.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2143
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a terrific evening at the Redford Theatre last night! A good turnout for sure!! And we loved seeing "Anatomy of a Murder" on the big screen. It was awesome! And where else can you hear "Stairway to Heaven" on the theatre organ?

Sorry, Rock! I neglected to wear my Aretha hat, in case you were looking for me. Were you there?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alas, Kathleen, after all my hype, we did not make it for the 8 PM show. By the time we left South Lyon and a very nice visit with #4 son and family whom we had not seen since Christmas, we were not even on the road and heading East until after 8:30.
I just clicked on the GP Library web site and order a DVD of Anatomy for a dollar rental, and we can keep it for a week. Not the same as "being there" and hearing the organ concert, followed by the movie on a full-screen format, but under the circumstances, at least a modest substitute.
Maybe next time.....

Reddog289

Post Number: 871
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2009 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heard Stairway to Heaven on the Barton, Thought I was at a Hockey game.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.