Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Doc Greene Salad « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Antiquepoxmo
Username: Antiquepoxmo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and her best friend remember fondly the Doc Greene Salad. What they can't remember is how it was made. I would love to present them with the recipe if anyone can help.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 617
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the menu of the Beverly Hills Grill, they still make it there.

CHOPPED DOC GREENE
Bibb, Hearts of Palm, Artichokes, Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Egg, Shallot Vinaigrette
with Grilled Chicken Breast 14 with Sauteed Shrimp 15

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2795
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a recipe for Shallot Vinaigrette from Epicurious.com:

* 1/2 cup chopped shallots
* 6 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar (aka sushi vinegar)*
* 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
* 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

Whisk shallots, rice vinegar and Dijon mustard in small bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1505
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall the Doc Greene salad,which appeared on the daily menu and was served for so many years at Detroit's finest restaurant, The London Chop House.
Doc was a sports writer for the Detroit News and an impeccable dresser who could a (almost) put Chuck Daly to shame.

Is the salad served at the Beverly Hills Grill and and do your memories of the salad, Antiquepoxo, refer to Detroit's own Doc Greene or is this a competitor? I did not realize that Doc had gone national. I wish Les Gruber were still around to clarify the situation.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 628
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Beverly Hills Grill referenced was from 31471 Southfield Road in Beverly Hills, MI. Don't know of any national affiliation.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.