Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Blessed are the Cheesemakers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 880
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone know where i can get basic cheesemaking supplies in or around detroit - molds, starter cultures, etc.?

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 485
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but I bet someone at traffic Jam could tell you.

O.

Thecarl

Post Number: 881
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the lead, otter! i'll check it out...

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carl, maybe the folks at MSU dairy store could point you in the right direction.

http://dairystore.msu.edu/

Thecarl

Post Number: 882
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

otter, i went into tj/s for lunch last monday. the brewer/cheese dude (chris?) wasn't there at the time. i gave the manager (who said i'd be called) my phone#, but i haven't heard anything back yet. it didn't seem like the staff there at the time was really on the ball, so i'm not surprised. i'll check back and see if i can catch the cheesemaker when he's in house. my general experience is with people like that, they love to see people picking up the craft, and go out of their way to help a brother out. i'm sure it's just a matter of catching him at the right time!

gnome, i sent an email to john engstrom who is the main contact for the dairy store. he sent a nice email back suggesting i get my supplies from the internet. such might be expected since, as i've been told, michigan does not produce enough dairy in modern times to be a viable cheesemaking concern. as such, local sources for supplies are that much harder to find.

thanks again, otter and gnome, for your leads.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.