Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Downtown Shoe Shine? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know where good shoe shine stands are around town, and how much such things run?

I really need to get my shoes shined. Detroit's salty streets are not to kind on one's soles.

I know I could go to the Ren Cen, but it's kind of out of the way. What else is out there?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the rencen is out of your way downtown?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7449
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First National Building, Congress Street entrance.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3076
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless you're just talking about spreading the wealth, do it yourself. I guess thats one thing that stayed with me from the military.

Forget Quarter bounces and 45 degree corners on the sheets, a shiny pair of boots/shoes is something you can take pride in.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3357
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be a guy in the Penobscot Building - Congress entrance. That was quite some time ago. All the attorneys I worked for would get their shoes done there. The guy was always busy.

I do agree with Bigb on this one. Mr. Erie was in the military and he always takes care of his shoes himself.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cobo Hall

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5841
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little shoe repair shop on Michigan, on the far side of the Lafayette Building. Fix them and make them beautiful too.

127 Michigan Ave, Detroit, MI 48226
(313) 961-0066

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5842
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops. Tip Top Shoe Repair.

Originalg313
Username: Originalg313

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Inside the Compuware building near the Farmer St. entrance.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2974
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about joining the army? Great exercise and you can learn to polish your own shoes. Plus think about the practice you will get with a weapon. Could come in handy if you ever move to Detroit.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5849
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat, go smoke some pot or get laid or something. Hurry. Or least pick a fight in a thread that calls for it.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2978
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a joke lighten up, literally.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3098
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

go smoke some pot or get laid or something.

I'm trying, why not Goat ? :-)

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 590
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the basement of Shaws barber shop, across the street from broadway.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2196
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spirit, yes. The Ren Cen is not on my way to the walk to "work" from my current "apartment", or new apartment. Walk-ability is one reason I chose to live in Downtown Detroit.

It's awesome that you guys do it yourself. There are good, but off-topic reasons I am choosing not to do it myself.

Brag, I'll have to check that out, along with the place in Compuware and the Lafayette Building.

On a side note, you can definitely tell times are tough. Look around town, all the shoes are getting faded. :-(

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Fort Shelby has restored the original, marble shoe shining stand and is open now

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2198
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PERFECT! Thanks SpiritofDetroit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.