Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Has anyone seen the movie Valkyrie yet? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 4325
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've not been to see a grown up movie at the theater in ohhh, about 5 years. When we've gone to the show it's to take our grandson to see one of the kiddie movies. I'd like go tomorrow (since it's my BD) to see this movie.

If anyone has been yet, what did you think of it. Thumbs up or down? Is it worth the price of admission and a bag of popcorn?

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're going to see it this week. I watched a documentary about Stauffenberg last night on the History channel. It was quite good.

Happy B-Day Erie, my dearie!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3024
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Birthday, Erie. By the way, how old are you ? (So I can adjust the amount of candles on this cake).

Only kidding ! :-)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2196
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

flaming cake

Be careful ErieDearie, wouldn't want you to lose your eyelashes.

Happy Birthday! :-)Personally wouldn't pay money to see Tom C not act.

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome.....I am with you! Tom Cruise as a Nazi!!??Alomst laughable. He is not much of an actor in my book...and seems a little nuts too!

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 622
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The critics have been somewhat harsh regarding Cruise's performance, but have said the movie, despite him, is pretty good.

If you really want to see a fantastic flick, go see Slumdog Millionaire. Very good movie which should win Best Picture.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of the movies Tom Cruise is in are pretty good.
BUT, you could replace him with pretty much anybody and it wouldn't make a difference.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3026
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It kind of wrecked "War of the Worlds" having him in the lead. He's not an actor like Michael Caine, Sean Connery, or Peter O'Toole, who can easily move from role to role through the years and pull it off. I hope he go's to the wayside soon.

He's got plenty of money, leave and use it.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2486
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big23, you mean Tom Cruise isn't British? Caine, Connery, and O'Toole are.

How about saying Cruise isn't as good an actor as Johnny depp, Sean Penn, or Philip Seymour Hoffman?

Eriedearie

Post Number: 4327
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha, Ha! Thanks for the wishes Dodger! And thanks for the cakes Bigb and Gnome. Yes, I'll watch out for my eyelashes and anything else above the waist with that cake ablaze!!! You guys are too funny!

Tom Cruise being in the film has no bearing whatsoever as far as I'm concerned. I actually would like to see the film because of the history behind it.

I've never been aware of a plot to kill Hitler. I often wondered why those close to him didn't try. There had to be some people around him that knew he was a total madman that could have taken him out.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3028
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How about saying Cruise isn't as good an actor as Johnny Depp, Sean Penn, or Philip Seymour Hoffman?

OK, I'll say that too. But look at how long the Brits have been at it. I don't want to see T.C. have that longevity.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ED - Happy Birthday my "dear". Same day as my big sis.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 4329
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww thanks Maof2! I know very few people with the same birthday day as me! Tell big sis I send greetings to another Capricorn lady! LOL

Mom still holds it against me for ruining her New Year's Eve celebration that year! :-)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3747
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, happy happy, Erie! (I always felt sorry for folks who had a birthday close to Christmas. They just can't make out with the gifts like "normal" people). :-)

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Birthday, Eriedearie!

What's for birthday dinner? Go to IMdb.com to see what others thought of the movie.

I'd see something else just based on what I've read, seen in previews and whatever else makes me think the things I think :-)

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go see the movie. Hubby and I saw it and liked it. We have learned to not believe what the critics say. Regardless of what people say about TC's acting, his movies are all money makers. P.S. Happy Birthday!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 2946
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bad Nazi's have German accents, not so bad Nazi's have British accents and the conspirators have American accents. No thanks on this movie.

As for Cruise being a Nazi? That isn't a far stretch considering his ties to his cult.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2199
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Erie is jonesing for a peek at a hunky guy in an eyepatch.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2139
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Birthday my dear.

Gift on its way, hopefully tonite.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 984
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for Cruise being a Nazi? That isn't a far stretch considering his ties to his cult.

I heard they had to downplay Stauffenberg's devout Catholic beleifs to sattisfy Tom. Guess it was more important to have Tommy in the movie than to be factually correct.

BTW,Happy B-day Erie, here's to many more.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 442
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Birthday, ErieDearie!! Hope you have a great day no matter what you decide to do!

Me and Mr. Blue wish you many more!

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2140
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Dearie, I cant transfer any pics from my camera. Had somethin you wanted too. :-(

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3334
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh thank you all for the Birthday wishes! How sweet of you.

I had a terrific day! Won a little cash at Windsor Raceway Slots, (hubby lost a little - so we're even!), dinner at my favorite Chinese place - yummm, and saw Valkyrie.

I thought it was a very good movie. I jumped a couple of times at the loud explosions and gun battles. Lots of suspense on how the coup would play out. One has to wonder what the world would have been like had Stauffenberg and his group been successful. Of course you want him to win. The ending was emotional.

And yeah, Gnome - you've got my number, I am partial to guys with an eye patch. My husband had to wear one there for a while. To me, makes a guy look, oh, I don't know...more manly.

Django - I can't imagine what my gift would be. Hope you get to figure out how to transfer pics from your camera!

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat...my thoughts exactly.
I watched a promo for the movie on television; noted a thick California accent on the part of Tom Cruise....muttered aloud - this is absolutely ridiculous!

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 727
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the movie last night and thought it was pretty good. I do wish it was a bit longer with more historical details, but I guess going to the movies isn't like watching the History Channel.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw the movie tonight. It was pretty good. I'm also a "details" person...wished there was more historical data. But I kept reminding myself it's a Hollywood movie.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3361
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the historical data stuff too. First thing I told my daughter-in-law after seeing the movie is that I have quite a bit of research to do regarding the actual true story. Besides, I'd like to find out about those 14 other times there were plots to get rid of Hitler. Like you say Dodger, it's a Hollywood movie - so there's only so much time within which to tell a story.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My problem is I've been to Berlin many times (family). I've read a lot of history about that part of the world. It drives betterhalf crazy when I begin to point out stuff that isn't exact.

We were watching this series on the Military Channel, "Hitler's Bodyguard". They kept showing the same clips in every episode. The series should have been only two shows instead of six or so episodes with only five minutes new material in each.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodgedodger...those programs drive me to distraction.

Show three minutes of information, followed by three minutes of commercials. Come back to the show, spend two minutes reviewing the material; one minute of new information - followed by three minutes of commercials.

Repeat the cycle of madness....over & over.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, that's the formula.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 429
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw it tonight. It didn't bother me that there were 3 accents within the film (American English, British English, and German) but overall all it was really good. For me, very convincing that the plan would go through and always had to remind myself.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 465
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't expect to watch History channel and get accurate information. They aren't too worried about correct details.

But I watch it a lot too, when Modern Marvels isn't on. Tell me what that has to do with history? We don't get History Channel 2 or whatever it's called.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.