Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Grosse Pointe News « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found this link today and thought I would pass it along. They have copies online dating back to 1940.

http://digitize.gp.lib.mi.us/d igitize/newspapers/gpnews.htm

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://digitize.gp.lib.mi.us/d igitize/newspapers/gpnews/1975 -79/79/1979-06-07.pdf

Testing to see if I know what I'm doing.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1724
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did it! You guys don't know how proud I am of myself right now.

The above ad for Hickey's cracked me up. The pose of the drawn guy, "Hi, I'm Mr. Poser-guy", the whole "indespensible navy blazer" description. Man, I don't miss that part of GP - and look how expensive it was - don't forget that was in 1979. Sheesh, I lived in a ritzy-titzy city.

Thanks for the link, Lferg, now I have another place to waste my time!

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found my classified for 2 cars I was selling. One in 1988 and one in 1995!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 954
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GP News is the best place to find a car. Plenty of rich old grandmas who rarely drove and don't need their car anymore!

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i always sold my cars in the GPN (but i'm a youngen'). the last time, i was selling my car, some idiot called me at 6 a.m.!

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alley, speaking of which, I'm trying to find a used 4x4 for my son in Kalamazoo. They don't salt or plow the roads very good. I looked in the GP News today. There were about 7 adds total for cars. Back in 92, I bought a 1960 Lincoln Continental Mark V Executive Sedan at an estate sale in Grosse Pointe Park for $900. It only had 45,000 miles on it. I'm rambling, I guess it's time for another Schlitz, or to go back and see what the Garwooders are up to now. It's getting interesting, a couple more denziens have reemerged from the ashes.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the Forum, Lferg. You bring back a lot of old names---Punch and Judy Theater, Chet Sampson Travel, Sign of the Mermaid,Whalings, Hickey's, Frolund's Garden Supply etc. Some are still around.
And its interesting to peruse those 40 year old GPNews papers and see just how much advertising they had for downtown Detroit stores and restaurants, not just those in GP.
Even my wife made "Pointer of Interest" a good many year ago! Back then, that weekly column was run on the last page of the paper, but now it's made its way to the front page.

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rock! I actually have been posting since July, not sure why my post number says 1. (Maybe because it's the first thread I started?)

I lived in Grosse Pointe in the 70's. I used to buy all my candy at Bob's pharmacy :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.