Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Where do you vounteer ? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 93
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious,I try to help over at Georgia st.,And I am a conservator with the Detroit Historical Society(automotive collection)and am training to be a docent at the main Museum.So...who else?

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 399
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Georgia St gets all my volunteer time.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2891
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you mean "who else" as in "who else can I help out free of charge," yer welcome to ride over here and rake up some of these goddam leaves. I don't think yellow is a good color for a driveway.
If you mean "who else" as in "I just wanted to brag about my benevolence and challenge any of you to match it," don't ride over here. I'm easily irritated.

Davemarc

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow,Sorry to offend,if that sets you off how do you get through the day?I could care less if you do it, I happen to enjoy it.I was just curious to see if any other board members are at the DHS

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 959
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can tell you are easily irritated. If you don't like a thread keep it to yourself.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 336
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leader Dogs for the Blind, secretary for homeowners association, Historic Fort Wayne Coalition, Warm the Children, Georgia Street.

I am 50 now and have done volunteer work since I was 13.

Davemarc

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been inside the fort for the first time in MANY years in the last few weeks.It is an amazing place.Dave

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Isle Grand Prix.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10499
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

V-P, Assumption Parish Council
President, Gateway Public Park
Board of Directors, St. Leonard's Society
Board of Directors, Downtown Residence Association.

...thump, thump.

(Message edited by GOAT on November 11, 2008)

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In college, I volunteered for Midland Center for the Arts, American Red Cross, H.H. Dow Historical Museum (as a researcher and a docent) and Special Olympics. I've also volunteered at local library book sales.

I'm looking forward to lending a hand this Saturday with the Georgia Street Community Center. :-)

Davemarc

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Servite,what part of the DGPA?I worked track services for years..

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I usually go with something through Visit Detroit because they offer a lot of one-time events, or with "pro bono" efforts for new non-profits or those needing an extra something to help them pursue funds. I used to do a lot more of the long-term, committed stuff, but the kids' health issues really hampered that kind of thing.

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Davemarc, I was a Circuit Marshall this year. I had a blast. I was stationed on pit row and at turns 9 & 10.

Davemarc

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool,I was unable to go this year,I work out of town.The Dgpa is where I cut my teeth,I now work in racing.I still go to work sessions when I'm in town.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 400
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I help run a baseball league for special-needs kids, The Miracle League of Michigan.
We have a rubberized, wheelchair accessible field in Southfield. Last year about 200 kids were in the league, playing ball and having a blast in a way they couldn't possibly do in a traditional Little League setting.
Probably another 200 people, kids and adults, used the field as members of other organizations. We let those groups use our place when we had nothing scheduled on our own.
Do you know a physically disabled or developmentally disabled kid who'd like to play in our league? Registration starts Dec. 1, and we will fill all our slots.
We also are always looking for volunteers to help us run the show.
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org for details.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 401
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Docterry: What specifically did you do for the non-profits? It may be something we could use, your time permitting of course, for the Georgia Street Community Collective. Please e-mail me at corneroffice2 at aol dot com.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 3073
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Preservation Wayne, Friends of Royal Oak Public Library, Friends of Freer House, St. Dennis Warming Center, plus the occasional ad hoc volunteer opportunities.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 389
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I don't live anywhere near Detroit at the moment, so helping at the Fort or the Garden
(Both sound Fantastic, Hat's off to CUB!)
is out of the question.
But I have sent small amounts of $$ to such things as Dossin Web Cam, Save the Ste Claire Bob-Lo Boat, and Detroit Based outlets for Christmas Gifts.

and of course Ravine can use my Leaf Blower anytime it is needed!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2896
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, I didn't write that I don't like the thread. My feeling about the thread would depend on its intent, as my boorish sarcasm indicated.
And, Cub? How is it that you see yourself as being in a position to tell me what to keep to myself, now?

Cub

Post Number: 960
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The intent of the thread was in the first two words of the post. As far as me being in a position to tell you anything is all in how you take it. I commented on your post just as you have commented on anyone elses posts.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2463
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I volunteer as a runner in the 18 operating rooms of St. John Hospital on Moross. Deliver blood, plasma,drugs, MRI's and x rays, paper work etc.and get to observe some rather intricate surgical procedures. I wear scrubs, surgical cap
and mask. Look like a doctor which is quite a transition for a retired trial lawyer.
I wonder if it's too late to go to medical school.

Jennifer
Username: Jennifer

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I volunteer for the Accounting Aid Society during tax season. I enjoy it, how many people can say they like taxes?! haha

Jeanofarc
Username: Jeanofarc

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I glean food and share, cook meals and take to potlucks and serve up at home and occasionally do a soup kitchen at the NSO.
I love working gardens and wish to help out at the Georgia Street too next spring as well as on my own herbal garden; which is technically volunteering because herbs are used in helping people with health problems and keeping people healthy. http://www.myspace.com/georgiastcommunitygarden
Over the winter I'm working on building the non-profit, United Peace Relief Detroit.
Admittedly totally using this thread to put in a pitch for UPRD, if anyone wishes to help; we got a lot of research and verification to do building the resource database which will be shared throughout the city in mobile outreach, on our website and to whoever needs it.
read about us at our myspace.com/uprdetroit and unitedpeacerelief.org and our new website being built, uprdetroit.org

If everyone does a little, a whole lot will be done
Jean

logo

Davemarc

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jean,That was part of my reason for starting this thread.I have found some interesting ideas here.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homeless shelter program.

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a foster Mom with the Tri County Collie Rescue.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 887
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DaveMark: 'I am a conservator with the Detroit Historical Society (automotive collection)'.

I'm jealous. Please tell me more...

I volunteer (actually they're labors of love) at the T-Plex as a docent and for Preservation Wayne (Detroit) as a tour guide for their Automotive Heritage program.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 888
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, now I'm also jealous of Servite, too!

Davemarc

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was part of a group that restored a car for the DHS a few(6-7)years ago.It was a 1952 Packard Pan-american.I started in their docent program,and they found out about the connection.I found out they where without a collections person,and the rest is history.This is still new to me so I'm kind of overwelmed.This is a huge labor of love for me too!Forgive me but what is the T-plex?

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 889
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh, think they need help?

The Ford Model T Complex (T-PLEX)--Ford Motor Company's first factory and where the Model T was designed. Here's the link:

http://www.tplex.org/

Our tour season is over, but I'm extending a personal invitation to you when we open next spring.

Davemarc

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have a bunch of people that work with artifacts,but the automotive stuff is in a fairly unheated warehouse.Its very hands on work.I could spend DAYS back there!(and do)I would love a tour and I would be more than happy to give you one of the DHM.Just let me know.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 890
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you taken the Automotive Heritage Walking Tour? That's a great tour also...

I'd LOVE to tour the DHM. A word of warning, you'll probably never get me out of there!

Davemarc

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope have not..But should.The funny thing is my parents took us to every historical attraction they could find.Now if we stay home on a weekend,my kids ask if we can go see some history!Just let me know,maybe we can set something up.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 894
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can give the walking tour at any time...they don't close the streets in the Milwaukee Junction area. It's interesting to find out where the various automotive factories were and just how concentrated they are in that mile area.

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 228
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Quiet" help for Georgia St. (but will be a loud potato peeler on Dec. 6th). Minor benefactor of St. Albertus Church.

I have to tell the hubby about the Automotive Heritage Tour. I've never heard of it before and I know he'd love to go!

Cub

Post Number: 965
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quiet? What do you mean Quiet?

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 900
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.preservationwayne.o rg/tours_auto.php

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 232
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What? I'm not loud. Church mouse.

Cub

Post Number: 966
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are a huge volunteer and sponsor at the garden, that's not quiet lol.

Mashugruskie

Post Number: 236
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are too kind, Cubster. See you 12/6!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.