Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Who's on Dial up internet? Non roll call ! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2819
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because of my rural location and prices involved, I'm still on the old dial up network. I get so frustrated waiting 20 minutes to download a 2 minute YouTube video. Are there any tips or tricks you use to make this experience a little more enjoyable?
For instance, I shortcut to the forum topics page here to boot it right up.
It's frustrating to link to a news site, and wait for all the banners to load before I get to read the actual story.
This is the place to vent !

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 342
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23:
I am in Tucson, AZ. 'Dial up" ATT cost me $17.00 a month.
I have to pick my times during the day to download or even access any web sites.
In the evening, between the hours of 7:00 - 10:00, I do not even try to surf the web.
But here is the kicker! Any time of the day or night I have little or no delay in accessing the Detroit Forum. I have been meaning to ask Lowell about that situation.
Does he have a magic potion or an energized bunny rabbit built into his web site?

Bigb23

Post Number: 2820
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom - I pay $9.95/Mo. but my provider isn't as crappy as ATT is out there. The really big players here in the states, are leaving us in the dust compared to the rest of the world and the services they provide!

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 386
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23,
If you are in an area where you can get Cell service, you might try an iPhone, YouTube plays well on those even on the older Edge network, I think Edge is everywhere you have cell, and 3G (faster) is in most large cities?
The forum topics page loads nicely on iPhone also.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are willing to do without the images, Lynx is a browser that can be used to browse the internet quickly in text only. It is an open-source browser that has been ported to use on the Windows OS:

http://home.pacific.net.sg/~ke nnethkwok/lynx/

Bigb23

Post Number: 2825
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Flanders, I'll try that.

Ragtoplover59 - even the cell coverage out here is crappy, but an iPhone or equivalent is on my list, as soon as "Happy days are here again" (about 2010).

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9354
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only other suggestion that I might have is to log in at less trafficked hours. You might be able to get onto some sites quicker but beyond that, I wish you could get a faster speed. Good luck.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5164
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ding ding shhhhhhhhhhh bong bong ding khhaaaaaaaaaa... I miss that sound.

Not.

My ATT cell phone with Window Mobile surfs at high end dial up speed, so I feel your pain. Set https://www.atdetroit.net/cgi-bin/f oroum/discus.cgi?pg=topics as your DYES home page, turn off image download and you should be able to surf the forum quickly.

Bigb23

Post Number: 2958
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

ding ding shhhhhhhhhhh bong bong ding khhaaaaaaaaaa...

Lowell, I found that out on day one here. I do keep the full page bookmark for search and other functions though. But thanks anyway.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.