Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Surgery « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 161
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone out there had knee replacement surgery? I will be having both knees done in the not too distant future ( at the same time I think ) and just wondered about others experience with this surgery and the recovery. Thanks for any info you can give!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3888
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out this site:

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topi c.cfm?topic=A00389

You'll find tons of info on there. One of my uncles had it done. The only thing he said was, he wishes he would have had the surgery about 5 years before he actually had it! He's had wonderful results, and continues life without knee pain. Good Luck!

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 341
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitbred:
Briefly:
Rule #1. Do NOT consider knee replacement unless your pain and/or mobility is beyond your tolerance.
#2. Your AGE is very important. If you are under fifty five years old, you should look for advice from some patients who have had it done in that age span.
(Replacing a 'replacement'is often necessary for a variety of reasons. Some, not very good.
# 3. Contact as many patients as you can who have had it done and get their feedback.
# 4. Get on the Internet and search for support groups for more personal information.
# 5. Find a competent surgeon to do the job. Contrary to general opinion, all Doctors, like all humans, are NOT created equal.
By employing # 2, 3, and 4, you may find a Surgeon with good credentials and excellent references.
Here is my experience. My left knee was replaced in January, 2001, at age 72. Four months later, my right knee was replaced.
"The Tale of Two Knees!"
The 'right' knee was a slam dunk. Six weeks after surgery it was as good as I could have hoped for. It still is, seven years later.
The left knee has been, not a nightmare, but rather a continuing "annoyance' like in,,,,
"ICE PACKS for SWELLING, limited flexion (110o) and sporadic soreness of the calf and/or thigh.
The soreness I speak of is quickly treated with Tylenol or a hot pack or just massage
However, I have NEVER had any more pain in the knee joints themselves.
There is a long story about my left knee that goes back to when I was ten years old.I won't go into that now.
# 6. If you have it done, never stop your physical therapy regimen.
Here in Tucson, we have a year round, heated swimming pool. It is absolutely the best venue for knee exercises, especially right after surgery. Walking in three feet of water creates a continuing resistance to your legs.
And most important, if you lose your balance, for any reason, you just flop into the water,,,,instead of hitting your head on a concrete sidewalk. I have been there, done that.
The web site that Eriedearie refers you to is an excellent one that covers all eventualities of knee surgery or not.
Read about the "infection" possibilities.
Very Important.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6814
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother has had both knees replaced. She too wished she had had it done earlier. She has an X-Ray card in her wallet to show airport security when they set off the metal detector. She has to take antibiotics before getting her teeth cleaned since that's a route of infection that could reach the knees.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2135
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you do go through with it, ask for dilaudid as soon as you wake up.

Good Luck Bred.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitbred....a very good friend of mine had both knees replaced, within four months of each other. Things had gotten so bad, he could barely walk - let alone continue to lift weights & compete at Senior Olympic track meets.

Well, it didn't take very long at all for my friend to recuperate from both surgeries; within a few months, he was hardcore-back in the weight room & vigorously throwing hammer, discus, and shot-put.

That man is 63 years-young & better than ever!

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 330
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Advice #1 - Don't skimp on your pain meds, or try to hold out for as long as you can.

Advice #2 - Do all of your rehab exercises. The exercises might start the day after surgery, or maybe even the day OF surgery!

Good luck and best wishes!

Detroitbred

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone for the valuable information. I knew I could count on you! I am 57 years old, but my pain and immobility is such that these damn knees affect every aspect of my life, which is not very enjoyable right now. Sleeping is a problem because I can't find a position that isn't painful, etc. I really have no choice at this point....without the surgery I will soon not be able to walk at all I'm sure. You have all been a great help and very reassuring to me, and I know I must go through with this. I am looking forward a future with no, or at least, less pain.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 386
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tossing in my two cents worth:

Try to find an orthopedic surgeon who treats sports figures. They are all about getting you back to normal as quickly as possible.

And yes...in the beginning don't wait to take your meds...if they wear off completely, it takes a long time to get it back in your system.

Good Luck!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2519
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to Dr. Larry Morawa at the Oakwood medical building on Michigan ave. in Dearborn (the old powerhouse building) he is renown for his knee replacements, he has designed his own knee joints and does a lot of replacements for athletes who are not seniors and will put some miles on the new knees.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lawrence Gerald Morawa, MD - Orthopaedics

Wayne State University Physician Group
21031 Michigan Avenue
Dearborn, MI 48124
(313) 277-6700

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1852
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get'r done. I know 5-6 people who have had one or both knees replaced, and each of them regret waiting as long as they did and were amazed at the rapid and great improvement in their mobility. I echo the comments on therapy, and I think some doctors will have you begin 1-2 days after surgery.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 335
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About ten years ago I served as the coach of my former mother-in-law when she had knee replacement surgery at Genesys Hospital in Flint.

A year after surgery, the hospital hosted a luncheon for the joint replacement patients (about 150) and their coaches.

All the patients who spoke said their only regret was not having the surgery done sooner.

Detroitbred

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am already wishing that..I have a high pain threshold and thought I would have to do this farther into the future. But my pain and immobility have greatly increased just lately ( guess I passed my threshold.) I am 57 but walk now like I'm 77. Not good.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3941
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitbred - I have been doing some research for my studies on medical transcription. I just typed a report on total knee replacement and my research brought me to this web site. And I thought of you. There is a lot of really good information here.

http://www.arthroscopy.com/sp0 5025.htm

It tells in layman's terms how the operation is performed among other things. I think you'll find this quite helpful.

Again, good luck. :-)

Detroitbred

Post Number: 166
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Erie, and everyone for the info and support. It means a lot.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.