Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Where were you when you heard that Obama had won? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nanska
Username: Nanska

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me first. I was in a taxi and the taxidriver told me. It took me a couple of seconds to do the translation in my head ( have not had the Political Science Mandarin class yet ) but I did figure out what he said. He was very happy to be the first one to tell me, an African-American, that Obama had won.

Next ?

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 939
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in my living room. I switched the channel to Fox and they said it. I was ecstatic. Went out on the porch and started talking to the neighbors.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2675
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watching CNN in my sunroom with my husband and a neighbor. Quiet celebration ensued.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 752
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Tap Room

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 597
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had it been today (payday) instead of yesterday, I would have been at a local watering hole halfway enjoying myself. Instead I was sulking at home.

Denbytar64
Username: Denbytar64

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a bad night for the USA. When you have the support of foreign presidents you are in big trouble. They are already laughing in our faces. The will chew him up and spit him out. he better align himself with hard people or we are in for a wold of shite.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3569
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It was a bad night for the USA. When you have the support of foreign presidents you are in big trouble. They are already laughing in our faces. The will chew him up and spit him out. he better align himself with hard people or we are in for a wold of shite."

That's positively ridiculous, Denbytar. :-)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9036
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I think he pretty much summed up the last 8 years of US foreign policy.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3846
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was positive that Obama was the winner long before yesterday, so I didn't watch any of the TV hoopla. Instead, I watched "Law and Order" on the Turner network, and heard the declarations on CNN when I flipped channels during a commercial.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was watching the TV in my kitchen. Nice thing about being on the west coast, it was only 8:00. Seeing CA, OR and WA going blue blue blue was a wonderful sight to behold. Then I had to spring to the phone as it starting ringing off of the hook with calls from joyous friends.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was up as 5:30 a.m. because I was excited to go and vote soooo, I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer and I hit the hay. I knew I could see it all over again this morning:-)

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5995
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I finished closing the Polls at central united methodist and went down the Greektown and watched the returns come on...

WOW one would have thought the Pistons won the Finals all the honking downtown....

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 692
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakland County Democratic Party celebration at the Troy Hilton Ballroom.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enjoying another B&B, wondering how it all went so bad.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was taking a shit. JK I was really taking a leak.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6815
Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just sitting here at my desk monitoring whatever news sources I could find. It was an announcement with no warning. They say among the cable TV channels, ABC announced it first and that prompted a sudden cascade of others to announce.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3848
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Christians, please come together for the sake of our lives."

Uh....Kath....you mean non-Christians should not come together also? As an agnostic, I guess that lets me out and I'll go my own way...... :-)

I'd of said, "Americans, please come together for the sake of our country" instead.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My referring to Christians only wasn't meant to exclude anyone.

I'd go on,but this isn't a good time. Must finish dinner.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 2157
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a common misperception among christians, Ray. That everyone else believes the same things that they do (or everyone should, anyway).

I was at work, and being part of the liberal media, of course we were all ecstatic. What made it even better was watching the conservative Charlie Gibson announce it.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheddar, Ray, and anyone else who reads my post. My post was so much deeper than I was able to put into black and white, hard, little words.

The thought in my head obviously didn't come out the way I wanted it to. I think I'll remove it before it gets twisted even further.

I am not what you may think.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 414
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kath, I didn't take it as if you were trying to exclude anyone. Your post was really a beautiful thought, and I really felt the power behind what you were trying to say. Your post was an appeal to pray for our country and the president. I understood and I was really moved by it. You may have typed Christians (I am one) but I know that the spirit of your post was directed to people that pray, to please pray.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown_lady,

YES, YES, YES! Thank you. I'm glad that you read it the way I meant it.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 210
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at Mr. B's in Royal Oak watching the election returns with a few friends.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laying in bed when I heard the horns and hootin and hollerin outside. Got up and turned on the tv set and waited for the speech.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 869
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a ship cruising towards St. Maartin. The people on St. Maartin were half-crazy with joy the next day. The local radio station played every Obama song in existence.

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 502
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was about 7:00 in downtown Anchorage at a wine bar. The place exploded with good cheer. It was the beginning of a really good night.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 4244
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i watched it with my daughter and said that your world has changed for the positive today...the next morning got on a very early flight to DC and saw the joy first hand...the airports were filled with people hanging on to every word and watching the world celebrate. I felt great..

when I got to DC I told my audience that it was great to be here and that I was very humbled, but the truth is that I would have loved to share this moment with my graduate and undergraduate students...this was a great step toward social justice..and it led more credence to my presentation..what a great day to be in DC and a American.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in the living room, and as soon as it was relatively certain that McCain had no chance, I made plans to go buy more firearms while I still can.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.