Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Goldengate Cafe roll call « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you visit Goldengate Cafe on a regular-semi-regular basis?

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 143
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stop in about once a week. Fantastic carrot cake muffins and the sorrel ginger drink they recently added to the menu is thanks to a recommendation from my boyfriend. :-)I raved about this place on another thread a few weeks ago. Very welcoming group of people there, great vibe - love it.

In comparison, another place I raved about - Goodwell's Natural Food Market - is now on my banned list. I will never step foot in that place to spend another dime. I have been shopping there weekly and loved the selection, small as it is. They seriously don't want me there, as bizarre as that might sound. I've never had a business treat me so poorly.

Terryh

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do you feel that way about Goodwell's Natural Food Market Tkierpiec.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the girls behind the counter refuse to acknowledge me, for one thing. The first few times I came in, I just assumed it was not a real friendly place and it was no big deal to me. But then I realized it was just ME who was being ignored and it started to bother me. When I put my items on the counter to pay for them, I am fully ignored. I say hello and get NO response. The cashier goes out of her way to ignore me until she is good and ready. I'm the only person at the counter, by the way. When she finally starts to ring me up, she will not even look at me. And she takes forever to finish - busy with a running dialogue with everybody else in the place so that I have to wait longer. She stops ringing me up to chat and then nonchalantly resumes. When I've paid and say thank you, once again, NOTHING. She's still looking past me and says not one word to me. I am invisible to everybody in that place. Meanwhile, they all say hello to my boyfriend and smile at him. It's the weirdest thing to me. I think I know what's going on but I'm not going to open that can of worms here. Suffice it to say, they just don't seem to want me in that shop and they clearly don't want my money, either.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14778
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow!

Is THAT place mis-named, or what?

I'm beginning to become a regular at Goldengate, I feel Dr. Bob is somewhat of a visionary, at least.

I've wanted to mention this place on the Garwood thread, as it has so much the feel of what those folks describe...a little pocket of freedom and glee in the midst of chaos.

I just love the Goldengate, and thank Tarryl for introducing me to everyone each time I go in there...even when I'm acting type-A trying to get to a gig on time!

Cheers

Terryh

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What can of worms Tkierpiec? Are you and youre boyfriend by chance an interacial couple? If that is the case, I can relate to what you are experiencing.

Do you guys ever stop in on drum circle night?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.