Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » White Members on Detroit Roll Call « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Denbytar64
Username: Denbytar64

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East Side Corbett & Newport Checking in

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 997
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What exactly is a "White Member on Detroit?" Is there a qualifying exam?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2864
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez, we just got rid of a guy who had his black member all over Detroit.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2233
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Member's Only jackets at Denby?

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 740
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IN Detroit, or ON DetroitYes?
either way, I'm white

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 359
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White in West Village

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 381
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I am here and I am white, Please don't make me check every month to see if I am still white, and report back here!

Ragtoplover59's one time only, checking in White, Post :-)

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We arent really white, more of a beige sort of dont you think?

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 863
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pasty white checking in...

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2687
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't it safe to assume that every member who hasn't checked in on the black members thread is white?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4809
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Isn't it safe to assume that every member who hasn't checked in on the black members thread is white?

No.

Ravine

Post Number: 2871
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor, you know I am one of your most ardent supporters, but I have to tell you: that question is the dumbest thing you have ever posted here.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor was up too late.

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely not a safe assumption. You won't find me checking in on either - because neither is entirely true. Strange assumption to make in a very diverse part of the world.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2689
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Calm down it wasn't a serious question.

Ravine

Post Number: 2873
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get that, yerronor, but it is because you are, usually, such a veritable fount of light-hearted, but incisive, wisdom that I was stunned by your ridiculous post and felt compelled to chastise you for it.
And, of course, we currently have little patience for young Mayors of the Negroid persuasion.
Sekou in 2013!

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 403
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

we currently have little patience for young Mayors of the Negroid persuasion

I know that was meant as a joke, but c'mon...

I understand that you're referring to Sekou and tying it into Kwame, but...eh. I don't know who the "we" is in your joke. My problem with the mayor was that he was corrupt, not that he was young and of the "Negroid" persuasion.

I get the joke, I understand it's supposed to be a joke. I'm sure I'll get jumped on as being a wet blanket...I just don't find racial jokes to be funny.

Ravine

Post Number: 2875
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, Downtown_lady, about offending you. The comment was 100% light-hearted, and was aimed at our esteemed in-house Mayor, who has repeatedly demonstrated that he has a terrific sense of humor, although he may be just young enough to not catch the Richard Pryor derivation.
Sekou In 2013!

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 404
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, Ravine...I didn't catch the Richard Pryor reference either. Please know I meant no harm. As a show of solidarity, Sekou in 2013!

Ravine

Post Number: 2876
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, it's cool. I didn't think you were being a "wet blanket," either. My comment was a bit "out there," you weren't comfortable with it, and you said so.
I kinda think this forum is actually in danger of becoming a little too polite, even if that politeness is dishonest, artificial, strained and forced, so I would be the last one to get all hyper-sensitive about a post like yours. Cripes! If I offend you, or even cause you to bristle up a bit, please don't hesitate to speak up.
The "Negroid persuasion" term is just an intensely silly bit which Pryor once used, and it struck my funnybone so sharply that I never forgot it.
Sekou In 2013!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 674
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White Redneck from Wayne, who will have mixed Redneck Grand BABIES ONE DAY, as long as they don,t really live in my basement like there parents.

East_detroit

Post Number: 2242
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess ignorance runs rampant.

When people show Black pride, its not anti-White or about race. Its closer to someone showing Irish pride or Italian pride.

Afterall, many AAs don't know what country their ancestors were from. Did I say many? I meant most.

So, the knee-jerk reaction from some white people is to get defensive at Black pride and assume its an affront to their race or that it is based in race. Then again, race comes up easily to those cognitively primed for it, I suppose.

If you're Italian and someone expresses Irish pride, how reactionary do you get?

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 746
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That doesn't make sense to me.
Black pride is about race. So is white pride.
It's not the same as being proud of what country your ancestors came from, just like there's Irish pride (for example) there is Jamaican pride (for example).

I think it's stupid, but it goes both ways as far as each race "getting defensive about" [other race] pride

East_detroit

Post Number: 2243
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its closer to someone showing Irish pride or Italian pride.

If an African American could show Kenyan pride or Sierra pride, then perhaps they would (and probably surprise most Americans to find out that there is a difference)... but they can't.

So, immediately assuming its about race rather than about a generalized pride in a familial/community tradition is an incorrect way to react.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.