Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Lafayette Park Opinions? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2084
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, we've been looking for a new apartment or condo in or around the CBD. There are a lot of places we like, but many places have issue with pets. In particular, we have two cats who we take for walks, and bring outside to play. Because of this, we wanted to look at some of the non-high rises around town. The best locations, and closest to the CBD and Midtown (work), appear to be in Lafayette Park. However, trying to find information on anything but the high-rises in Detroit, is like pulling teeth.

So can anyone give me any feedback about these places? Any suggestions, tips, comments, or reviews would be greatly appreciated.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1570
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you're probably having difficulty sean because the only rentals that are in the lafayette park area are the high rises. the townhomes are co-ops and do not allow their owners to rent or sublet. you might find somebody who's selling their condo in the leland lofts willing to rent.

mrs. rsa and i lived in the lafayette towers for 4 years and barely have anything bad to say about it. we had two cats while living there and they're pretty amiable to them.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 396
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, I think you'd love Lafayette Towers. Cats are welcome, and there's quite a bit of green space just to the west of the towers for you to take the cats to play. If you're in the area, check out the park just west of the towers.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 829
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, as RSA mentioned, the townhouses in LP are virtually all coops that don't readily permit the units to be rented.

If you've ruled out the high-rise apartments, there are several low-rise rental complexes in the neighborhood. To me, the nicest are the Jean Rivard Apartments. The complex is bounded by Larned, the Chrysler Service Drive, Lafayette, and Rivard. The door for the manager is on Lafayette.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Close to Duffield Elementary & Elmwood Cemetery...your kids will love the school & Elmwood is a great place for a relaxing stroll

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2093
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not know they were co-ops. Thank you.

So no part of the area between St. Aubin and Mount Elliot Cemetery is part of the Lafayette Park community?

Some communities tack things on, like Riverfront Towers being in Downtown, or the new neighborhood at The Lodge and MLK being part of Midtown. I have seen some apartments in that area labeled as part of Lafayette Park, so please forgive my confusion.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 831
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, the boundaries of Lafayette Park are generally considered to be the Chrysler Service Drive on the west, Larned on the south, Orleans (Dequindre Cut, St Aubin) on the east and Antietam on the north.

The area east of Lafayette Park as far as Mount Elliott is Elmwood Park.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.