Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Chuckjav to Kimistree « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 954
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Kimistree...

Chuckjav here, regarding possibility of speaking with your mom & uncle - on the subject of good old Miller High School.
Strong possibility that I will be in Detroit on Friday & Saturday; wondering if one of those days would work for a get-together?

Chuckjav

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 187
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will call and ask them when is a good time.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 960
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kimistree...Big-Thanks!
I should be able to secure the services of a local videographer - if Friday afternoon is workable with your mom & uncle.

Kimistree

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Chuckjav
Mom is really busy this weekend with her sorority, new sisters are joining. When are you leaving Detroit? She said Sunday would be good.

I haven't been able to get a hold of my Uncle.. These two are some busy senior citizens LOL
Just keeping you posted.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5947
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kimistree what soror is your momz in?

Chuckjav

Post Number: 961
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kimistree....Thanks for the update.
I am going back to Ohio on Saturday afternoon, but plan on returning in the near future; it's all-good.
The videographer I spoke of, is my son; we can get some advance footage on Friday.
Looking forward to visiting the old neighborhood - what's left of it.

I will be certain to holler ahead, next time I head north.

Chuckjav

Kimistree

Post Number: 189
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stylin,
She is in a sorority of Black Business and Professional women called the Iota Phi Lambda.

Here is a link:
http://www.iota1929.org/

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5949
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh ok so they are getting ready to pledge a line eh? nice to see your momz is still active...

Kimistree

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav,
I talked to my Uncle and he can't do it this weekend either, but he did say that Comcast was running a piece on Miller High (I'm guess through cable access) about 2 years ago. Maybe they could be of some help also.

Stylin,
Yeah she is very active..she is the chapter prez.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5953
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats cool.....k let me let u get back to your discussion. I didnt mean to intrude...

Chuckjav

Post Number: 964
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kimistree...Thanks; I really need to get myself a copy of Comcast's Miller HS documentary.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kimistree...just wanting you to know that I am returning to Detroit on Friday; going back to Duffield Elementary. I've got to get right back to Dayton - likely won't be a good day for meeting your mom and uncle.

Just wondering if your mom and/or uncle also attended Duffield?

Kimistree

Post Number: 191
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Chuckjav,
Mom went to Bishop Elementary, I asked her why she didn't go to Duffield and she said she lived more on the outer edge of Black Bottom but made if clear that she was still in Black Bottom. LOL! She said Bishop was leveled to make room for I75.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK...sounds like Bishop was a bit more to the west/southwest of Miller & Duffield.

When my family moved to the Bottom, in June of '65, there was a truly ancient school on Maple Street - Brownell Elementary, built in 1878, hard to tell how long it had been abandoned.

Brownell was about four houses down from where we lived; smack-dab between Duffield & Miller.
It was torn down during the summer of '65.

Kimistree

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I talked to my uncle today, and he said he has a DVD with interviews from Miller High graduates that a friend of his made.
Uncle said I could make a copy of it and give it to you, but he did express reservations about copyrighted works. I told him you would just use it for research :-)
I will get it tomorrow when I head to the westside. Hope this helps.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kimistree....Thank You; I am speechless (which is rare, indeed).
I have looked everywhere and, other than personal remembrances, cannot find any narrative or photographic information on Miller High.

For your mom and uncle, I will put together a photo disc featuring some recent photographs of Miller & Duffield.

Kimistree

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Chuckjav,
I didn't forget about you. My Mom and Uncle went to Georgia, when they get back I will get the DVD from my Uncle.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kimistree....Thanks again, looking forward to the DVD.
My son and I got some very nice interior photographs at Good Old Duffield Elementary!

PS I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Belle Isle Bridge Big Boy's Soul-Feast Buffet

Kimistree

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is funny you mentioned the Belle Isle Big Boy, I went there about 2 week ago. I had in my head to have a slim jim or something, so when I walked in and saw that buffet I was thrilled and excited! You are right it is very good and highly recommended.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kimistree...Happy Friday; I have links for some old-school (pun intended) photographs.

Mighty Miller
http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/d etroitstockphotos/gallery-show /G0000E52zg36LWh8/

Magnificent Mackenzie
http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/d etroitstockphotos/gallery-show /G0000HI5oTFv9Jwc/

Kimistree

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Thanksgiving Chuckjav,

I'm going my uncles for Thanksgiving Dinner, I will get the DVD.

Also I was talking with my cousin and she said every year the Miller High Alumni have a huge picnic on the grounds of the old High School. She said it has to be seen to be believed. Apparently people fly in from all over the country to come to it. I will see if i can find out a date for it this coming summer.

Don't eat too much today. I'll be in touch.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3916
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav, excuse the interrupt, but wasn't it you that lived up around Foley and Ward? Let me know; I have a "then and now" photo for you if so.

Kimistree

Post Number: 201
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav,
I have not one but 2 DVDs for you..I can mail them to you if you want.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Kimistree....A Thousand Thanks!
Can't wait to see the DVDs - I can send you a postage-paid envelope: please holler:
charlie.greene AT ketteringschools DOT org

Yes, Ray1936...c/o Ward & Foley; I would enjoy seeing some then/now photography.

Hope You Had an Excellent Thanksgiving.
Happy December!

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kimistree...Hello & Happy New Year - please let me send you a mailer for the Miller High School DVDs

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.