Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Paging Maof2 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3629
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Maof2. Bigb taught me how to do those little characters. When you see one that you like, put your cursor on it and right click, a drop down menu will pop up - go to "save picture as" and click there. It will bring up a box and you make a new folder where you want to save your images. I called my folder "images" - then you give the image a name. So whenever you see one you might want to keep you just do the same thing. Plus, there's lots of websites where you can download them from. Bigb sent me to gifs.com - there's tons of stuff there.

Yeah - I noticed my post count was off, so I jotted off an email to Lowell late this afternoon. Have not heard from him yet. Wonder how that happened!

About Toy Story - Whenever our little grandson would come over to stay, he brought his backpack full of DVDs. We've watched Monsters, Inc., probably 50 times, Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Shrek, All the animated stuff - Spider-Man - ALL of them - any super hero you can think of.

And why in the world Toy Story would not just pop right into my head today for the quote game - I HAVE NO IDEA! Maybe I saw it too much! LOL

Hope I was helpful. Any other questions on that, let me know. I'll be glad to help.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2497
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erie - what did WE do for entertainment at our age. Kids nowadays can't leave home without backup movies and games. (Maybe a blessing?)

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 798
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dearie, quite flattered that you would be the first to "page" me.

Didn't mean to be noisy about the your post, but i do, time to time, check the number. Oh look, i just checked yours and it's back in the 3,000's!

Anyway, thanks for the tip on the little characters. I will give it a try.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3633
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome Maof2. Isn't it cool to get paged?! I'm honored I was the first to put a shout out to ya! :-)

Yeah - how about those numbers? I don't usually pay attention to them, but I happened to notice when the number was around 21 or so. And I thought...what the heck! Thanks Lowell! :-)

Bigb - I know. At that age I was playing with paper dolls, Colorforms and ball and jacks. On a road trip we kept amused by waving at the truckers, checked out the license plates on cars, played I spy and sang silly songs.

The grandson can't leave the house without his portable DVD player, most of his movies, X box games, I pod, etc. Funny thing is, when he gets here with all that baggage - what does he find to play with? A stick and a cardboard box! Hours and hours of entertainment with those two items and there's about a thousand dollars worth of electronic things in the spare bedroom!

Moral of the story - imagination is still alive!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14342
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There IS a moral in there somewhere...when the economy does tank completely, toy manufacturers will turn up the heat in order to try to get children to hyper-nag their parents and guardians into continuing this foolishness.

I'll never forget watching the documentary The Corporation for the first time over at Twingo's...when the marketing woman was interviewed, and admitted they studied ways to get children to nag their parents while shopping.

If I remember it right, they found it took five times to affect a purchase. That was a few years ago...with some parents now it might just be even less, trainable sheople that they are!

Plus, more parents are playing their children's games.

I found my first electronic game last year, that ancient (1978) hand-held Mattel basketball one with the LEDs as 'players'. It still worked, but lost it's appeal in four runs, I remembered the sequence it took to end-run around the defense. Probably saved me from burning ten bucks replacing nine volt batteries!

Then I remembered the power Doom held over me when my friend introduced me to networked play over a decade ago...that was when I quit playing them completely! I've even had to remove Solitaire and Minesweeper from my Windows computers...no self-control.

What a waste of time, and a total synapse killer...they hold no allure to me...even when my Royal Oak client/friend tried to get me into Guitar Hero 'because I played guitar so I should be good at it'.

What a waste of time and a total synapse killer...but YAY!, I could get carpal tunnel and never actually learn a skill! Fifteen years of REAL guitar practice and playing, and I can at least bore a few folks at a coffeehouse open mic! (heh)

(but the praise to the Maker in my private time is pretty great!)

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2073
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, My mom said I could come over with my stick and cardbord box, you wanna play?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14344
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No playing until later, Django, AFTER the streetlights come on. I've got to get out and work now. Just shadow-swordplay for now, that lack of light should be as much fun as the real me anyways!

Maof2

Post Number: 811
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ya know, my hubby complains to my kids all the time, especially, my son, with the video games and all. he's says, quite often, "when i was your age, we were always outside, playing ball, kick the can, etc. i do agree with him but i have to remind him that when we were kids, we didn't have video games, and a gazillion tv stations. we only had channels 2,4,7,9, 50 and 56. and if we were lucky, we'd get channel 20. too (that is if we could get just the right amount of foil on the rabbit ears)!

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3646
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh gosh yes - remember those rabbit ears. We still have one tv with those...just looked at it and it has foil at the tips of the ears!

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3651
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is your sister into medical transcription? I'm taking a class in that. It's really keeping me busy!

Maof2

Post Number: 820
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, probably about the last 12 or 13 years. this was after she was laid off from another job she had for about 25. things haven't been good in that profession, ie. cutting back, outsourcing, pay cuts, etc. sooo, if your looking to get into the profession, you might want to think twice.

she does tell some funny stories about physicians accents, whose not chewing and making noises and how she would like to tell them to.....well, you know.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3653
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I'm goin' for it. I'm told there are a lot of transcription openings through the big health corporations. They are looking for MTs to work from home; that is what I'm being trained for. One of the gals in town took the same course but she opted for a job with a physical therapy office where she does all their dictations. She's doing really well.

I got downsized from a profession where I had 28 years experience. And there's nothing to be had around here doing that kind of work.

Plus, the schooling keeps my mind busy and learning something new. I need to ward off the senior moments for as long as I can! Even if I go nowhere with it, I'll at least know what the doctors are talking about when diagnosing me and Mr. Eriedearie. :-)

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3654
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah - the sounds from the doctors. I had one today that sneezed several times into the microphone and kept talking all the while. There are some that will dictate sitting next to a ringing phone, an overhead paging system as well as construction work going on around them. I'm talkin' hammering, power sawing and drilling. Oh the fun!

Does your sister live in the Metro area?

Maof2

Post Number: 823
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now you can diagnosis yourself and the Mr!

My sister has worked from home for about five years for SJH and before, was at the hospital itself. All I know is that every time I talk to her, it always something, and it's never good. Usually, those independent Dr's office have their own M.T.'s

I talk to her just about every day or so, and if there's any other info., i'll keep you posted.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3655
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay - then she probably has tons of inside info on the industry with her experience. I've got about 800 more practice reports before I graduate! So I've got a lot to learn yet. So far for me, the ESL = English as second language docs, I can understand pretty well. I think they try harder to speak clearer. At least that's what I'm finding so far.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.