Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Good place to study « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 434
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey I need a place to study for the next 2 days for the whole day somewhere near downtown. I'm thinking the main library across from the DIA. Are there any small private rooms I can sit in? I've used those at other campus libraries.

Any other suggestions? I'm thinking a place with minimal people/interruptions.

Just thought I'd throw that out here.

Thanks.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 355
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the downtown branch was always quiet when I worked down there

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second the Downtown Branch (Skillman). And there are plenty of places nearby if you need to duck out for a snack.

Haydenth
Username: Haydenth

Post Number: 243
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're looking for a quiet library, I highly recommend the WSU Law Library. The main library is not very quiet and doesn't have wifi. Additionally, the city libraries have terrible hours and are usually either loud or closed.

You don't have to be a law student to use the Law Library and the hours are very good (open until 11pm).

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 435
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone for your help.

I did notice the hours of the Detroit libraries - 10:00am -6:00am. I was hoping for something like 8-8. The Law Library is open from 8-11. Thanks again.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1983
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As CMU off campus did not have a library building I did most of my studies at the Hazel Park Library or Work (thanks Boss/Dad) or the Country Boy Restaurant.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2575
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second the WSU Law Library, it is big enough you can find a secluded corner easily.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5549
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Purdy/Kresge at Wayne State is good. You can't get online if you arent a student but the public can get in.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 337
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Purdy-Kresge Library at Wayne State is open til 11 during the week. The Skillman branch, in downtown Detroit, is also usually quiet. Don't remember what their hours are, though.

I DON'T recommend the Undergrad library at Wayne. It's more of a place for freshman to socialize than for anyone to do actual studying.

http://www.lib.wayne.edu/genin fo/library_hours/index.php

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2079
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Note that the WSU libraries are checking Student ID past certain hours. At least thats the case at Kresge.

Adamany Lib? Easier to study while standing in front of the Big Gulp machine at a busy 7-11.

Jennifer
Username: Jennifer

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adamany = Club Undergrad

stay far away!

the science lib is usually pretty quiet too

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5010
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too funny! ^^ last two posts.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.