Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Going to Wal Mart? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1954
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If any one is shopping at Wal Mart in the near future could you do me a favor and swing down the toy aisle? I am looking for the Motor Max Die Cast Dodge Omni / Plymouth Horizon in 1/24 Scale. This is the latest installment of the the Fresh Cherries line. I'm not looking for the smaller scale 1:64 in the blister pack. I want to buy one and make it look like my '86 Omni from my college days part #1. If you find one, please post the approximate shelf quantity and the Wal Mart location, and I'll swing by and get it. Thanks!

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6707
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not check eBay or something? That will help you avoid going to sprawl-mart for the best of chinese made goods :-)

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 528
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://walmartwatch.com/

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1996
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope nobody mistakes the "Fresh Cherries" for food and bites into that Chinese lead laden paint.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1955
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, I avoid Wal Marts for EVERYTHING else and refuse to spend ANY money there aside from the occasional $12 for a die cast car. However these Fresh Cherries seem to only be marketed to select wal marts. Ebay and the other internet retailers do not stock the Omni / Horizon yet. I believe they are also bringing out a Dodge Diplomat which means a 1980s Detroit Cop Car project may be in my workbench's near future. Another hobbyist told me last night these cars are only stocked at Canadian Wal Marts for some reason. It appears to be the thinking of the regional Wally Mart manager is the only types of toy cars we want in SE Michigan are the DUB City ones.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6711
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck. :-) I won't set foot in one, so I can't help you out to see if there's any in Windsor... Maybe there's another Canadjun on here who does?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10332
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely no! I won't even park in their lot. I would rather spend a few extra bucks on a locally owned establishment. If I can't find it there I will get it from Zeller's (not as bad as Walmart but bad enough).

Cambrian

Post Number: 1956
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any how, yes retailers like Wal Mart are responsible for the Mass off shoring of jobs. I do believe that their bad PR is deserved, but like the link FrankG posted says, they are being called to task for their actions. We wouldn't want for anyone to feel afraid to respond to this call out for assistance because they feel they would be called out for supporting the "enemy". No matter where you shop these days, from Aco to Zeller's you are inundated by Chinese goods. I do find it ironic that the Business minds of the 90s sought to improve the "economy" by off shoring manufacturing jobs. A decade later our economy is in the toilet, and from what we saw on the Olympics' China's is in the Penthouse. The difference, they have the manufacturing base we gave up. The lesson, it takes a broad middle class with disposable income to make an economy, not a few rich market manipulators as Reagonomics would have us believe.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3117
Posted on Tuesday, August 26, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wal mart is bad

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 630
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Omni owners unite!

'89, silver...'til the paint started flaking off.

Some day, I will restore a Shelby Omni GLH Turbo...some day.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My '86 was a great little car. Excellent snow traction, which also made it perfect for exploring two track roads, stellar gas mileage, the 2.2 stick shift powertrain offered decent acceleration; All presented in a roomy and practical package. The car I replaced it with, a '93 Tracer LTS, was cramped inside and handled poorly. I would like to get a GLH some day too.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3520
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh god, more anti-Wal*Mart propaganda...

(Message edited by DetroitRise on August 29, 2008)

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first car was a 1989 Plymouth Horizon. The damn thing got 30+mpg. I could fill the thing up for under $10 (then again gas was $0.99 a gallon) Awesome, awesome little car! Wish I still had it!

Vintagesoul
Username: Vintagesoul

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2008 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I learned how to drive in a sky blue horizon back when you could still take driver's ed at school...lol

And I won't be setting foot or spending one dollar in a wal-mart. Ever. So sorry.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.