Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Paging Grumpyoldlady « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you say you worked at WJBK? I did, from 78 or 79 through 81. Ken Cline was in the next "office".

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 3:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackenzie68....yes, I worked there from 1972-1981. I worked on the switchboard on weekends and all holidays. Of all the jobs I've had in my life, that was the most enjoyable and interesting. Oh the stories I could tell about the strange phone calls people make to television stations!

Olddetroiter
Username: Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GOL: Do you remember Bob McBride? I used to work with his wife Cindy at GM in the early '80s.

Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course I remember him. He was always very nice to me, even though I was not part of the "talent". Cindy was a nice lady. I always wondered what happened to Bob after he left TV2.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GOL: Cindy and Bob moved to Washington DC where he became an anchor for one of the local TV stations. I lost track of them after that.

Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 213
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quite a switch from being GM of a big market affiliate. I'll bet the heart of a certain gal at TV2 was broken when he left, lol.

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GOL: I'll bet that gal wasn't Terry Murphy. It must have been you.... I only met Bob once, when Cindy had a dinner for our work group at their house. He seemed like a nice guy though.

Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, not me and definitely not Terry Murphy. Bob was a people person, and often stopped by the board to chat when he stopped in on weekends. He even took time to contribute to a poster I had that you filled in with colored markers...most of the weekend crew did...and signed the back of the poster.

Mackenzie...what department did you work in? If you say Ken Cline was in the "office" next door, were you in MCR?

Olddetroiter

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Tuesday, September 02, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GOL: Was Beverly Payne (Draper) still there when you were there? I used to be in a St. Bernard dog club, and I saw her once or twice at a dog training class. She was BEAUTIFUL! Even prettier in person than on the air.

Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 218
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Beverly Payne was there. Yes, she was very pretty. Let's see...who else do I remember? Joe Glover, Bob Edgington, Emmett Capper, Jo Jo Shutty MacGregor, Murray Feldman (still there), Red Jamieson (R.I.P.), Ann Doyle, Barry ZeVan, Sonny Elliot, Ray Lane, Jac LeGoff, Robbie Timmons, and a lot more I can't recall right now. I was friends with a number of the crew and techs, and some office people, too.

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I left the switchboard in 81 to move to California. I came back in 2005 because it was a good time to sell a house there and dad is here.

Who was the reporter who could only do a story with her shoes off? She worked weekends with that kid, Murray Something (lol).

Tell me how Wismer and the gang are.

ETA Wait a minute, I just realized who you are. Folks, she didn't used to be grumpy.... And she taught me some good stuff.

Barb

(Message edited by Mackenzie68 on September 05, 2008)

Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 223
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know who you are, too! Wow! It has been 26 years! How the heck are you??? We've GOT to talk!
You're talking about Nancy McCaulay who worked barefoot. Murray Feldman. Owen Wismer...hadn't thought about him in years.
Please email me at my yahoo.com address...my ID is gralady (no y in the middle). Can't wait to catch up. Let's talk soon....Mary

(Message edited by grumpyoldlady on September 05, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.