Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Paging Lowell « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3533
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, your photos on the header of DY are superb, without exception. However, the shot of the storm drain cover with 'DETROIT' across the grid absolutely brings a smile to my face.

You are an artist, sir!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13921
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That one hit me on the head, too!

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 433
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I looked at that and smiled too.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6160
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfect size. It's nice and gritty too. That one should stay in the mix permanently.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8333
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be the devil's advocate. I don't like that one so much, because unlike the other pictures, it really doesn't match the site at all. On it's own, it's cool.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 476
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just noticed that today, good picture!!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2580
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, the storm drain cover hitting you on the head could explain a few things, but if you're thinking that we will accept the incident as a catch-all excuse for your multivariate manifestations of misbehavior, you're mistaken, monsieur.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 7272
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which one Lowell, location please.

jjaba.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2452
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I trust this beloved storm drain cover also had either the logo or the infamous "Made by East Jordan Iron Works" stamped on it somewhere.
Never trust the metallurgical integrity of a storm drain cover or a man hole cover that was not made by EJIW.

Jjaba

Post Number: 7279
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EJIW started in 1883 by Willaim Malpass. Now the company is run by a 4th generation of the same family. Celebrating their 125th anniversary.

They still make fire hydrants, castings, pumps, and manhole covers.

The Rock demands the best.

jjaba.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4968
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the kind remarks. For jjaba, the direct link: https://www.detroityes.com/HeaderFl ash/gallery/album1/large/21.jp g

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I might have been the only one who especially loved that pic.

NICE.

BTW, I went to the East Jordan Iron Works once a couple of years ago. My Boss had a bunch of scrap to be recycled and they apparently used to buy scrap, but due to some new regs they can't anymore. I wish I had tried to get a tour of the place. EJs quite the quaint little town.

Nice pic Lowell, Thats the reason Im posting.

Jjaba

Post Number: 7285
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, at 5,000 posts, you win a prize on your own website. Centurian to the 5th power.
It brooks no demeaning.

jjaba.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1894
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drive by there all the time on my way to my house up north. It's like an old Colorado Mining town with a lot of old buildings downtown, but new condos on the lake. You should see the freighters maneuver through the pine river channel in Charlevoix with a couple of feet on the sides.
Right down the street in Boyne Falls they have a great Polish festival every year in the beginning of August.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.