Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Where to live in Chicago help? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My GF's sister got a job teaching kindergarten in Chicago public schools in lincoln park. She is not a city girl type and im trying to help her find a place in chicago to live school starts soon and she has 3 months to find a place. She doesnt want to walk to her school because its in cabrini green(moving to a nice area next year). What areas should to look in. Usually i would say anything northside but i do not know the neighborhoods well. (another person leaving michigan because they couldnt get a job)

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1947
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a south side job assignment while contacting at Ford 13 years ago. The company put me up in Highland Indiana. I brought my family out with me while I worked at the Ford Plant and we loved it. It was safe, quiet and close to all public transportation, Amtrak, South Shore Rail road and METRA. This meant we hardly ever had to deal with Chicago traffic, we always road trains in. Does Chicago require an address in Chicago for its teachers?

Steelworker

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes they require teachers to have a chicago address. If she was teaching in a school in a safe area, I would tell her to ditch her car but the new school will not be open till the following year.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You say the school is in Lincoln Park, then you say it is in the Cabrini Green area, so I'm a little confused.

However, I do know Chicago neighborhoods. Wicker Park has kind of a Royal Oak vibe to the place. Logan Square is near to Lincoln Park but is much more downscale. Rogers Park is a little far north for a commute to Cabrini Green, but is near the water and has a viable rental stock.

Parking is a bitch at all of those.

Another idea, is way down south in the former experimental town of Pullman. George Pullman built his idea of perfect small town next to his train car factory. It fell on hard times, but in the last decade or so the little town has staged a comeback.

http://members.aol.com/pullman il/

http://www.pullmanil.org/

I was there about a month ago, and while it is surrounded by the REAL southside, it seems to be a very closeknit community. Think of it like Corktown.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13794
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SW,

Tell her to sell her car NOW. There is no need for it in that area and is way more trouble than it is worth.

Get a flat near Cabrini Green and walk...with another teacher even if she's concerned.

Cabrini Green is NOT anywhere near what it used to be...next year if and when she gets another posting, she can move near the next school.

I've a friend I just reconnected with in Chicago who is a teacher...she now lives up in Evanston near HER new assignment...but she's pretty well connected throughout the city.

If you'd like, I can get your GF's sister and her together for a Chicagoland tutorial!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8258
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I had a south side job

Did you know Leroy Brown?

Gannon

Post Number: 13797
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(heya, Gnome, could you hit me up via e-mail when you get the chance, I need to share something with you that I stumbled upon through a Google search that I forgot about until you chimed in here! jjgannon (at) ix (dot) netcom (dot) com, thanks.)

Steelworked, you can find me there, too, if you want to arrange that tutorial from my old friend.

Steelworker

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Problem is she is not a city girl doesnt even like to drive in detroit anywhere(scared). I personally would be fine and would sell my car but she is a suburban girl her whole life.

Except she was teaching in a crappy charter school in detroit so she has that kind of experiance.

Ive heard cabrini green isnt as bad before. She is going to be staying with her friend in logan square(also teacher) until she finds her own place. She has someone setting a bad example her friend who lives in logan park drives to her teaching job on the southside all the time(heard she drive around everywhere). she needs a tutorial/tour.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1948
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL, Who, the baddest man in ole south town? Nope. But some at the plant were mean as junkyard dogs.

Gannon

Post Number: 13803
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We will have to work to have her release that fear first...that will be her biggest obstacle to fully enjoying this adventure in her life, and possibly make her a magnet for bad shit to gravitate towards.

That's a karmic thing I don't have a grasp of just yet, but the trends are WAY too certain. IF you fear, somehow evil knows and makes a beeline for you.

Steelworker

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are there any areas that are on the edges of burbia(in chicago) for her if she refuses to be a city girl? ie like area of detroit on moross.

Gannon

Post Number: 13805
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anything that resembles what you ask for will be an hour and a half commute minimum.

There really IS no 'edge' to the urbia there...except the lake, of course.

Maybe she can invest in a houseboat?

Gannon

Post Number: 13806
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anything that resembles what you ask for will be an hour and a half commute minimum.

There really IS no 'edge' to the urbia there...except the lake, of course.

Maybe she can invest in a houseboat?

Gnome

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Pullman community has a train stop right out front and is about 20 minutes from downtown. Since I'm not sure where the school is located any commute would be a wildassguess

got it gannon...

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I normally don't recommend "apartment finders" but my friend was in a bind last month & had to find a place to live immediately. This woman, TK, has lived in the city her entire life, and knew the near north neighborhoods very well. She spent two days taking my friend all over the north side ONLY showing her exactly what she wanted in her exact price range. Best part? It's a free service. Call TK - 773.248.8000 ext 94

Another thing to remember, is that "city life" in Chicago, even the bad parts, is nothing like it is here. Your friend will still see all the recognizable chain stores & restaurants, and other ammenities you typically find in the suburbs. She should have no problem finding a place in the city where she will feel very safe.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 590
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived not far from Cabrini Green at LaSalle and Division. Right near a Jewel and the rents were actually unusually low. No, this is not because of proximity to Cabrini Green, and yes this area is nice and hardly ghetto.

She can live in a starter place around there.. such as a studio for $740/month. Just 1 block from the redline stop and close to the Clark bus lines. Very convenient for quick northside access.

Pullman is not an option. Period. This is not good Chicago living unless you want to live in seclusion. But it's the closet you can get to a similar lifestyle in Detroit, and I'm not saying that in a mean way. I wouldn't mind it when I grow old and decided to retire. But there is literally nothing around it.

(Message edited by wolverine on August 19, 2008)

Steelworker

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all i know is her school is in cabrini green and that after this year everyone is moving to a brand new school they are building in lincoln park. Why does TK offer that service?

Im excited to help her plan things its kinda like im planing my escape as well. I do know this girl is actually fleeing detroit because of a man and she is tired of no job prospects in michigan other than crappy charter school in the hood. But I am trying to make this transition easier on her because I know shes never been in any city environment.

Wolverine

Post Number: 591
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker, I want to give you honest answers and avoid the urban pioneer type of recommendations and say that if your girlfriend is living alone, it's in her best interest to be in a safe neighborhood. Regardless of the improvements to Cabrini green, it's still not safe to be around there at night for a woman who is walking alone. She should be fine going to work, but definitely look around at apartments all over Lincoln Park. You'd be surprised that you can find some reasonably priced places.

Other places I wouldn't recommend her staying are Rogers Park and Uptown. It's fine if you are a young couple both moving into an apartment and have each other for security, but these places still haven't quite made it yet. Maybe in a few years. I personally liked these neighborhoods the most, but as I said, I'm suggesting what I think is best for her safety, as well as being close to the establishments you and her would enjoy.

Gannon

Post Number: 13825
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TK gets paid by the managers and landowners for her 'free' service.

So your friend is 'fleeing' a man...I certainly hope she fares better in Chitown, Steelworker, honestly and seriously.

She'd better get those fears quelled, though, or she's going to have health problems. That ain't a way to live, no matter where you land.

Gnome and I spoke on this tonight, and he made his case about Pullman, thanks for the opposing view Wolverine.

I've never known ANY working-class person able to live alone in Chicago...EVERYONE has had roommates, partners, or spouses. There were two people in my extensive travels there for over a decade living alone...one was a doctor, the other a very famous auctioneer.

They were both neurotic and heavy work to simply be around...

Wolverine

Post Number: 592
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your welcome, you'll find my opposing view highly valuable.

BTW. It's not living in fear, it's living responsibly.

Gannon

Post Number: 13831
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not necessarily, they both LOOK similar...but the inner motivation is key.

We used to play the game back in my early days living in the city...were our actions done our of wisdom or fear?

It did a huge job drumming out fear, and I think I gained wisdom along the way!

Steelworker

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah i want to help her find a place that is not the urban pioneer site. I think she is looking at spending a grand for rent. She was quote that she would make 48,000 to start.

Wolverine you sound like you live in something she would be interested in. So you would advise her to drive to her job in cabrini green too, right? where is rogers park and uptown? I only know downtown and near north and little parts of lincoln park. Oh how much is months unlimited transit pass?

Steelworker

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow i looked at some places on craigslist in rogers park very close to beach and they are very reasonably priced, and close to redline stop.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4159
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recommend the near South Side, or the Southwest Side. Better value for your rental dollar, and close to El lines and the downtown Loop. That means relatively safe, well-kept neighborhoods like Bridgeport, Canaryville, McKinley Park, Brighton Park, and Archer Heights.

Gannon

Post Number: 13834
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Red Line used to be one that quit running late, you might want to check their schedule to see if that is still the case!

Gannon

Post Number: 13835
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez, if she will spend a grand monthly, I saw ads on a little and very unknown street at 2300 North, right in the thick of Lincoln Park and VERY cool for both studios and one-bedrooms available.

If you look at where Fullerton crosses Clark...just west of the tri-angle formed by Cleveland and Belden...you will see a tiny street called N. Cambridge Avenue.

It is a really, really cool neighborhood that is right in the thick of things...she will absolutely LOVE it...except no cab driver will ever know where she stays.

They've got at least three apartment buildings on that intersection and I saw signs advertising rentals available when I was there last week.

Cheers

Gannon

Post Number: 13836
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She will be TWO blocks from the park...and with both Clark and Lincoln Avenue nearby, never at a loss for things to do and places to go.

Wolverine

Post Number: 593
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good suggestions Fury.

My suggestions for Rogers Park and Uptown were ones she might want to avoid. They are up and coming, but as I mentioned, these neighborhoods still have issues. Not exactly where I'd recommend a young lady to live. But yes, the rents are affordable, and the apartments are spacious. I helped move my friend out of his apartment just of Sheridan and he even had a full dining room. His rent I believe was $680. The Clark/Division area where I was is somewhat affordable but it was a studio. $1000 should put you up to a 1 bedroom while still being close to business strips and CTA stops. But, I haven't looked at any other listings.

Your girlfriend will be getting off at Clark/Division stop of the red line to get to work. She can also take the bus. I like to take the Clark #24 to get to all the things I enjoy on the northside. It stops alot along its route, but it's convenient.

Steelworker

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i found out where the current school is its off clybourn on ogden, looks like they built new condo looking thing behind the school. I google street viewed it and the area looks like its coming back only a few block over at halsted and clybourn it looks normal. Anyways thank you for you help

Steelworker

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just looked it up the red line works 24 hours a day.

Gnome

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rodgers Park is up around Touhy and Sheridan. I have a daughter in Rodgers Park, and it is affordable and is an up-and-coming area. That means it ain't great yet, but it does have a lot to offer.

Number one is its proximity to the water and small cafe's, but there aren't any large supermarkets in the area. I think the closest Jewell/Osco is up in Evanston.

I can't personally vouch for Pullman. Just tossed it out there for consideration. It is definately an enclave within the larger Southside. It does not have the urban groove that much of Chicago is known for. No funky little cafe's or shot-n-a-beer dives; but is does have a historical vibe.

I don't know if the future sister-in-law is a home body or closet slam dancer; so to project an opinion on what might be a good social fit would be presumptuous.

here is the Chicago Crime watch googlemaps mash-up: http://www.spotcrime.com/il/ch icago

sex offenders list (you have to allow for cookies to make the search function work): http://www.familywatchdog.us/

(Message edited by gnome on August 19, 2008)

Steelworker

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the school is skinner elementary on ogden (dead end street) its off clybourn in cabrini green. Next to some new condo looking buidlings. not too far from halsted

Gnome

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how about dearborn Plaza Apartments:
http://www.apartmentratings.co m/rate/IL-Chicago-Dearborn-Pla za-Apartments.html

1.2 miles from skinner, certainly bikeable in the warmer months. don't know about bus service

map: http://maps.google.com/maps?da ddr=1443+N+Ogden+Ave,+Chicago, +IL+60610&geocode=&dirflg=&sad dr=1030+N+Dearborn,+chicago&f= d&sll=41.909463,-87.646222&ssp n=0.00634,0.013218&ie=UTF8&t=h &z=15

Gnome

Post Number: 1675
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how about directly across the street at North Town Village?

http://www.northtownvillage.co m/default.aspx?pageid=2646

quote:

North Town Village is a vibrant mixed-income residential community located in the heart of Chicago, on Halsted Street. In 1998, the City of Chicago selected the Kenard/Holsten development team from a pool of eleven developers responding to a Request for Proposal for the Cabrini Extension Redevelopment, Phase One. The development team had the opportunity to create a new community for families and individuals with a wide range of income levels: market rate, affordable rate, and public housing residents.

Steelworker

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah that north village area is the thing i saw on google street view. always wonder how safe it would be around there and wether your in oasis of crap. I wonder what the car insuarance rates are in chicago as well? And do they have city income tax?

Gnome

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steel, you have now officially maxxed out my good nature.

Do your own research.

Car insurance, wtf, like we're suppose to know her car or diving record? Income tax? You have to be kidding me.

I gave you the chicago crimewatch link, the sex offender link, and two viable housing choices and instead of doing any work on your own, you have the poor taste to ask about an "oasis of crap".

Go there yourself and look.

Steelworker

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mean you know relative cost(car insurance, city income tax) to detroit thats all. Thats all, sorry to worn out your good nature. Thanks for the help.

Wolverine

Post Number: 598
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no city income tax in Chicago. But be prepared to pay a much higher sales tax. 10.25% citywide and 11.25% in the loop (to pay off the convention center) Surrounding counties it drops to around 7%

I don't know what the car insurance rates are in Chicago since I'm still registered in Michigan.

Oh and speaking of driving. Remember that she should register her vehicle. Anyone living in the city with a car must register. Just because you have out of state plates doesn't make you exempt from this system. Depending on what neighborhood she lives in, she will have to register by neighborhood as well. Tags are colored coded. Many areas around Cabrini Green do not have this and you can park all day at no cost if you'd like. Of course, I doubt she'll be driving. But the LaSalle and Division area I mentioned had quite a bit of free, no-tag parking, and always open spots. It was a a nice luxury since parking is hard to come by in many northside neighborhoods.

If she plans to make trips out to the suburbs, or one of you is going back and forth between Chicago and Michigan, get an I-Pass for the tollways. I love it....saves time and money. It works on the Indiana tollway as well. Minimum cost is a $40 fee to load the account, and a $10 fee for the transponder. It's all refundable if you decide to stop using it.

Don't worry, I don't mind the questions lol.

(Message edited by wolverine on August 21, 2008)

Steelworker

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wolverine isnt lasalle and division near the rowdy bar section on division? Thank you as well wolverine. Im surprised lots of people saying she wont drive to work in cabrini green. I wonder why only that one set of condos have been built considering they torn lot of the projects down and its proximity to downtown/loop.

Wolverine

Post Number: 600
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are actually building condos out of control over there. It's just taking time to rehouse the existing residents. The area has a lot of mixed income with subsidized and market rate housing in the same buildings/rowhomes. It's not far from a block of bars a couple blocks east if that's what you are thinking of. There's this one particular shady block surrounded by all nice stuff. People in the neighborhood always thought they should just level the whole thing and rebuild from scratch. It consists of check cashing places, take out food, two liquor stores and a low-income highrise. It isn't bad, just interesting. I like that there is a Jewel right there and you can walk your groceries back. If you want to drive there, that's fine too and there's limited parking, but always empty spots. It's also right next to the red line stop. It's hard to name the neighborhood exactly. I'd say Wells and Division was almost the point intersection of three neighborhoods: Cabrini Green, Old Town, and Gold Coast. With the exception of maybe Old Town (which people define its boundaries loosely) I notice when people ask you what neighborhood you are in, if you say Gold Coast or Cabrini green you get two completely different responses. I just prefer to say "Near North" at the Clark and Division stop and everyone knows.

I'd say the best division marker between Cabrini green and the rest is the brown line. It's all nice buildings east of the tracks, but right when you go west there's a lot of vacant land...at least for the next 2 years.

If I lived in this area and worked at the school where she was, I'd personally ride a bike. I don't mind walking too much, but it will be at least 2 years before Cabrini Green has been entirely placed by new development. Currently it's the remainder of the vacant projects and some open lots. It's creepy walking through that empty space, and she may not like that.

(Message edited by wolverine on August 22, 2008)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1785
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lincoln Park!

Steelworker

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just found out where she will live she has an apartment in roscoe village. for about 900 including parking.

Wolverine

Post Number: 616
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well there you go, sounds like she found a good place, and hopefully not too far from the brown line.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2574
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Englewood! Great neighborhood.

Wolverine

Post Number: 617
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ LOL!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.