Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » 36th district court: ticket for no insurance card in car « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone had a similar situation?

Awhile back I got pulled over for “disregarding a stop sign” at John R and Harper. Unfortunately I did not have my proof of insurance card in the car, although my insurance is up to date. I received two tickets: one for the stop sign and one for no insurance. I tried to take my insurance card into the court to have that ticket taken away (which is what the cop told me I could/should do) and they said I needed to come to a court date. Well, that court date is coming up and I’m sort of confused—what should I be prepared for? I feel like this is a waste of the court’s time and money and I’m not sure what I’m “fighting,” seeing as I have always had my car insured. Am I worried for nothing?

Any insight would be appreciated…

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you can, try and fight both tickets at the same time. Maybe the cop wont show up and youll get out of both. I think your worrying for nothing. I dont remember having to go to court for non proof of insurance before, but Ive never dealt with that prob in the 36th. Judge should just dismiss it. No worries.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4848
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No insurance card is an automatic court date now, so this is not unusual.

Vintagesoul
Username: Vintagesoul

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup is right - they've changed the rules now. I'm embarrassed to admit, I do this all the time. I'm forgetful like that. Basically what they've done is removed the fee waiver, so if you get the ticket you're going to pay *something* like $25 or $35 or something - depends on where you are. They no longer waive the fee completely. But you will just have to show your proof of insurance to the judge and then they'll tell you what you have to pay.

Of course, you could be lucky like Django said and maybe the cop won't show up. You might as well take your chances! :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.