Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Any Forumers Been to New Zealand Recently? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend is planning a November 2008 trip to New Zealand for 90 days or less. He is in his early 40's and knows nothing about the place. No one we know has been there.

I'm looking for recent experiences, names of visited cities, or whatever you can give me to pass on to him.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can pass on some good information!

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 255
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there for Business in Fall 2003. Fell in love with the place. Spent a few days in Auckland, but then went to the south island which was pretty amazing. Home base was Queenstown, which is where I would live if ever win the lottery. Absolutely beautiful----varying terrains within hours. This is where your friend should make his home base. The people are lovely, too.
I'm jealous. It's a good time of the year to be there, too with it being the start of their summer. OHHHHHH, I am jealous.
One other thing: there are no predatory animals in NZ. Weird,but true.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chalu64, thanks. Is is expensive there? Is the money hard or easy to figure out? I think this is a silly question, but what type of clothing would a 40 something male wear to not stand out like an American tourist?

What's the food like down there? Same as here?

Which airline did you take? Was it fine?

Thanks, Chalu!

Chalu64

Post Number: 257
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flew into LA from Detroit. Basically landed in LA around 7pm and got on a flight to Auckland at 9:30pm. We took Air New Zealand which is an awesome airlines. I wanted to take Qantas because of all the great press,but Air New Zealand was great. The flight to Auckland is about 13 hours.... We then stayed in Auckland a few days before flying to Queenstown which I believe is another 2 hour flight.
I didn't dress any differently. We were there end of Sept/Early Oct. It was still somewhat chilly,so we had plenty of fleece, layers. The people are awesome....they wanted to know everything about where I was from when I would meet them. They are just very gracious people. The food is good, too. Lots of places serving paninis, pizza etc. We ate Thai food often---Pretty much the same fare as in the States. Except for breakfast....they eat things like the Brits...bangors (sausages) and beans with breakfast. The Tea is amazing,too. Everywhere you go, it's loose and excellent.
Queenstown is very touristy, but it's wonderful. Tell your friend to go on Flickr and look at pics. I just loved it there. I was happy to be going home becuase it was a tough business trip, but I also cried because of the beauty there.
They are also very concerned about the environment there, ae litter/green/fresh air.

Chalu64

Post Number: 258
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and...

Yes the money is a dollar system. Simple to figure out. I'm sure our dollar is not great over there,but there's some deals on Merino wool items. And tell your friend to pick you up a jade necklace.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, it sounds almost too perfect, huh?

Is Queenstown touristy like Mackinac Island-type touristy? That's ok, but I don't think he would like the Sandals-type resorts. I will tell him to go to Flickr.

As the days pass, if you think of anything else to pass on to me I would love any little bits of info!

Can I cut and paste your post to an e-mail? Not using your Username, of course.

Chalu64

Post Number: 260
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course you can. Queenstown was more like a little Swiss town...surrounded by mountains. Lots of bungee jumping and stuff there. Jet boats and the likes.
Let me know if he has anymore questions.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, thank you.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at a youth hostel years ago and heard from a fellow traveller about an underground tubing trip. Its in some mountain, an underground cave/river where you can go tube down through it. He made it sound amazing and have always thought that if I went to New Z thats what Id be lookin to check out.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, from your posts you remind me of my friend. I'm going to send your post to him. Thanks!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*bump*

Just in case someone new looks here.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1675
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lonely Planet travel books are my favorite if I cant get firsthand advice.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.