Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Favorite Dramas, TV or movie. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1572
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm right now watching the second disc of the fourth season of The Wire. I cannot get enough of this series. Please no spoilers.

Someone mentioned on another thread earlier how much in common Detroit has with this series. On the show Ive seen instance after instance that reminded me of the D. and then came the mayoral BJ. Then I was hooked on the show because I figured some Wire screenwriter must be reading the Free Press. Well actually its just because its a great story.

What a show. BRAVO.

I gotta go now and finish disc 2 of season 4.

Omar is just killin me. I cant wait to see what he has in store for us. Bubbs also, the Buddah of the ghetto. And McNulty only doing his best work when he has the work hes supposed to be doing is genius.

Anything on the Wire Id love to hear about, but please dont spoil anything for me.

Also looking forward to getting The Shield on disc. Also thought that was a great show.

Megathread for the arts??

Anyone,,, anyone?

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For drama, with nice comedic touches, it's hard to top what we've been watching on local news for the last several months.

Detroit could use an Omar, though....(we already have plenty of Bubs)

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 4592
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I saw the topic, my first thought was The Wire. Followed by Mad Men, followed by we watched West Wing over and over.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The West Wing was the greatest television show of all-time. No doubt about it.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10276
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoy Rescue Me. You never know what is going to happen in each episode. Some of funny while others are horrific.

Django

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im going to try and make a point of watching Mad Men. Ive heard a lot of good things.

Right now Im dyin to know if Omar gets out of jail. And what about that ring Marlo took of O face or O somebody or other who owns the corner party store. The ring was given to Marlo as payment but eventually wound up on that thief cops hand. Also wonder where that cops character is heading.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The West Wing is our family's all-time favorite TV show.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3186
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Doctor Who, at least the last 4 seasons. It's so campy and the aliens and special effects are so bad that it's just total entertainment. I also love David Tenant, the latest incarnation of the Doctor.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, JCole--I'm a big Dr. Who Fan, too. I favour the Tom Baker years the best with the Daleks, Cybermen and The Master(Anthony Ainsley)

I like the retro sitcoms, Britcoms and gameshows the best. Id say from the late 50's to the 80's are best for TV. I enjoy Dancing With The Stars, Americas Got Talent, Sex And The City, Americas Funniest Home Videos, Most Outrageous Moments, Just For Laughs, Extreme Makeover Home Edition, Queer As Folk, The L Word, The Man Show, the new Bionic Woman, the new Knight Rider, Days Of Our Lives.

I like Turner Classic Movies and Americas Movie Classics.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Totally forgot: WWE RAW, ECW, Smackdown and TNA.

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am an absolute LAW AND ORDER junkie. I miss Fred Thompson,and Jerry Orbach, may he rest in peace.

Django

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watch a lot of L&O also although I cant stand dinofrio <sp. Any episodes witout him I love. I miss NYPD Blue although I think Ive seen every one.

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 302
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mad Men" on AMC is very good, especially when you consider their relatively low budget. No surprise that its creator was a producer on "The Sopranos."

This season, the show's second, they've cut back a bit on the actors' constant smoking. OK, we get it, it's 1962 and even pregnant women smoked. But the puffing was getting a little distracting.

If you have On Demand, you can watch the entire first season and get caught up. That's what's fun about discovering a show a year or two after it debuts. You can have a marathon session or two and enjoy storylines and characters unfold in a weekend whereby others had to wait week-to-week to see what happened.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 842
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite drama (movie): Fargo. There's some funny parts in it too. Feeding a leg in the wood chipper was classic!

TV: I love Law & Order, L & O SVU, but I really don't care for L & O Criminal Intent.

Django

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wash_man.

I cant keep all the L&O shows straight,as there's so many of them. All I know is that Dinofrios
character is just too over the top. Hes too smart, which makes him unbelievable. I like the guy as an actor but not on that show.

As soon as Im done Netflixing The Wire, Ill probably be getting the Sopranos. Unless Mad Men convinces me otherwise. I cant say enough good things about movies by mail like Netflix provides.

Omar, Omar, Omar, I cant wait to see what hes got next.

I almost agree SpiritofDetroit, West Wing was great. Im looking forward to seeing the episodes I missed. Good call on that show.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 305
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Wire was the best series, ever. I love Omar. I loved Stringer, too.

That first scene of the series with McNulty and the crap game player discussing the recently deceased "Snot Boogie" was classic.

The discussions in the "Pit" between D'Angelo, Poot, and Wallace were my faves.

Fourth season, Django? I'm not trying to spoil anything, but I'm not quite sure which season Omar went out for Honey Nut Cheerios.

All characters in that show were perfect.

Hubby and I were amazed the first time we heard McNulty speak with an English accent.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2675
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django - Vincent D'Onofrio's character is so cool IMO. The way he gets in the suspect's face and drills them. He looks at them with that sideways stare of his. Me and Mr. Eriedearie call him "the sideways guy." :-)

And my favs are all of the Law & Orders and CSIs.

Django

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodge. Honey nut Cheerios, Im crackin up thinking about Omar in line for breakfast at county and he aks "you think they have honeynut cherrios" CLASSIC. And him goin out for the honeynuts in his gayass robe and stopping on the way back home to light a Newport, and a bag of dope drops next to him. I about lost it.

OMARS COMMIN.

What a character. Whoever did that show had some good research goin on.

Do tell.

Dearie, Vincents character is good, It just drives me nuts that hes never wrong it seems. He has no demons, he just seems to be supercop. I cant relate with him.

I do remember one episode where he was refered to as the man with the broken neck, because of the way he gets in their face sideways and tilts his head. I love the actor, dont get me wrong, he just seems to know waayyyy to much as his character.

I miss Jerry Orbach or Orback. He was the man. I lost a lot of interest when Ice T came to the show.

Has anyone checked out The Cleaner? I only saw a half a show. Im not sure what to think. The whole premise seems to be a bit out there, a little unbeliveable.

Anyone,,, anyone?

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2678
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss Jerry Orbach too. We get the reruns of that show on some station here in the week day afternoons.

Now see, I like Ice T as well. I must be easily entertained! LOL Different strokes for different folks!

I guess most of you guys have HBO. We don't have that in Canada. Canadian programming or some ridiculous FCC law or something prohibits us from getting those channels - unless one has an illegal set up. That is just to risky for us old folks! So most of us here are out of the loop on The Wire and all those other shows. Hell, didn't get to see any of the Sopranos on TV till just recently.

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never have watched The Cleaner but will give it a try.
Always loved all that Masterpiece period stuff so Show Times " The Tudors ", was pretty decent. Gory but probably more true to the era than other films. Not to crazy about Johnathan Rys Meyers for Henry V111, though but other cast members like Sam Neil( Woolsley ) were great.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 308
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, what are your thoughts on "Snoop"? I found her to be one of the most chilling characters on any series. Of course, the conversation in the super hardware store about the nail gun was classic.

Another of my favorite scenes: Herk moving a desk through the doorway. The guys attempt to help him... OMG, I laugh so hard every time I think of this scene.

Also the one-word Bunk and McNulty murder investigation scene.

Perhaps we should start a Wire thread for those of us who miss it.

Django

Post Number: 1589
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodge, Im lmao thinkin about the murder investigation scene. I was lust thinkin about that yesterday.

I wasnt sure if snoop was a chick right away, I had to see her name on the wanted board. Shes one cold bitch. Great actor, I hope she goes places. Chilling def.

Wormbookie
Username: Wormbookie

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get really upset when other people talk about "The Wire". I like to think of myself as the only human being capable of understanding its complex beauty and worthy to see it. But I am glad that it stayed on for five seasons so I guess I am kind of appreciative of others enjoying it.

As for "The Cleaner", I expected a gritty, down-in-the-trenches look at substance abuse. I was pretty disappointed at the glossiness of it. Not realistic to me.

I know it's technically not a drama, but a reality show, but "The First 48" is interesting.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2538
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Benjamin Bratt is a stiff, and the show is cheesily written.
In my opinion.

Django

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to say that the 1/2 hour of the Cleaner I saw was not very good. I was hoping I missed something. I dont mind Ben Bratt though, hes done a good job in the past as far as Im concerned. We all get stinker jobs now and again.

Wormbookie, why do you feel like your the only person that could understand The Wire? Your statement is pretty damn bold. Whats your story that makes you an insider? Im truly curious, and not trying to be a dick. What side of the law do you relate with?

Wormbookie
Username: Wormbookie

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a law-abiding civilian, non-court officer, non-reporter. I just romanced the idea that "The Wire" was the excellent show it was for my eyes only. I don't actually think I'm the only person that can understand it. It's just that when others discuss it so glowingly, I almost feel like the show cheated on me. It was my Sunday night lover for five seasons and now it's gone. It is a bit comforting, though, I am not the only one that feels a void.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1943
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Battlestar Galactica

Django

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imm sorry Worm, I thought you were serious, as if you had some insight most dont.

I cant wait for the next disc in the mail from Netflix on Tuesday. Il be bummed when Ive watched them all. But then Ill be sending for The Corner.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2480
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

24, I miss that show. It is beyond a doubt the shit. The Wire too, along with the Shield and Battlestar Galactica.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 311
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I think of Snoop, I am reminded of something one of the psychologists said back in the eighties. The offspring of cocaine-addicted mothers would most likely exhibit sociopathic tendencies. Snoop is a sociopath. I didn't know her sex either. In her earliest scenes, my husband and I would look at each other and wonder about her sex.

Darn it, I'm starting a "Wire" thread. I miss my show.

Wormbookie, your thoughts are right-on. I've always felt part of a secret club knowing about The Wire. Only a few knew of the series.

Django

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to Breaking Bad. I just happened to come across it on channel 27 AMC right now and am watching it. That was a great show. Anyone know if theres going to be more?

It would be a shame if it didnt continue.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6075
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This may not be my most favorite but it's right up there because it's a full plate. It contains much to think about.

Zardoz

Zardoz
Wiki

NSFW, nudity and violence. Note beforehand that parts 8 and 9 are missing:
I'd appreciate it if anyone could identify the composer of the final dirge in part 10. I once knew that but have since forgotten.

(Message edited by Jimaz on August 11, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.