Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » DYes Forumer passes « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2967
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many of you probably encountered Bobj on your daily visits to the Forum. I'm sorry to report that he has passed on.

I knew Bobj as a fellow member of Preservation Wayne. He helped to promote the PW walking tours and volunteered as a tour guide on both the Downtown Detroit and Cultural Center tours. He also gave tours of the city to friends and others. He was a Detroit Tigers season ticket holder, and was employed by Consumers Energy in the Customer Service sector.

He loved the city and he loved people! He will surely be missed!

Here's the death notice that appeared in today's Detroit newspapers:

JOCIS, ROBERT J.
Age 49. August 2, 2008. Loving husband and friend of Martha. Father of Jeff Ziarko and step-father of D.J. Schurr. Brother of Madeline Werner, Christine Hart, and Frank Jocis. Uncle to many nieces and nephews and dear friend to many. Visitation Tuesday 1-9 p.m. at Chas. Verheyden Funeral Home, 16300 Mack, Grosse Pointe. Funeral Wednesday 1:00 p.m. at Grace Community Church, 21001 Moross, Detroit. Memorial contributions may be made to the American Diabetes Association and Preservation Wayne. Light a candle and share a memory at www.verheyden.org.

Say a prayer and keep his family in your thoughts!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3496
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just too darn young. In my thoughts tonight. Sounds like a victim of that danged diabetes that my wife suffers from. Sigh.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4367
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no! I had him as a tour guide 2 times. He seemed like a nice guy. Condolences to his friends and family.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5177
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so sorry. Godspeed, Bobj.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2575
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5871
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met him once, he was mad cool. He also went by Bobzilla right?

Kathleen

Post Number: 2968
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, no....Bobj and Bobzilla are two different guys.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5872
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still think this the one I met....he was cool...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7179
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got back from a Preservation Wayne Theatre Tour meeting where I found out about Bob's passing.

Bob was a great guy! He along with his wife Martha were a pair of the walking tour guides for the Detroit Historic Theatre Tours which are scheduled for this weekend. They had planned on doing their tour of duty.

Ironically Bobj was the first DetroitYES forumer I had ever met in person.

Oddly enough, the Obituary photos do Bob (who was a good looking guy) no justice.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 207
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace. Amen.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im so sorry for his family. Much to young to go.

Anyone have a link to his obit. I couldnt find it in the Freep. Im curious what he looked like in case I knew him.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, a little farther up the post is a link to the Verheyden website. His pic is posted.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 852
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like heaven got a great new tour guide.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2969
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django: Try this link to Bob's obituary on the funeral home website: http://www.verheyden.org/obits /obituaries.php/obitID/368884

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 294
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Condolences to his family.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 838
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Godspeed, BobJ. Far too young, IMO.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all, I found his pic. on Kaths link.

From the pic. I dont believe I knew him, in person anyway.

Im so sorry for everyone who knew him.

Bobj

Rock on Bob.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2970
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Django, for importing Bobj's photo to this thread.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11828
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After seeing his picture, I too had met Bob somewhere along the way.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 418
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear about the loss, I agree Downriviera.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My condolences to his family

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 997
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very sorry to hear about the loss. Never met the guy, but very much enjoyed interacting with him on the forum. I even read his book! :-)

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 4590
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know! He just posted the house for sale in June. I did not know him but enjoyed what he posted. It is hard to believe that he is gone.

Bless your family.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 5237
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I very much enjoyed chatting with him on Dyes and his contributions were great. Also a knowledgeable Tigers fan and participant in that forum. This is a rough week. RIP Bobj.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 897
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I missed this thread, being on the connections page, but I am saddened to hear of his passing, particularly at such a young age. He led my group on last year's PW theatre tour. Great guy, very friendly and knowledgeable, and made the tour quite an enjoyable experience. My deepest sympathies go out to his wife and family.

Rest in peace, Bob.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.