Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Ford/GM/Chrysler ??? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in the market for a new vehicle, I would like to purchase a domestic...but here-in lies the question...

Like most Metro-Detroiters...I have family members in each of the big three...therefore I am afforded the grace of each companies employee discounts. Say I wanted to purchase a Saturn...or a Mazda...do the discount plans such as the A-Plan apply to Mazda in the case of Ford?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3018
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any brand owned by GM, Ford, or Chrysler is included in the employee discount plan. :-)

D_mcc

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet, thank you very much DR

Looks like I might be getting a new vehicle this weekend then!

Marlonjb2
Username: Marlonjb2

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats on your new vehicle. :-)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3022
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear D_mcc.

I hope you enjoy your new American vehicle and thank you for helping out an American car company. :-)

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And remember, you can negotiate your price even under one of the employe buying plans. I screwed myself along those lines many years with, of all things, a Plymouth Sundance.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1876
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mazda is 33% owned by Ford. So, not quite the economic boost if you buy one.

How about one that is made here, engineered here and profits go here?

Mustang, Escape, Focus, etc.

Not Mazda, Fusion, Astra, etc.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it all depends on who gives me the best deal honestly.

Its funny...it was your NOT categories that I was leaning towards...my top three actually...Mazda 3, Astra, Fusion...

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Richard. I went to several dealerships searching for the best deal. Had a chance with the employee/family plan in 2001 and bartered a much better price with not even mentioning the employee plan. And don't forget, you can ask to "throw this in or that in". I'm sure any dealership would be willing to due to sales being down.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought about going to Saturn Dealer with a GM stock report...I guess I can do the same thing with Ford now after their last multi-billion dollar loss

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7798
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Malibu is receiving huge acclaims. There must be something good going on there.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 911
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

My brother -the Ford engineer in Dearborn who worked late nights on the design of the Mazda version of the Edge- would dispute that.

Having said that, I'm still a hometown boy and my kneee-jerk preference is for hometown brands (Taurus X is in the driveway - made in Illinois).

(Message edited by craig on July 25, 2008)

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

at 33.9% ford owns a controlling stake in mazda. ford employees do receive a discount on mazda cars, however it's the "x-plan" instead of the full "a-plan" pricing. while the 3 has been getting rave reviews from almost everyone in the field, it is made in hofu japan (coincidentally monroe, MI sister city).

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7799
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cobalt is made in Lordstown, OH. The Malibu is made in both Kansas, and in Orion TWP, Michigan. The Focus is built in Wayne.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7800
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget you can look at SAABs as well, under your GM plan.

Richard_bak

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Uncle Wally's got a nice Studebaker in the garage. I'm just saying, if you really want to buy American-made....

D_mcc

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What year's the Stude???

JL...don't tempt me on the Saab....I would die for a 9-3...

I wouldn't mind an Astra...but I am leaning towards the Mazda 3, 5-dr.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7801
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I have a Focus 3-door, and I can tell you it is amazing what you can fit in those little hatchbacks. I bring lumber home in that thing, often with the hatch completely closed.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 276
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc, I know this is a nifty bit of thread-jacking, but I thought you’d like to know your grandfather’s namesake is currently passing Belle Isle, on her way to the OPG power plant in Nanticoke, ON with coal from SMET in Superior, WI.

You can see her on the Dossin Cam. :-)
http://www.boatnerd.com/dossin /

D_mcc

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's huge...man

But I think my best deal is on a Mazda 3...even though I do plan on driving a Focus and an Astra...

Maybe even a cobalt

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 277
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it wouldn’t be very cost effective to take a boat – too many crew to run it, horrible on gas, & it doesn’t run on land. (Sorry. Couldn’t resist.)

But seriously, have you considered the Pontiac Vibe or a Toyota Corolla? Both are made at the NUMMI plant in California by UAW workers (they’re UAW-approved, so to speak). Although, I don’t know if the Corolla is included in the discount plan.

If you look at the Vibe, I’d recommend trying to find a leftover ’08. They restyled it for the ’09 model year, & word has it the base engine is wimpy, to be kind. I have an ’04 base Vibe with a stick, & I’ve been getting 38 mpg lately. I can stow a whack of stuff in it. Overall, I love it.

Good luck in your search.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the advice...I will probably make a purchase this weekend...You will all be the first to know...well...other than me and the dealership

East_detroit

Post Number: 1877
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc says, "Well, it all depends on who gives me the best deal honestly. Its funny...it was your NOT categories that I was leaning towards...my top three actually...Mazda 3, Astra, Fusion..."

And ironically has another post entitled: "Looking for help in the work dept."

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2473
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"JL...don't tempt me on the Saab....I would die for a 9-3..."

9-3's can be had cheaply, whats your price range?

D_mcc

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is that Ironic ED???

I never said I was unemployed...I have a very good job, I am just looking for something in Detroit instead of my current local.

Mayor...not cheap enough I think...22-23 are my ceiling

East_detroit

Post Number: 1879
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can get a fully loaded Focus SES for way less than 22-23 with A-Plan. More like 19. Thats with SYNC (phone and ipod and 911, and more coming), with moonroof, with 35MPG, with great performance, with leather, heated seats, heated mirrors, etc etc etc.

Ironic not just in the sense that your job market is affected (don't kid yourself, it is), but also in the way that you state its all about you and then at the same time go to the community well for job leads.

Sadly, Detroitrise thought you were going for GM/Ford/Chrysler to support community (and your family members living) when in actuality it appears to be just about the discounts.

Apologies if I misinterpreted your comments, but it appears this way.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1080
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not necessarily JUST for me, I understand that I can get better deals with the discounts, but that doesn't make or break a deal for me...I went to 6-7 different dealerships today, and worked up leases on about 5 cars...

Fusions, Foci, G6, Malibu, G5, and a Mazda 3...

I asked people for help for a job, because I know there are professionals here with a similar mindset...I guess I misunderstood the term 'community' as it applied to this forum, I will be sure to not do it again.

Jita1
Username: Jita1

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Squash all that.

D_mcc, what kind of car did you end up getting?

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 483
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mustang, Escape, Focus, etc.

Not Mazda, Fusion, Astra, etc.

The Mazda 6 is built along with the Mustang in Flat Rock, MI.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Richard_bak

Post Number: 429
Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Studebaker

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.