Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Paging Gannon « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, I was wondering if you could recommend a few options for upconverting DVD players? I'm looking to get one soon, but don't want to buy crap. Please help! :-)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13564
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The basic rule is anything UNDER about $300 retail is absolute crap that you'll have to throw out and replace in a couple years...and they are MOSTLY that.

Some view the economics and say what the hey...but I'm not in that camp...although a string of shitty Denons in the past few years is affecting that conclusion.

Let me check to see if there are any stellar choices out there...I DO have one of the inexpensive Samsungs here that I believe upconverts, I bought if exactly FOR a lifetime experiment...but find myself playing my better units because of the image improvement and other feature-set...so it's gotten NO use in two years.

I'll check it out and let you know.

From my gut, I'd lean towards the Sonys/Samsungs/Denons of the world, staying away from the non-recognizable names except that one that begins with O whose identity escapes me before this second cup of espresso hits.

I'm also going to check with a few service centers to see what they've found, although if they see a large number of a best-seller...it may percentage-wise still be a better player than one that didn't sell much but all broke, if you get what I'm saying.

Gimme a minute...

Islandman

Post Number: 1744
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, thanks for confirming my choice. The brand is Oppo. I was going to go with the OPPO DV-980H model.

Any experience with this one? From my novice research, it seems to get great reviews (their whole line does).

Gannon

Post Number: 13573
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Oppo unit has the feature set, but in operation it has some truly funky quirks.

At least the first two generation units did...but this one is absolutely a disposable unit when it breaks, and you might be the assumed 'quality control' on our shore...so buy it from a dealer with a full RETURN policy, you don't want a new purchase tied up in the service loop for six months.

Plus, I HATE their remote controls...if they haven't improved them, it is worth it to buy the Sony with buttons sized and spaced for adults with poor reading vision.

Denon has always been great with ergonomics, too.

These purchases are NOT all about performance and features, those other two will KILL your enjoyment during regular usage, something internet enthusiast amateur reviewers will usually overlook...and even professional ones ignore often!

Cheers

Islandman

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gannon!

So, out of the Denon and Sony units, any favorites?

Gannon

Post Number: 13574
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

another minute...heh

Gannon

Post Number: 13580
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can I assume you're using the HDMI connection?

Or do you need Component video?

One of my basic requirements would be that the player do BOTH, it seems the trend is to eliminate the upscaled component output...Hollywood doesn't want us to have a high-res output that 'might' be recordable on other media.

But there are handshake problems between some gear with HDMI, and at least in the past if you plugged any 1.1 HDMI stuff in the path the whole system had to operate at the older protocol. Regardless, it is GOOD to have that high-res component output as an option, should something screw up...I'm a huge fan of trying to stay one step ahead of Murphy.

He's a shit with technology.

Last I checked, we were at 1.3, but I wouldn't be surprised that it has progressed from there...I gave up keeping up with all the silly technological changes, we're suffering the same upgrade fever and firmware-chasing that the computer geeks have become accustomed to, which means normal people will not be able to keep up, ever!

Islandman

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool, HDMI 1.3 it is.

I am buying all new components, so I'll make sure to check for this.

Thanks man.

(Message edited by Islandman on July 23, 2008)

Gannon

Post Number: 13585
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they are new, it is NOT an issue.

It was a big deal three years ago, during the transition.

I'm reading the Secret of Home Theater review of the Oppo 983 now...searching for a picture of their damn remote control.

I used to know a few of the guys at Secrets, dunno if they are still with the e-mag, but they set a precedent that turned the industry on their heads with regards to DVD reviewing a few years back...they did the stuff MY publisher kept saying NO to, one of the reasons I'm not listening to any publishers any longer!

Islandman

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice!

Off to do some online shopping!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.