Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » FAVORITE concert you attended, and most coveted « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1400
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maof2 inspired me to ask, what was your favorite concert, and which is your most coveted?

Fav. Butthole Surfers St Andrews Hall in like 89'

Most coveted. either Red Hot Chili's at Nectarine Ballroom in Ann Arbor, twice, or the White Stripes at The Gold Dollar. The 100 or so shows of the Dead have a special effect award in my book. I probably should have been doing something else instead of following the Dead around for those years, that I admit.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 408
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YOU RULE!
my best was definitely Red Hot Chili Peppers, Queens of the Stoneage, and Mars Volta @ Van Andel Arena. RHCP with STP and someone else @ Pine Knob wasn't too shabby either

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 170
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Flaming Lips. Bonnaroo 2007. Oh god it was amazing.

Alley

Post Number: 409
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that where Wayne Coyne was in the giant hamster ball in the audience?

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 729
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes at Cobo '74 on a lark, a dude and his wife had to pass on the concert, my friend and I bought the main floor tickets from them. The tickets had seat numbers with AAA printed on them.

When we got there, we couldn't find our seats. We asked an usher where our seats were and he told us that they were taken up by some of the band's special lighting and stage operating equipment, but he said that he would find us some other place to sit.

To our surprise, he led us to seats in the front row!!

Most coveted was main floor to see Pink Floyd in '87, at the Palace. I had wanted badly to see the band when Roger Waters was still a member in '80 for their Wall tour, but unfortunately they only performed it in NYC and LA, and then broke up shortly afterwards. As my girlfriend at I drove around the park lot, there was row, after row, after row, of semi trailers parked in one part of the lot. My girlfriend then asked me what they were for. I said to her, OMG!! They must be used to contain the props for their stage show!!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Favorite: Black Flag at the Starwood in 1980

Most coveted: The Stooges at Helen DeRoy Auditorium

Django

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alley, wheres VanAndel Arena?

I saw the Buttholes with STP at the Greek in Berkley years ago. After the show I ate some fungus with an old Hells Angel then watched as President Clintons motorcade drive right by our bar in SF. It was a memorable day to say the least. Ive seen the Surfers a few times but never liked seeing them outside in a daytime show. You really need that controlled atmosphere to enjoy their shows. I looked online the other day and the Surfers are doing a short tour right now, mainly in Europe but they are playing NYC July 29th I believe. Anyone want to go?

I saw the Peppers at the Nectarine with Hillel Slovek before he ODd, What a show. I told a friend that nite that someday these guys would be playin the Palace. Sure enough, I saw them at the Palace years later but it was a real disappointment because I wasn't in the first 200 rows. LOL.

Django

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East Detroit, Where was the Starwood, I saw em in like 87 at the Greystone. Was Rollins with them yet. Wasnt Keith Morris (Circle Jerks)with them for a minute? I cant remember the other guy who fronted for them.

Venues seem to have such an effect on how a show effects ppl. Of course, the smaller the better.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buttholes? Guess I'm outta the loop on that one!

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Around 1974 at Cleveland Stadium. Santana, C,S,N&Y, The Band. Kind of cool. We sat next to the Methadone tent on the field. Steady line of stoners being brought in that smoked some grass laced with acid. Also, ELO, Climax Blues Band and Jesse Colin Young at the Michigan Palace in early 70's.

(Message edited by servite76 on July 19, 2008)

(Message edited by servite76 on July 19, 2008)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7677
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As ridiculous as it sounds, I'd say my favorite concert was Gwar at the State Theater. The State had covered EVERYTHING in plastic. Don't think it helped. They were NEVER invited back, and have played at Harpo's whenever in Detroit ever since.

Django

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ma, Butthole Surfers. There outt Austin. Famous on the punk rock scene since the mid 80s.

Maof2

Post Number: 92
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D - No wonder, never was into the punk scene.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1852
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, the Starwood was/is in West Hollywood, California.

Henry was not in until 1981, so in 1980 others were participating, including hitchhiking idiots from Michigan, hence, it was my favorite.

Keith Morris, Chavo Pederast / Ron Reyes, Dez Cadena, 1980 multiple short timers (yay), Henry...

Last show ever was at the Greystone in June 1986. If you saw someone in 1987 there it would have been Henry Garfield AKA David Lee Roth, Jr.

Alley

Post Number: 411
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django--Van Andel Arena is in Grand Rapids, and I was at that Palace show too

Django

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must have been 86 then if thats true. It was definitely Rollins. Are you saying there was life for Black Flag after Rollins. I dont remember that.Or are you saying the son of David Lee Roth played at the graystone???

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 157
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two concerts come to mind....Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young at the Chicago United (the old ice arena...I think that was it's name) in the summer of 1974 and Simon and Garfunkle at the Palace a couple of years ago. I can die happy!
I would have liked to have seen the "Mamas and the Papas" when they were in their prime, but that's a whole other question!

Maof2

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Favorite AND most coveted, Rolling Stones at Cobo, 1975. My older sister's boyfried bought tickets and took all of us. I was only 16 and thought it was the coolest thing. Actually, it was! That's the concert that had the BIG inflatable penis. Anyone remember??

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 905
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray Davies, solo, in Ann Arbor. Got a single ticket for the first row and then a handshake from the man at show's end. Had to wake up the family once I got home to tell them about that!

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to bend the rule and list two, each was highly significant: Duke Ellington Orchestra at a dance at the Light Guard Armory in 1974, not long before Duke passed. Because it was a dance, I could stand right next to the band and soak up the sounds. I got to spend time with Mercer, Russell Procope, Harry Carney, Harold Ashby, and, after I got enough nerve to approach him, Cootie Williams, who looked like a really tough customer but was friendly and willing to talk about jazz history with me. I was in orbit for a week after that concert.
Two, Sun Ra at the Grande Ballroom either late 67 or early 68. I was transfixed and transformed by the power of Ra's music, especially John Gilmore's tenor outings and Sunny's keyboard artistry - sounds from Saturn, indeed. A part of me is still traveling the spaceways with Ra...

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1733
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a tie for me between:
Jimi Hendrix at the Masonic Temple, Feb 23, 1968.

Concert to celebrate the grand opening of the Rock & Roll hall of Fame, 1995 at the old Cleveland Stadium - 7 hours featuring Bruce Springsteen, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Cheryl Crow, Jon Bon Jovi, Johnny Cash, Al Green, John Mellenkamp, Aretha Franklin, Heart, Kinks, George Clinton and Funkadelic, Bob Dylan, Allman Bros, James Brown, Booker T. & the MGs as house band, and more and more.

I'll join Jimg with a similar reminiscence - seeing Cab Calloway at DSOH 2-3 years before he died.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, I didn't make the Hendrix show, a regret for sure. But I did catch the Cab...

East_detroit

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Must have been 86 then if thats true. It was definitely Rollins. Are you saying there was life for Black Flag after Rollins. I dont remember that.Or are you saying the son of David Lee Roth played at the graystone???

Django, just a kinda inside joke that Henry thought he was David Lee Roth.

Hilariously, he later helped DLR write his book.

Django

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gotcha, thanks, I was wondering what the hell you were talkin about, LOL.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, sorry, that was pretty esoteric.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6991
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leonard Bernstein conducting the New York Philharmonic, 1959, at Masonic Temple, packed to the rafters, SRO.

jjaba, .

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2268
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edgar Winter and band at a private party in Rochester Hills about 1971. A truck loaded with cases of Boones Farm and Thunderbird made an appearance and with other forms of intoxicants, made for a great evening.

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 425
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donna Summer at Pine Knob. I had an awesome date and got tickets just 2-3 days before the concert. I didn't even look at the seating, I was just so excited to be able to go to the concert with her! We got to the concert and asked the usher where our seats were, and he pointed down by the stage. Sure enough - they were front row! My date accused me of staging the front row seats thing. Anyway, it was a great concert even though I wasn't much for disco back in the disco sux daze.

Richard_bak
Username: Richard_bak

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1974, when I was in the service, I saw Cat Stevens at the Waikiki Bowl in Hawaii. He was still a couple years from walking away from the pop-music grind and adopting the name Yusuf Islam, but I remember him talking earnestly about Islam and his spiritual awakening between sets. The crowd thought it kind of strange, but I thought it was of a piece with his introspective songwriting. Even better, I had gotten seats just the day before and they were front and center, six rows from the stage. One of the great things about being stationed at Kaneohe was that you could cop great tix to local concerts all the time because tourists--who at any given time probably outnumbered local citizens and servicemen--never bought tix in advance (they were only on the island for a few days) so sellouts depended on walk-up sales right up to the start of the show.

Anyway, what a memorable night for this jarhead....an intimate outdoor venue, a warm night, fragrant breezes, great music, a bit of a buzz on. Only thing was, my girlfriend was back in Detroit. Can't have everything.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1734
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimg, we had season tickets to the jazz series at DSOH from 1989-1999. We saw more great performers than I can name.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6995
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another great memory was Ray Charles at the
Music Hall in the 1970s, when I took two small sons to see Ray and the Rayettes.

jjaba.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Richard_bak: I totally envy you. I am too young to have ever been able to have seen Cat Stevens when he was still Cat Stevens and not Yusuf Islam. I absolutely love his music and find it to be extremely peaceful and inspiring.
Thanks for sharing your concert moment!

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2285
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most Coveted: Ray Brown at the Dakota in St. Paul. He died just a year later. Sat just 20 feet or so from the stage. He had some cats with him that stole the show.

Favorite Show: Roy Hargrove at the Dakota. The small club made for a great show and atmosphere (something you don't get in Detroit when folks like Hargrove come to Orchestra Hall or some of the other big concert venues). The set was smoking and went on and on, nearly 3 hours worth. After an hour break the band reassembled and went into the wee hours of the night.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 186
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peter Gabriel at Pine Knob. 1983.

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clifton Chenier at Antone's each and every time I saw him. :-)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9442
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Despite the lousy acoustics, two of the most memorable concerts I went to were at Ford Auditorium in the 70s. But, not because of the main acts, but because of the relatively unknown, at the time, opening bands that blew me away.

Rare Earth opened for Blood, Sweat and Tears.

Skywalk opened for Spyro Gyra.

I came away a huge fan of those "unknowns."

While I was still on staff at the Fox Theater, none of our ushers wanted to work the pit when the Bare Naked Ladies made their first appearance there, so I grudgingly (yeah right!) volunteered for all of the shows.

I even rejected taking my break, so I wouldn't miss anything.

I still find it funny, this middle-aged white guy was the only one that was familiar with anyone close to the "alternative music" that played there so I always worked the pit for those groups.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nine Inch Nails and A Perfect Circle at The Palace.

Scout
Username: Scout

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone else having trouble answering this one?

I've seen many great shows - and many of them great in different ways - to pick one. Beck, Harry Belafonte, Beastie Boys, Gogol Bordello, Hoodoogurus, REM...many of them perfect, inspiring, awesome, and some of them fitting a moment in my life (some of which are hazy). This question has had me scratching my head since I saw it and I'm not sure I can pick.

As to coveted, Sgt. Pepper-era Beatles.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 826
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with ya Scout. I've seen a great many shows over the years, can't possibly pick just one. If someone starts a thread of top 50 favorite concerts maybe I'll chime in.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2412
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This question has had me scratching my head since I saw it and I'm not sure I can pick."

Scout & DR - Ditto! :-)

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 382
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pink Floyd.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 871
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rolling Stones at Ford Field in 03. Sars concert in Toronto had lots of great acts. Stones headlined. Rush; Isleys;Guess Who with Randy Bachman;AC/DC.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Ol 6VB7B0OY

Not THAT exact show...but dear lord do I want to go again...

*edit*

don't watch if you are epileptic! lol

(Message edited by D_mcc on July 23, 2008)

Wilkes36
Username: Wilkes36

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stevie Wonder at Masonic Temple 1984
He played for over three hours
I paid for a seat but did not use it

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 4:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Favorite concert of all time?

Tied:
Pink Floyd @ The Palace of Auburn Hills, 1988
Underworld @ The Homelands Festival, Winchester, UK, 1999

Most crowded? (and also a fave)
Love Parade @ The Tiergarten, Berlin, Germany, 2000
Biggest techno party in the world.
Police estimates were between 1.5 and 2 million people
[This was also the exact location where Obama gave his speech yesterday.]

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10234
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh SARS benefit was a blast! Hot as fuck but still a great time!

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1841
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Commodores and Richard Pryor at Pine Knob back
in the late 70's / early 80's....

Alley

Post Number: 470
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ooh that's a good one!

Django

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alley, I got to see STP with the Surfers at the Greek in Berkley, It was before I really knew who they were but Ive got a lotta love for them now ,Scott Weiland especially. That man has so much fucking talent.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 392
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Midnight Ramble, Saturday night of Memorial Day Weekend 2006, Levon Helm's Barn in Woodstock, N.Y.
The headliner was celebrating a birthday (65?) that evening, and all 200 of us or so had a wonderful time!

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 318
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob Dylan VanAndel Arena Grand Rapids 2001 shortly after 9/11. I had tickets to see him at Cobo but the day before he was playing in Grand Rapids. I called up my girlfriend at the time and told here I was blowing off work and driving to Grand Rapids to see Bob. She said count me in. It was one of those great general admission shows we walked in she grabbed my hand and "excused" ourselves to the front of the stage. I've seen Bob at least 15 times and that was the best. The man was on fire. It was so intense.

Jjaba

Post Number: 7068
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Norwalk, jjaba was born May 24, 1941, same as Bob Dylan. Had never ever seen him until one night in Idaho, a few years back. He played Nampa, Idaho.

Had nice seats and was amazed at so many younger fans there. 3 hours later, including, "Blowing in the Wind", jjaba understood not one fucking word out of that man's mouth.

jjaba, concert memories.

Django

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, I saw Dylan in AA in the early 90s. I only recogonized one song he played, and Im a fan.

Optima
Username: Optima

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too many to pick but one stands out: Bowie on the Serious Moonlight Tour. Just days after he kicked Stevie Ray Vaughan off the tour, SRV followed him to each city and did a gig afterward (likely to gain exposure as he was a virtual unknown at that time). We caught him at St. Andrews Hall after the Bowie show that night and I was leaning on the left part of the stage. He was playing nothing but Jimi that night and and at one point stuck his guitar down for me to strum...surreal...

We had riser seats for both Bowie shows that weekend at the Joe which were both superb but SRV stole the entire weekend...

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2525
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2008 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, I have read that Dylan's crew sometimes fumbles the ball when it comes to setting him up with the right mic for the situation.
Of course, the fact that he habitually mumbles and slurs over his words probably has a lot to do with it, too.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.