Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Wacked Out Water Bill - Ferndale « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sid
Username: Sid

Post Number: 497
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kids-

My former landlord/homeowner in Ferndale just received a 2400 quarterly water bill. All water bills prior to this one were paid, averaging 60 a quarter.

Apparently he contacted the city and they said, "it happens once in a while".

Has this ever happened to anyone? If that much water was running, wouldn't it have to go somewhere noticable?

Any thoughts on what happened or what you would do with that bill?

Thanks for your input.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9424
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fight it!

It happened here as well. Have them check both indoor and outdoor readings and meters.

Force them to check the records and make sure the reading device and the meter were in synch at the time of installation.

Good luck with that, stay on them and at the very least they will offer you a settlement to get you off their backs.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds 'bout right to me. We pay an average of 300.00 a Q in Ferndale.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3418
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez. And out here in water starved Las Vegas our monthly water bill is $40, which includes sewer fees (about half of the bill). Of course, we don't have any lawn watering to do, and a car wash lasts for six weeks or more. Even in winter.

Kayakor
Username: Kayakor

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About $150 a quarter for me in Ferndale. Fortunately, haven't had to water the lawn much this summer. Between the absurd Property Taxes and the water bill...Ferndale City Hall must love me.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here ya go
:
ferndale water bill

We do NOT water the lawn. We are a family of 4 with a dog. My wife will water the potted plants.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i pay about $130 a quarter in Ferndale. 2 people in the house, averaging 3 showers per day. i have a front loading washer and while i water a lot of plants around the yard and garden, i don't water the lawn much until late July or August.

my bill has increased substantially in the 6 years i've lived here, even though my water usage is flat. thanks Detroit Water Department! (FWIW, the City of Ferndale does a lot to keep our water rates down by pumping during non-peak hours.)

Colgatesmile
Username: Colgatesmile

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is it the Detroit Water Department responsible for the fees that Ferndale attaches to its customers?
Also, Detroit Water Department breaks down the bill (well my bill) based on previous balance, Water and sewerage usage, service charges and drainage charges. The bill posted does specify why 35 units costs 273.00
I can look at my bill check my meter and calculate the usage myself, if there is an estimated read, you can call in an actual read and have the bill adjusted. You can see exactly how much your bill goes up when the rates go up and do the calculation.
The city still automatically estimates the bill 8 times a year so when I see the estimate, so I call with an actual read.
Have you contacted Ferndale to see what the whole sale water rate is, and what fees are attached and why?
I dont support Detroit Water raising their rates every year, (along with DTE, health insurance, gas...) but it is what it is. I know its inconvenient, as a resident of Ferndale you may be able to influence the costs of their rates, before those of the Detroit Water and Sewer.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 276
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few years back, some friends who live in Roseville got a bill for over $5000, when they had been paying their bills regularly and on time. I can't recall now the reason why this happened, but they did fight it and got their bill reduced. It seems to me it may have been the inside vs. outside meter thing, but I'm not positive.

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colgatesmile-i'm well versed in the components that make up my water bill, and i am quite confident that Ferndale does a very good job of minimizing costs passed on to consumers (rate changes are well covered here through televised council meetings and by the local papers). While the Meter Charge and Meter Operations (MC and MO on the bill above) have gone up slighty over the years, the primary reason for the increase in my bills is due to the increase in Water/Sewer rates, which are predominantly influenced by the rate that DWS charges, despite the longstanding and ongoing efforts by our DPW to contain them through off-peak pumping and storage.

as for the readings, Ferndale only does actual readings, on a quarterly basis.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1482
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zimm, do you know where the city of Ferndale stores it's sewer water?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.