Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Paging Bulletmagnet « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paging me, paging me. I have never gotten a page before so I thought I would try it out just to see if I would respond to it.

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's frickin' funny! Ya board?

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can tell?? And a shout back to Bullet!

Turkeycall
Username: Turkeycall

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Bullet, go to the "irritating" site.

Turkeycall

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet,
I'm still waiting to hear from you.

Turkeycall

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet,
I thought that since you mentioned my name in another post on another thread about Balduck Park, you had an interest in knowing who I am.

Give me a shout.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1542
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shout.

Turkeycall

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet,
I was just surfing the net one day a couple of weeks ago and came across the DetroitYes site. It looked interesting and then got more interesting when I found a mention of Balduck Park.

On an earlier Balduck Park post you mentioned some neighborhood names from Farmbrook. My name was among them. When you mentioned 5241, well, of course I thought I knew who you are.

Then, in another post you mentioned your brother, "D".

Assuming you are not "Di", "L", "E", or "D", you might be "B", or "E". Probably not "La", or "S" and probably not "G". I'm having a heck of a time trying to remember who of the first ten arrived between "S" and "G". It's been 40 years, man. Did I have most of the first ten correct?

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. I would be "E". You have a heck of a nack for names. How 'bout a clue as to you...

Turkeycall

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet,
First clue: I did not wear a light blue shirt, dark blue tie and dark blue pants when I attended elementary school. My siblings didn't wear "the uniform" either.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hummm...Lets see now. That would make you an evil public school kid. Or you went to a Luthern school. Did your pops work for Budd Wheel?

Turkeycall

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet,
Oh,man!!! My clues are way too easy. Yeah, 5233, right next door. I worked at Budd, too. My older sister, "K", is four years older, my brother, "T" seven years younger. I must be "B", the one in the middle, right?

I came close to seeing your brother "D" a couple of years ago. I rolled through the old neighborhood, stopped in front of 5233. Imagine, a house made of bricks shrinking like that! Then I found out "D" owned the place and was renting it out. He wasn't home, though.

What a hoot it was watching your dad build several boats in the back yard. Then, the BIG project came along - add onto the house. We all got the chance to pound a few nails on that one.

It's hard to believe it's been about 40 years since seeing each other. Tell me where all the sibs are now. I'm guessing they must be pretty spread out over the countryside.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 6:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I'll be darned! Some times the past seems too much like a dream, and then some one comes along to make it real. I don't know how your family survived along side ours. Looking back, I feel sorry for your mom. She would hang clean laundry, and we would burn trash!
Most of us are here in Michigan still, with only one in Texas. (We grow roots) I'm in Ferndale with wife and two teens, boy and girl. I have been working at the City of GPF for about way too many years now, but am grateful and pretty happy.
Tell me about your clan, and how you came about DY.

Turkeycall

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet,
First, how I came about the DY:

Sitting at my desk at home, just a couple of weeks ago, I got to thinking about the old days in the neighborhood, things of fifty years ago. The common denominator for just about everything that happened in every kid's life back then was Balduck Park, especially the hill.

I just typed "Balduck Hill" into my browser and, Voila!, up came all kind of links. One was Detroit Yes! It looked interesting so I followed the conversation and got into a comfort zone of memories. It got more interesting when someone named Bulletmagnet mentioned Farmbrook and 5241, later said his sister, Lynne, had rented a house on Radnor, then, in another post, mentioned his brother, Dave. From there, it was just a process of elimination. I figured you were at the older end of the "first ten." either "B" or "E".

My dad retired from Budd in '78, passed away in '89. Mom passed in '03, just short of her 85th birthday. They had moved to the farm when they retired.

My sister, Kathy, went to Ferris State after high school, then Michigan State, taught school in the South Lake District while attending Wayne State for her Master's. She and her husband moved to Waukesha, WI in '74. She was an elementary school principal for the last 17 years, retiring this year.

Brother Tom went MSU, studied agriculture. He farms in the Thumb near Carsonville.

I was the black sheep of the family. I went to Ferris for six months and invited not to came back. Well, geez, I was having too much fun. The beer and the booze flowed as if Moses had struck a rock with his staff.

Came back home, was accepted for an apprenticeship at Budd in Machine Repair, enlisted in the Naval Reserve, served two years active duty - submarine tender, Guam - came back to finish the apprenticeship.

I was married in '76, had two boys, then we took the scenic route.

Moved to Houston in '80, moved back in '82. Then moved to Huntington, IN. I worked for General Motors in Marian, then transferred to Coopersville, MI in '92. My plant was absorbed into Delphi. You know the problems from there.

I took the retirement in '06. It's a good thing I raided my 401k to loan son, Matt, money for his business. He has a CNC machine shop in Spring Lake. I was the Treasurer for eight years but am now the Executive Vice President with no specific responsibilities.

Been married for almost 33 years to the same woman. She grew up on Spring Garden between Hayes and Chalmers.

How about you and yours?

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear about Mom and Dad. They were good to me as a youngin' and I am sad they are gone.
My Dad is still around, living in Harrison Township. He lost his second wife Gerry, just a few years ago. They had 5 more of us during their time together (Yes, 15!).
After I figured I couldn't take any more beatings at home, I had a better idea and left at age 17. I was drinking and getting drunk from grade 8 on, until I got sober 20 years ago. When I first left home, I lived with a friends family on Lafontaine, just across Balduck Park. From there I moved to a rented room on Devonshire near E. Warren that was the home of Daves' (at the time) girlfriends Mom. She (The mom) put up with my crap for a while as I worked as a hired hand at the Jefferson Vet Clinic near Indian Village. When she threw me out I moved into a 3 bed room apartment on Three Mile and E. Warren with the two older sibs, and stayed there for years after they moved out and married. These were the "wasted years" of my life: getting drunk and stoned and just not caring about where I was headed. I managed to get a crappy night job at Perinnis on Whitter, and was a Porter for about 4 years there. When I quit, I got unemployment. When that ran out, I got the job I work at now at the DPW. It took a while to get stright, but after I did, I met my wife who was living just down the street from me at the time.
I don't see to much of brother or sisters these days, but they all are around and we e-mail and spend the holidays together.
I found DY after I met Lowell (Admin) a personal friend of my wife. I love this site. I come here to be a smart ass and learn some things, and be profane and stupid, all at the same time. I find it the perfect place to meet the past!
I was thinking a lot about the past today and feeling lucky for having good neighbors then (unlike now, but that's a story for some other time).
I need to get some sack time, so I will post more on the morrow, as I am very tired now...zzzZZZzzz... got lots of questions...zzzZZZzzz...night!

Turkeycall

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet,
I had absolutely no idea that your life took those kinds of twists and turns. This sounds like it's going to get pretty deep. How about this? Send your address and e-mail to me at P.O. Box 35, Spring Lake, MI 49456.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got it. You may e-mail me at my super secret e-mail: john_doe395@hotmail.com

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.