Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Michigan unclaimed property « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3401
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading the Detroit News yesterday, I clicked on the link they had to the State of Michigan Unclaimed Property Division (http://www.michigan.gov/treasu ry/0,1607,7-121-44435-7924--,0 0.html).

Having left Michigan 24 years back, I wasn't surprised to find my name unmentioned. But then for the heck of it, I typed in the last name of my wife's parents, and, doggone, there was her Dad listed, with a claim number and a notation that the unclaimed property was 'DPL'. He died in 1977.

Yeah, that checks. He had stock in Dayton Power and Light for years. So I downloaded the claim form for my wife (she was an only child, and her Mom passed away years back also).

Things I had to provide were his death certificate, SS number, and an obituary notice showing Marge to be a legitimate claimant. Yup, had it all and made copies (how many folks keep obituaries from 1977? :-) )

Today we have to stop at the bank to get the form notarized with Marge's signature, and then off to the State of Michigan it goes. The form advises that it takes "up to 120 days" to process the claim.

I suspect it's a dividend check from DPL, probably in the $20 - $25 range. But you never know! Will let you all know down the line what develops.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2331
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes keep us advised on this. How exciting. I'll hope it's a sizeable amount of "foldin' money"...as my grandpa used to say!

Ray1936

Post Number: 3405
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will do, Erie. I thought the stock was sold after his death, but we're not really sure. By the way, correction. I found the link on the WXYZ-TV website, not The Detroit News.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7629
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, my mom is listed on there. I just told her she better check it out!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4509
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I put in my last name and found my ex wife, my brother, and my nephew.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried this out Ray, and all I got coming to me is a tax bill.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3409
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, if this claim turns out to be in seven figures, send me the tax bill. No prob.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did this a few years back(more like ten) and I ended up receiving a check from an insurance company, for the overpayment on a policy for a house I owned and sold. The check was for three hundred and something dollars. Pleasant surprise.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 373
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've done this before but since my first and last name could be interchanged (John Christopher or Christopher, John for example) the software doesn't make a distinction. I did type in my name and got one result:

XXXXXXX XXXXXX
City Unknown, Property Number: #######
Transferred from: WAYNE COUNTY TREASURER

I haven't lived in Wayne County in 30 years and I was only 7 at the time so I'm assuming this claim is for the person with my reverse name, so to speak.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2228
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been trying to track down and close out all the penny stocks from all the acquisitions that my Baby Bells bought and sold in the 90's. And what a hassle, what with notarized death certificates, computer glitches, registered mail, and phone calls to close out on $63.00 worth of stocks.Well, they can keep it. It's costs more to close it than it's worth.

Or they can call me, when it reaches $100.00 in 2130 A.D.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well....my name is on it lots. Not enuff info to be at all useful to know if its really me to go thru filing a claim tho. dang...... like hearing half a joke tho.

(Message edited by n7hn on July 28, 2008)

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 450
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if the unclaimed property could possibly be a bill (as bulletmagnet alludes to)?

The web site states that these items are "assets from dormant bank accounts, uncashed checks, valuables left in safe deposit boxes and stock certificates."

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.