Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Anybody interested in a movie night downtown? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it would be fun to get a group together for a movie at the Riverfront 4, drinks, and maybe dinner.

We could do a weeknight movie at 7ish, and go out for drinks after the movie.

OR

We could do a weekend movie (maybe Saturday), with dinner at 7ish, a movie at 9ish, and drinks after.

If you are interested in this idea, please post your suggestions and preferences...

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great idea!

Link: http://www.riverfront4.com/

We could always go to the Ford and Wyoming Drive-In too (for really special movie events?).

Link: http://www.fordwyomingdrivein. com/

Is there a new drive in in the city? I seem to remember a mention of a new one opening soon

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13411
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes...and I'm up for the drive-in party, too.

Mentioned it to someone while we were driving out to Dearborn one day and they said they heard about some gang troubles at the Ford/Wyoming?

Whatever...

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no real gangs in Detroit, only cliques and groups. I think we'll be fine.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 4:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its strange how gangs HAVNT been a part of Detroit culture.

enjoy it while it isnt.

Id love to have a reg movie nite at the Wyomingf, sounds like fun. I dont do dinner out though, unless someone else is payin.
Thats just my cheapass ass speakin my reality.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, I'm guessing it would be just for the sake of meeting beforehand or whatever. I'm sure it would be somewhere cheap. You could always just get a Conney, or a beer, or even a free glass of water. It's more for the social thing, like going to a bar or coffee shop to meet people.

Hey. Just thinkin' and throwing stuff out there. A movie night every week is excessive. There really aren't always enough movies out within a season to keep us busy. How about a just sort of mixed event addition to the Thursday FSC stuff? Maybe one week we could hit the Garden Bowl in Midtown. Then the next week we could go do a movie. Then the next week doing whatever?

Or we could just stick to movies if enough people are movie fans. Another idea might be to just stick with the Thursday thing with other random events... or doing it before or after the Thursday things. If everyone wants to keep the spontaneity of it, that could still be done.

Erikd, sorry! I don't mean to steal your thread. I'm just offering my view and then some ideas. It's all up to you and everyone else. I'll be happy with whatever you all want to do.

PS: You guys have to believe that I really want to be a part of all this, otherwise I wouldn't be wasting all this time and such. At least, I hope you believe it. This is going to be fun!

I do like certain regular meeting spots you all have and use, but it would be nice to switch it up every so often to keep things interesting, and also for newbies to get acquainted with the city more as a whole. Maybe still have a regular place most of the time, or possibly even a cycle type thing? Just more ideas. Again, I'm down for whatever, wherever.

The one thing I'm curious about, is If I actually have met some of you before, and don't realize it. That would be kind of neat. Luckily I don't have any big enemies actually in the city (that I know of). Not everyone likes me of course, but I don't think anyone completely hates me.

Still, for some reason I'm nervous. Don't know why.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9362
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it that hard to just post a date and time to meet up at a place?

Some people will show, others will not.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever works! :-)

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope you all enjoy yourselves. Before our kids were born, the wife and I would participate in these type get-togethers and usually were happy to have done so. But then I enjoy meeting "new" people. Never been much of a bar-hopper, however, we've done book-clubs, which are very nice in the colder months when people prefer the indoors. Unfortunately, I can't make it to any DYes events, primarily due to proximity.

Nonetheless, promote and advertise your get-together plans and "they will come" (those who are interested). Make it fun and interesting. Would advise NOT to make it dependent on any one persons personality as that does not stand the test of time. Think "the sum of the parts is greater than the whole". A moderator/chairperson can help guide and record details about your groups purpose, which may not be always obvious. But if that scares you, sometimes, the "fly-by-seat-of-pants" approach works ok - if you are lucky. Well there are my un-solicited recommendations :-)

Jams

Post Number: 9382
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Simply, I'm a guy, who in a past life, decided a date, "organized" a fundraiser or two for this forum, and a bunch of people showed up.

No need for all the angst.

Erikd

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How about a just sort of mixed event addition to the Thursday FSC stuff? Maybe one week we could hit the Garden Bowl in Midtown. Then the next week we could go do a movie. Then the next week doing whatever?

Sean_of_detroit,

That is a good idea.

Erikd

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everybody,

Would you rather do this on a Saturday night, or weeknight?

Please post your preferences, and we will go with the most popular.

I would prefer Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday nights.

Jams

Post Number: 9403
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Date_________

Time_________

Will attend Yes___ No____

Comments______________________ ________

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thursday will always be problematic for me personally, but it's not about me, so whatever. My vote is for Saturday though. I know Saturday might be a family or religious day for some, so again, whatever.

It looks like our nice selection for this week is:

1. Hancock
2. Hellboy 2
3. Wally-E
4. Wanted

I've heard nothing about any of them, and don't really have a preference. What are you guys thinking?

Django

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im down for anything if I can catch a ride as I dont drive. Im sure I could catch a ride with Gannon or Jams or someone else. I could ride there on my bike if needed..

Saturday is good for me. I have no Idea what any of those movies are about.

Do they have a swing set below the screen in case I get bored or if Gannon starts rambling during the movie? LOL

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that's at Riverfront 4

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dark Knight is at Ford-Wyoming.

Starts Thursday night at midnight.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11825
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw Wall-E a few days ago, damn good movie!

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get Smart? I miss the shoe phone on T.V. every night.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the idea. Any one up for a flick at the DIA?

Erikd

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saturday seems like the best day to do this, so...

Let's do our first movie night next Saturday night, July 26th.

We should meet at a nearby restaurant/bar, and then go to a show around 9pm. We will pick the exact movie and showtime when the movie schedule is updated next week.
------------------

Post your suggestions for a bar/restaurant near the RenCen to meet at.

Sweet Lorraine's, Jacoby's, Sweetwater Tavern, and Tom's Oyster Bar are all very close to the RenCen, but there are plenty of others to choose from...

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm interested! Please tell me there is at least one other woman planning on going also! I've been living in this city for a year now and don't know a soul....it's hard to meet people when you work from home. So many cool places I drive past or hear about and I'm just dying to get to know this city better. Including the people in it. ;)

Django

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tki. Even if there wasnt another woman going Im sure you would feel at ease. Of all the forumers Ive met its a pretty relaxed and very kind group. But Im sure there will be a few women comming.

Erie? Pam? Ally?

Im gonna try and make it but no promises. I seem to say Im comming to events and punk out at the last minute.

4th St Fair is a sure thing tomorrow.

Tki. 4th st Fair would be a great intro to all the good folks of Detroit if you can make it. Look for a few of us sitting couches with martini glasses.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2371
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww! Thanks for thinkin' of me Django :-) - But I doubt I would drive that far for a movie night. We're half an hour from Windsor and I can't count on the tunnel traffic or customs. We were held up in that traffic 90 minutes last Sunday! Besides next Saturday we have a 75th birthday party to attend. But really thanks for thinkin' of me bud! :-)

Tki - Took my family to Historic Fort Wayne for my first meet up with some of the folks from here. I can 2nd what Django said about the group. They are very nice and kind people. Had a good time with them and look forward to the next time we meet. If you go you won't be sorry. Go and have fun with the gang.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 612
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking forward to a dinner and a movie. Tki, come on out. It's always a great time no matter who you meet up with.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may wander over to the 4th St Fair once I finish my work here today - providing the weather holds out. Looking kind of dreary out there! Regarding movie night next week in - I'm in. :-)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4282
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Erie? Pam? Ally?

Can't make it, sorry. TK, you should have come to the forum picnic in May. That was pretty balanced gender-wise.

Erikd

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plan on meeting at Sweet Lorraine's (in the Millender Center) at 7:30pm.

http://www.sweetlorraines.com/ Detroit.html

The late shows start around 9 or 10pm. The exact movie listings will be available on Friday.

http://www.riverfront4.com/

Dday will be joining us, as will a friend from Turkey, who is making his first trip to Detroit.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to ask what movie, but what the hey? Not much of a selection of movie type.

I'm not a big action fan... neither is Kally or Amanda. I think I/we might sit this one out. I'll probably still be up for Sweet Lorraines though.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 645
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't make it. We are doing the Book reading and Movie Night In the Garden.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SoD backs out again.... never saw it coming :-)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2986
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why, but of course my good man. :-)

We'll meet outside the Hotel Eddystone and take a quick stroll to Woodward, hop on the trolley then get off at Adams Ave. and walk through the park to the Madison Theatre.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, we should just go over to Cub's Garden for a movie, LOL!

Is it really that big of a deal to you guys? I just know the girls aren't going to want to see any of those, and I'm not going to be able to split up from them. We'll still be in the CBD though, and can meet up at Sweet Lorraines.

I have to double check when we're supposed to be at Fort Wayne too. I'm thinking we are going to be helping out a little for the workday. It's on Saturday too.

PS: I'm not going to be on the boards a whole lot the next few days. I have some work to finish up before I do anything this weekend. It's probably for the better. A lot of the posts this week have been full of put downs towards me. It's a good excuse to just ignore most of them, you know?

Anyway, shoot me and E-mail if you post and I don't answer. My e-mail is this name at Yahoo.com. If you want, I can give you my number to call or text, should you need it (Sorry, I've been encouraged not to post it directly on the boards).

(Message edited by sean_of_detroit on July 24, 2008)

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, who's going tomorrow?

I'm thinking we might go to Cub's instead... I'm waiting to talk to Kally early this morning before I post anything in those threads though.

Some of you guys seem to be getting frustrated with me... please know that I try. Also, please remember (as I mentioned in a couple past threads awhile ago) at least half the time I am driving down from Flint or Saginaw (I do work both up there and Detroit, and scents Kally lives up in Saginaw, I end up there a lot, especially on the weekends). I am more sorry that it causes so many problems than you guys could imagine.

I especially want to apologize to Plymouthers again for missing the special invite.

We had a condo that was supposed to be ready at the beginning of July, but the project was cancelled indefinitely. Now we have a apartment that is supposed to be ready soon. There combining two units for us, and this also keeps getting pushed back. I am WAY beyond frustrated.

You guys have no idea... :-(

I'm going to talk to Kally and post ASAP.

Diane12163
Username: Diane12163

Post Number: 192
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's too bad that Coldwater, MI is a 2 hour drive because they have the best drive in anywhere and it's safe and clean with a great food bar. Their drive in was featured on Food Network with Mark Summers. They have 2 screens with double features on both. You tune in a FM radio station for the sound and the view is fab. They open at dusk and are open from about April till the end of October. They charge $8 for both movies per person. There is a great Little Ceasars and Taco Bell in town which when I lived there I used to go to and get pizza or mex and also got snacks and candy and pop and just sat back, relaxed and enjoyed when I got to the theatre and parked. Their website is:
www.capri.com or it might be www.capridrivein.com

I myself would love a movie night. Only take me about 18 hours to get there. I'm in Houston. LOL

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1985
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.fordwyomingdrivein. com/

We just saw the new Mummy movie at the Ford Wyoming. Its also safe and clean and uses FM (or the drive-in speakers if you prefer). Was a lot of fun!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.