Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Question on A/C compressor for mini-van « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Maof2
Username: Maof2

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any input would be appreciated. I need a new air conditioning compressor for my van. We took it to the dealership and they want $800. for a new one. Someone suggested a "rebuilt" one for about $550. Are these rebuilt ones o.k.? Will they last? I just don't know what to do.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13378
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

USUALLY, rebuilt units function as well as new.

Ask around to a few trusted and recommended places which brand they use, and you might find a trend.

Stay away from the dealerships, their service departments have been profit centers for years.

Where are you located? The absolute best and most trustworthy AC mechanics I've EVER met are on Woodward just north of Eleven Mile on the west side of the street...Northern Repairs.

Pretty sure the manager's name is Mark...straight up honest fellow. I used to have all my standard VW work done there, too.

(248) 548-6748

Maof2

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon - thanks. I'm in Harrison Township. This noise has been going on for about 8 months. Took it to several places and they couldn't pinpoint it. Finally, took it to the dealership and they nailed what it was right away. I really have no intentions of having a dealership do the work because as you said, they are profit centers. Just wanted to use them to confirm my suspicions!

Upinthewoods
Username: Upinthewoods

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ma- what make model is the car? I had a 95 grand am with a compressor that had a blown bearing. Sound like a shaking spray paint can. Luckily, on that particular engine the water pump and power steering were cam-driven. So when the pump seized and blew the belt all I had to do was keep the battery charged. I drove it like this till pay-day when I could buy a "new" compressor. Anyways I bought mine at a junkyard for $80 Lasted the life of the car.

Maof2

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrysler T&C 2001. Actually, it sounds like a rattle/grinding type noise. It does make the noise, but not as much, when I turn the a/c off.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 892
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrysler? Yikes. A lot of problems with compressors/AC in that era. If you bought it new and your selling dealer wants to sell you one for $800 then that must mean that there are no silent recalls or make-good programs still floating on these. If you've not returned to your selling dealer you should try it... maybe there is an interest in goodwill repair or a goodwill discount.

If the dealer is no help then definitely go after-market - less expensive.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re-mans are just as good, as long as they are certified.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.