Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Audra Kubat's Dinner and Show Amazements and More « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13169
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were blessed with an awesome surprise at Audra Kubat's monthly Dinner and a Show parlor music series at Jean Wilson's Woodbridge home Friday night.

An ethereal fellow by the name of Ian Cooke drove in from Denver, on his way to the PrideFest in Toronto, with his engagingly brilliant bandmates. (I figured they were superhuman from the extra oxygen closer to sea level!) He was not booked and billed in advance, but through some synergistic gift from the universe learned about the gig and was able to be accommodated at the last minute.

I lost myself in his solo Cello and vocal performance, enhanced via some very creative sampling loops to occasionally sound as if there were three of him...both instrumentally AND vocally!

Then I noticed that nobody else in the room was breathing...we were ALL caught up in the lingering magical moment.

They will be driving back through town Monday, and I'd LOVE to get them booked into a venue that will do them justice...and let me run the sound board.

I cannot describe his music...but mesmerizing fits, even if I cannot tag the genre. Ethereal Mesmer.

Audra opened the night with three lovely new songs, followed by her longtime friend and manager (and accomplished musician/producer/promoter/gad fly) Stirling accompanied by Eddie Baranek of the Sights. Eddie played a killer vintage archtop jazz guitar that I swear emitted some smoke by the third song...he really is a master on the stringed axe, and an amazingly personable and funny fellow.

Stirling and Eddie slyly hinted at the eventual release of an album they've been working on for three years along with some of the area's greatest rock names, keep your eyes and ears peeled for a VINYL release party within a month or two. We heard a few tunes from it, and I am already tuning my turntable up.

Ian followed, then after enjoying a swarm of enthusiastic CD sales...HE was enthralled by James Hart III's edgy experimental rock band The Swis Family Robinson...who put on the best performance I've seen from them yet. They stretch boundaries with their free-flow orchestrations behind Hart's extreme wordsmithing.

In all, it was a wonderful night...and proof that Audra's concept of in-home performance with a complimentary light dinner is spot on. The comfort and love and peace of this homeplace simply could NOT flow in a bar or large-venue space. You owe it to yourself to keep the last Friday of the month open, if you want to get the next taste of greatness from her and those gifted individuals drawn by her magnetism. Keep up with Audra at her MySpace page.

Look to the Park Stage at CityFest for many of these folks to tickle ears and make smiles...Friday from Six O'Clock on, especially. Don't miss Jaye Thomas' Apartment 4 on Sunday night, either! (he's one of my regulars at the Cafe 1923 Coffeehouse Thursday Open Mic, and an absolutely great guy)

Cheers!

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My roommate Snowbank says Stirling just released his new CD the other day I believe.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2061
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, Django, spill the beans on Snowbank.
How did he get his name?

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 358
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hahaha add Django on Facebook and watch the video. LOLOLOLOL

Gannon

Post Number: 13287
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ian and his friends stopped in Monday to say thanks for the beautiful night, it was as special for them as it was for us.

He was WAY too whipped from two rousing performances in Toronto to play, even if we COULD get a gigspace...but they left behind four of his curious new discs...bound in an origami wrapper.

They are now available for sale...with the proceeds going right back to him, don't worry...although I may get one to Craiggy at WDET to promote this amazing gent and the folks who travel with him.

They are already talking about the next time, too.

It IS about time to get more of this burgeoning parlor series stuff played on WDET, one way or another! Seems Craiggy is wisely sneaking in the music to promote live venues and acts in town, but Ian's stuff can work between segments, too.

Django

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb, sorry, I just saw your post a sec. ago.

Snowbank, Im sooo glad you asked cause its a good one. I hope I can translate it well enough though.

My roomie stopped by my Ex girls house this past winter where I was staying while healing the eyeballs. He of course brought a fifth of the 5 o clock shadow so we could have a few drinks. You have to understand that roomie doesn't just like to drink, hes a professional. So anyway he finally stumbles out of the house to head home to our place about 10 blocks away, I didn't think anything of it.
The next day roommies telling me about how he woke up this morning, in the snow beside the road, all wet, with a German Shepherd licking his face. You have to understand hes telling me all this matter a fact like, not even a grin, while Im LMAO.
Later on I told this to my Ex and she said, without pause "he probably fell down in a snowbank drunk and said to himself, This isn't so bad down here, I think Ill stay for a while"
When I brought up what She had said about him, he replied "Yeah,,,That's exactly what happened" We all laugh hysterically every time that story comes up.
Hence the name Snowbank, AKA Mort, The Mayor of Belle Isle, and also The Motivational Speaker.

As far as the videos go on facebook, Ive also drawn a bicycle and a Buddah, but the best one I didnt get on tape, It was just some simple eyebrows, but the fact he took the bus to work without realizing I had put them there was the best. Hes a good sport.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django - I have to meet you and go on one of your packard tunnel tours! You're too funny.

My boy leaf-pile got his name the same way!

Django

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im down for that J. BTW, Snowbanks new bike is up.

Well have to get leaf-pile and Snowbank together so they can compare blackouts.

Srry Im jackin

Bigb23

Post Number: 2104
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank God he didn't fall in dog shit on his way home.

Snowbank is WAAYYY cooler! :-)

Django

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just showed Snowbank this thread and hes fallin all over himself laughing. Hes a good sport. His birthday is the 4th of July actually.
Hes wondering if you got the Motivational speaker joke moniker Bigb?

Bigb23

Post Number: 2107
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django -

quote:

He's wondering if you got the Motivational speaker joke moniker Bigb?

For the win Alex -

I'm guessin' that he's always up for a party?

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell Snowbank I said Happy Birthday! He sounds like a cccool guy! At least he picked somewhere soft to land!

Django

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember SNL Bigb, with Chris Farley the motivational speaker who "Lives in a van, down by the river"

Snowbank lived in his van for quite a while on Belle Isle. He essentially lived in his van, down by the river.

Edited because I thought the joke was funnier than it really was.

(Message edited by django on July 03, 2008)

Gannon

Post Number: 13311
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What?!

Just because I didn't laugh at it yesterday when we were driving?

I told you I missed most of Farley's tenure at Saturday Night Live...and the only van I knew on Belle Isle was that woman and her two children that were highlighted on Anderson Cooper's homeless survey of America segment.

It's funny, Snowbank is a riot waiting to happen!

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snowbank would make a great name for a particular dog variety (Alaskan Husky).

Bigb23

Post Number: 2115
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django - What movie motivated your moniker?

And I'm THIS far from living in a van down by the river! (and I sold the van).
Motivation???

Okay - Snowbank - keep the name!

Django

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Friday, July 04, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy 4th everyone.

Bigb, you mean MY name django? It was my first dogs name, an amazing animal, I got it from the jazz guy Reinholdt <sp.

Id offer you a corner in my shack but Ive already got one motivational speaker too many. LOL

Bigb23

Post Number: 2133
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd only need a corner of your "shack" after a party.

Thus - no need for a nickname like "Curbside" :-)

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, you live the life that you were ment to live.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.