Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Newcomer « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum although I have been an avid follower for quite some time. I thought I should sign up and chime in once and a while instead of just sitting on the sidelines! I don 't live there anymore but I was born and raised in Detroit and have very fond memories of what "she" was like back then. All these memories come flooding back when reading many of your posts. Looking forward to participating.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whhats up bred. Welcome

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2056
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I need to chime in with Django to send out a Big Detroit Welcome to the Board, Detroitbred!

:-)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2922
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome aboard, Detroitbred!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13122
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There we go!

Cheers...great to have another lurker test the water.

Were you east side...west side? How long ago did you move away, and does your new area have four seasons?

(as IF we still do any longer...heh)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitBRED? hmmm, a little insight into the parents' private habits is quite revealing, you sure mom would approve?

Maybe I should change my name to DeSoto.

Django could become Ford/Wyoming Drive-in (a little long I know). Gannon, hmmm, FishFryFriday?

Anyway, welcome and enjoy the banter. :-)

Gannon

Post Number: 13124
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There might've been a bowling alley in the recipe, and a few beers.

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome,great group of people here.Dave

Detroitbred

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone for the welcome! I grew up on the west side...Telegraph / Schoolcraft area, pre Jeffries of course. I am proud to say that my dad was a Detroit cop for 30 + years. I didn't get too far though - I am in...I'm afraid to say...Livonia. And it really is a nice place to live, raise a family, etc. Not without it's problems, but name a place that doesn't have some.

Django

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bred. You got kids, I dont blame you one bit for livin in the Burbs. It sucks but this city is no place for kids with parents who care. Unless you have the time or money to make sure they can go to Cass Tech or a private, their better off in Livonia.

Im no scholar on the school system so please feel free to "skool" me if anyone has some views on the subject.

Gannon

Post Number: 13132
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know of two children of one of our more endearing forumers who will dash your opinion to dust, Django.

You've not spent any time in Corktown, have you?

Their parents care, regardless of what my nosy aunt has to say.

Same with those children in Cub's neighborhood. We cannot dump wholescale on those who choose to stay in the city...and use public schools.

Every single Detroit teacher I know is frustratingly concerned with their charges, but are hamstrung by an incompetent and corrupt administration...and abused by bad parents.

Still, nobody can accuse D'bred's breeders of wrongdoing in getting him and his co-breedlings into the relatively newburbs...not at all...although I'd swear the building of the Jefferies predated the elimination of residency requirements for police officers. (heh)

Two of my best friends are Livonians...just behind Bates in that old subdivision, earliest in the town far as I know. It is great fun to visit them...kinda like vacation!

Cheers

Django

Post Number: 1104
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 4:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sunshine, you know most parents want their kids to have a great education, and of course the teachers want to do their best but if your kid was getting ready for 1st grade, would you want them in Detroit schools?

I feel like a traitor saying that but??

Detroitbred

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to all Detroit public schools (Redford High)and when I got married my husband and I bought our 1st house in Detroit. Lovely home, nice neighbors, etc. We left after some break in problems that made us afraid to stay...ended up in Livonia due to family and friends already there. My kids got a good education in Livonia, good city services, and I have always felt safe. As I said, not without it's share of problems but those problems pale in comparison to Detroit's. It makes me very sad...my parents are both gone now and all my childhood memories are forever linked with the City of Detroit.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6817
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitbred, welcome to The Forum.
In about 1953, Ray1936 and jjaba canvassed Livonia seeking new customers for the Detroit Times. We worked outta the substation at Washburn and Grand River. jjaba lived at Northlawn and Schoolcraft.

Two religions in his neighborhood: Catholics (St. Brigid) and Publics. jjaba was a Public; Noble, Tappan, Cass Tech.

As it turned out, our whole damn neighborhood moved to Livonia. Maybe you can verify how many poeople you know who moved out there from inner Schoolcraft. Ever shop at Belian's Market? He was on Northlawn and Intervale.

Our dentist, Dr. Peters, moved out there.

jjaba, on the Westside.

Gertrude
Username: Gertrude

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Detroitbred! I grew up on Riverview in the 80s obviously after the Jeffries went in. I have really great memories growing up there and nearly moved back when I returned to Michigan 11 years ago. The last five years have not been kind to that neighborhood, though, with the school closures.

Nice to see you here.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.