Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Paging The_Rock « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed in the Pontiac Thread that you made some references to old dead relatives in Oakland County. I would like to direct your attention to a Biographical Sketch book done by Chapman Bros of Chicago in 1891.

There were several companies across the US that did these books, but the Chapman Bros did quite a few here in Michigan. They were similar to those "Who's Who in America" offers that wind up in your mailbox every couple of years. Essentially, you pay them to print a write-up about how great you are. The Chapman Bros had quite a little racket. They would have their agents fan out through a Township and encourage folks to sign-up and pay for a glowing report of all their good deeds. I believe they had a sliding scale of a $20, $75, $100 or $200 dollar Biographical Sketch. For $20 bucks you got a paragraph and a copy of the book. For $200 you got a artist's rendering of your estate along with pics of you and the bride.

My gggrandfather opted for the $75 buck treatment.

Anyway, you might want to check out this link and see if a gggrandpa had a sketch written for himself. There is a "search" box on the right, but you'll have to scroll down to find it. Use alternative surname spellings if something doesn't pop right up.

Another source of biographical data was written by a guy named Durrant in 1912 (I think). Durrant's book is a bit more objective, but it can be an interesting read. I don't have a link for Durrant's work but you can find it at the Oakland County Historical Society.

The OCHS is located in Pontiac on the grounds of the Wisner Museum. You'll need to google map it for directions from your place in GP; but it is either on Ceasar Chavis or Oakland Ave next to Wisner Stadium, home of the Pontiac Chieftans.

Make sure you call over there before you show up. They have a Director, but the place is mainly run by volunteers. I call it God's Little Waiting Room.

Of particular interest is a card catalog of Pontiac families. Some lady started working on collecting obits, marriage annoucements, etc back in the 1920's. She kept at it until the 1970's or 80's. It is jammed with info. but because it is written in her own code you'll need help finding the article refered to on the note cards.

Since the place operates on shoestring sweat, bring cash if you acually want to look at old copies of polk directories, address books or the aforementioned Chapman Brothers book.

good luck

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2419
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome---Many, many , many thanks for posting the info on the Chapman Bros publication of 1891. By coincidence, I have a copy of that volume- 4 inches thick, 950 pages, weighs a ton!. But I did not know that you paid Chapman to get your bio published. Very interesting. My ggggrandfather must have paid the full $200, as they not only gave him a flattering write-up, there is also a very nice line drawing of his 130 acre farm/estate called " Hickory Grove Stock Farm".
I also have a Chapman Bros publication (1892) for the counties of Lapeer, Tuscola, and Genesee. Full page portrait ( drawings) appear in that one.
And notes that our family historian left me, my late aunt Peg who passed away recently at the age of 94, indicate yet another publication, this one done by "Biographical Publishing Company", (1903) which includes bios of my grandfather ( the Judge) and his father, too. Maybe that is another Chapman's. I will have to ask my cousin who I believe has it now.
And I also have another large volume "History of Oakland County, With Illustrations", 1877. That was put out by Everts and Co. of Philadelphia. It includes what are described as "Palatial Residences". And the back of the book lists every Oakland County man who fought in the Civil War, (Referred to as the "War of The Rebellion"as well as his division.
I have been to the Wisner Museum and have reviewed some of the records out there. Aunt Peg was a member of the OCHS, and donated both $ and memorabilia to them. They are a dedicated group.
Lots of history out there in Oakland County and the once proud City of Pontiac. We are fortunate so much of its history is preserved. Again, my thanks.

Gnome

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock:
Yes, those books are quite a load to haul around. I feel sorry for the Rural Route delivery men that had to make the deliveries.

You may want to edit your above post as it reveals the name of your gggranpa's farm. A quick double checking shows your Rensselaer Roots showing.

The other book I was refered to was written by Thomas Seeley in 1912, not Durant. Must be getting old. You can scan the Seeley tome by going to google, typing in Thomas Seeley, then pulling down the "more" tab and highlighting "books".

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 367
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are currently referred to as "vanity books" due to the bragging, I think. LOL!

If I may butt in here, my ggggrandfather and his son are mentioned in this edition. Pages 845 and 299.

Thanks for the link, I didn't know this was available online. I had seen a copy of this previously. I will be sure to show the kids and grandkids.

Gnome

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, they are in the Seeley book.

I bend my knee at your famed background.

----

If you read enough of the write ups you will see a pattern to phrasing that is not detectable without snooping around. A recurring phrase used to describe the place of a subject's birthplace is, "... he first saw the light in ______" or to mention a death "...she went to sleep in Jesus" or their journey to Michigan "...they turned their faces Westward". Pretty florrid stuff.

Kind of interesting. See, I get this image in my head of some stooge riding a donkey cart from farm to farm and pouring syrup all over some farmer about how great his farm is, how accomplished he is, how important and respected he is ... appealing to his vanity, and the vanity of his wife, in order to get a "sale".

I get this feeling the salesman had a punch-card that listed bullet points: name, place of birth, father's name, political affilation, accomplishments ... he collects the down payment, then sends off his punch-card notes to Chicago where some stoop shouldered out-of-work poet is cranking out these florid descriptions all following the Horatio Alger flight path of hard work and God's grace equals American success.

Then the Salesman pops in a couple of months later with the book and a few fly-sheet extras for the farmer to mail out to his long forgotten relatives. Of course the fly-sheets are extra ...

Maybe I'm all wet, and my fantasy is just that, but with those images in mind I like to read between the lines of the "Sketches". It makes them less tedious.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6788
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just today, Mrs. jjaba got a call for a Who's Who in the Peace Corps. After making sure the entry for her was correct, they pitched her for the book. She said no before they got to the current price.

Happy to know that The Rock is of such Blue Blood stock in Ponitac, a proud city rich with history, mansions, and wonderful people.

jjaba.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.