Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Mackenzie Reunion Sunday June 29 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least that's what it says in my calendar. Details are in the HOF Mackenzie thread but I thought I'd post this to remind myself.

Ray1936, I'll leave the light on for you.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3311
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, 68. I'll be there in spirit.

Mackenzie68
Username: Mackenzie68

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ray,
Wasn't it a party! The new playing field is beautiful and I was told it was the only one in the city with TWO scoreboards, one provided by Dave Bing. No one was sure if it was in use at all since the building is shuttered tight.

There were three DJs set up, lots of awnings and when we were there, about 200 people. They had some bouncy towers for the kids, and a couple food stands. We left when the rain came in earnest and cruised Belle Isle.

I was with a friend from the class of 66 and we were the most senior at that point. Lots of blue and gray, I never thought to wear the colors. In fact, I may have been dressed for Chadsey. Oops. People were nice and friendly and tried not to show how sorry they felt for these elderly ladies. Yeah, I know.

There were a couple traffic enforcement cops and one with a regular patrol car who settled in to a rousing game of dominos.

After the rain and our Belle Isle picnic, I cruised the field again about seven. Gridlock for blocks! Cars filling the old drivers ed field, the regular parking lots, the empty field I hiked across to school and side streets for blocks. Quite an event! They told me it is always the last Sunday in June and they got $10.00 from me to join the alum assoc. I'll keep you informed.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3339
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, '68. Sounds like a blast!

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 594
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thousands in attendance for the annual all-classes reunion at Mackenzie High School (Sunday, June 29); I took my family along for the festivities.

We started out on school grounds; the entire first floor of the building is reasonably secure.
Doors are welded shut, reinforced steel shutters cover all ground level windows. The school board did not authorize any sort of security system for upper level windows - there is evidence of trespassing. We did observe storm water flooding within the building; clogged drainage systems/broken & open (upper level) windows are to blame. Perhaps a missing pipe...or two?

Otherwise...in fairness to the board and with thanks to Mackenzie's supporters, the building and campus appear to be in very good condition.
Mackenzie's football/track and field stadium is absolutely beautiful; I know that area football & track teams make use of the facility - made me feel good to see that Mackenzie lives on in that regard.

After inspecting the grounds, it was Hammerberg Time!

The massive reunion festival was taking place on the athletic facility formerly known as Hammerberg Field, at the c/o West Chicago and Wyoming.

Words cannot describe the joy; suffice to say...it was mind-boggling to walk with so many Mackenzie-Loving People.

I sure do Love Mackenzie!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6847
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lovely report. Good to learn of the excitement for the local high school. jjaba's brother graduated from there, class of '61. jjaba would have gone there except for the draw of Cass Tech. High School. In 1956, jjaba took his driver's ed. on the Mackenzie lot. We lived on Northlawn near Schoolcraft.

jjaba, Proudly Westsider.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.