Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » English Descent Roll Call « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 540
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grand fathers line from England came over in 1720. His son was a Col. under General George Washington. And was one of the original founders of Vermont.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 593
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mother's side is from Surrey - Woking and Oxshott - but only two generations ago. That's cool that you can trace back that far.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3301
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thomas Downing was the immigrant from Devon to Pennsylvania in 1717. A Quaker, he was likely seeking religious freedom in William Penn's land. The town of Downingtown, PA, is named for him. My 6th gt grandfather.

Thomas' line is traced back six more generations to 1555 thanks to a parish church in Devon.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2918
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On my mother's mother's side of the family, we are descended from three Mayflower passengers: Richard Warren, a London merchant; and John Cooke and his Francis Cooke, who married Richard's daughter Sarah at Plymouth.

Another ancestor Benjamin Nye, born 1620 in Kent, England, was a shiphand on The Abigail and arrived in America in 1635. It is not known whether he stayed, but eventually he did settle in Barnstable County, Massachusetts. Supposedly the Nyes are descended from the King of Sweden in the 1300s.

This line of the family came to Michigan when my grandmother came from Indianapolis to Detroit when she married my grandfather (a 2nd-generation Irish-German American).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.